Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 12-01-2019, 01:53 PM   #1
whifflebird
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Calling out tankers in B227

I reported both of these teams a week ago and nothing was done. They were in a bronze league (B227) with a roster full of diamonds and perfects and pulled them to replace with all iron in the playoffs. I already reported them once, and nothing was done. Now the playoffs have started and they pulled their cards to replace with iron cards.

edit..
Names Redacted - Devs have clearly sanctioned tanking, so why should I call them out?

So I have a 2-part question. First, are you guys going to do anything about this finally? Second, when I look at their history they have both been getting away with this for a long time over many seasons so how have they not been banned yet? What they are doing is beyond obvious...

Last edited by whifflebird; 12-05-2019 at 11:12 PM.
whifflebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 01:59 PM   #2
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

It is a pointless exercise now. People dont get banned for this. Ive checked out random owners Ive seen in tournaments who are still in iron with lineups of perfects

The structure of the game is fatally flawed
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 02:02 PM   #3
waittilnextyear
All Star Starter

Keep fighting the good fight.

Unfortunately, there hasn't been a system devised as of yet that automatically monitors teams for bad behavior. So, OOTP has basically contracted it out to us to find the bad behavior and then report it to them for enforcement purposes. It seems to me that enforcement has been spotty at best. You can clearly see this in the team history page for teams as they yo-yo up and down with what appears to be nothing stopping them from doing this.

It would be nice if the devs wouldn't put this 'hall monitor badge' on us in future iterations of PT or if they'd just come out and say that tanking is fine and everyone would be able to do it. It would be even more of a wild west, but at least not incongruent with the reality on the ground.

Of all the things they've done with PT this cycle (most of them good), the never-ending dilemma over tanking and other methods of cheating has to be the most annoying.

waittilnextyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 02:13 PM   #4
daves
Hall Of Famer

Why are they doing this?
Is this a points scam?
Is the perfect level too populated with great teams?

daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 02:17 PM   #5
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

its not a "scam", the game is encouraging you to stay at lower levels because that is where you make more points

This was pointed out as a bad design from like the first week of release last year. Obviously people are going to try to make points so you design around that by aligning incentives. Instead its ass backwards.
Old 12-01-2019, 02:22 PM   #6
whifflebird
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves View Post
Why are they doing this?
Is this a points scam?

Imagine if MLB players were paid based on how many home runs they hit over the course of a year, but you allowed them to face MLB pitching, college pitching or high school pitching, and each homerun counted the same regardless of who they hit off of.

Well, of course guys would drop down to lower levels to beat up on the competition since the reward is the same, but the goal is a lot easier.

Hopefully they make the rewards commensurate with the effort to compete in higher levels in future updates/versions.
whifflebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 02:38 PM   #7
Lemandria
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Hopefully they make the rewards commensurate with the effort to compete in higher levels in future updates/versions.
That'd help.

Now to figure out how to stop WinP padding.
Old 12-01-2019, 02:44 PM   #8
emilempenza
Minors (Double A)

Tbh, it can't be that hard to check on every team that has ever been as high as say, diamond league (or even gold tbh), yet has somehow ended up back down in bronze or iron, as that is almost impossible to do by accident. The vast, vast majority of teams who fit that criteria will have tanked to do it
emilempenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 02:52 PM   #9
daves
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post
its not a "scam", the game is encouraging you to stay at lower levels because that is where you make more points

This was pointed out as a bad design from like the first week of release last year. Obviously people are going to try to make points so you design around that by aligning incentives. Instead its ass backwards.
It's a point scam then. They are staying in lower levels to earn points.

Old 12-01-2019, 02:54 PM   #10
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Quote:
If a game physically allows players to do something, it must be assumed that players will do it, even when it is not always in their best interests. The problem here is that it IS in their best interests, at least in regards to earning more points.

We don't need to get too hung up on the semantics.

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team

Last edited by Dogberry99; 12-01-2019 at 02:59 PM.
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 02:58 PM   #11
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That isn't a scam because there is no deception. It's what the game encourages you to do.

There are many ways to fix it but apparently the endless threads about tanking are the path that's been chosen.

Last edited by dkgo; 12-01-2019 at 02:59 PM.
Old 12-01-2019, 03:16 PM   #12
atabakin
All Star Reserve

Quote:
The perfect level is too populated with mediocre teams.
Old 12-01-2019, 06:11 PM   #13
daves
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by atabakin View Post
The perfect level is too populated with mediocre teams.

So reduce promotions and relegations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 12-01-2019, 07:50 PM   #14
HRBaker
Hall Of Famer

The ONLY solution is to code the limits into the game. Once you reach each level, your not allowed to use lesser players unless you sell the players that got you there - problem solved.

HRBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 08:20 PM   #15
Sipimi
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBaker View Post
The ONLY solution is to code the limits into the game. Once you reach each level, your not allowed to use lesser players unless you sell the players that got you there - problem solved.
It's a good point, but in that case the teams stay in iron forever, winning during the season with Perfect/Diamond players then using the worst guys in the playoffs to lose and stay in iron.
Sipimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 10:26 PM   #16
HRBaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sipimi View Post
It's a good point, but in that case the teams stay in iron forever, winning during the season with Perfect/Diamond players then using the worst guys in the playoffs to lose and stay in iron.

My point is a team must use (as an example) the best 35 players it has to populate its Active roster. If it buys a better player, the better player must replace the weakest card in the 35-List. This "rule" must be followed all season long INCLUDING playoffs. In this way, the only way you can relegate your team to a lower level is to sell off your player(s) on this 35-List.

For example, Let's say I have 12 Perfects and 13 Diamonds on my Active roster. The best players in Reserve are 5 Diamonds and 5 Golds. These players make up my "35-List" and are the only players I can use on the Active Roster. I pull or buy another 100 player. He automatically gets added to the 35-List and the weakest Gold card is dropped from the 35-List.

In this scenario, the ONLY way you could force yourself to be relegated is to sell from your 35-List.

Old 12-01-2019, 10:44 PM   #17
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Quote:
My point is a team must use (as an example) the best 35 players it has to populate its Active roster. If it buys a better player, the better player must replace the weakest card in the 35-List. This "rule" must be followed all season long INCLUDING playoffs. In this way, the only way you can relegate your team to a lower level is to sell off your player(s) on this 35-List.

For example, Let's say I have 12 Perfects and 13 Diamonds on my Active roster. The best players in Reserve are 5 Diamonds and 5 Golds. These players make up my "35-List" and are the only players I can use on the Active Roster. I pull or buy another 100 player. He automatically gets added to the 35-List and the weakest Gold card is dropped from the 35-List.

In this scenario, the ONLY way you could force yourself to be relegated is to sell from your 35-List.
Your idea has some amount of merit and could be workable in some form. However, as presently constructed, it eliminates the possibility of maintaining a theme team while being a collector. Even opening a pack earned from a tournament or challenge mode could put your theme in danger.

Additionally, a player's OVR is not necessarily indicative of their true worth or the value they add to the team.

We need restrictions to prevent tanking, but we need to keep game play open enough to allow owners to compete on their own terms with teams of their own choosing.

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 10:45 PM   #18
brrrdt1
Minors (Single A)

Quote:

The problem with this is that not all 100 rated players are equal and not all <100 rated players are actually worse than those with a 100 ranking. I have enough 100s to field a 25 man roster, but those are definitely NOT my 25 best cards. And frankly, this is true at every level of cards. It simply isn't the case that all 81-rated cards are worse than all 82-rated cards. The ratings are too mushy for this to be a viable solution, unfortunately.

brrrdt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 10:50 PM   #19
HRBaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrrdt1 View Post
The problem with this is that not all 100 rated players are equal and not all <100 rated players are actually worse than those with a 100 ranking. I have enough 100s to field a 25 man roster, but those are definitely NOT my 25 best cards. And frankly, this is true at every level of cards. It simply isn't the case that all 81-rated cards are worse than all 82-rated cards. The ratings are too mushy for this to be a viable solution, unfortunately.

A correct statement, but not enough to ignore a solution. Tanking is cheating - Period, and the players should NOT have to be the police force. As the game stands now, it rewards cheaters at the cost of everyone else.

My example is only that. I know using OVR isn't accurate enough to base a rule on, but the OOTP guys know how to do it, and should.

Old 12-01-2019, 10:56 PM   #20
bailey
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
My point is a team must use (as an example) the best 35 players it has to populate its Active roster. If it buys a better player, the better player must replace the weakest card in the 35-List.

That would really kill my plans for the next game, which is to play the regular leagues with my original starter packs players, while I accumulate perfect level players (which I will use in tournaments), until I have the 25 players I want. Then I bring them all on, all at once, and proceed up the ranks from there. Now you may ask why I want to do it this way. It's because I dislike split season stats on my players, in case the card I buy was already used, similar to the way some folks only want "mint" cards. I don't care if it is mint, but don't really want cards with split season stats nor if they have stupid, or oddball abbreviations, like R10T. This plan does not sandbag in iron because I am not using the better players and then withdrawing them to punt the post-season, so hurts no one, but would be illegal under your proposal.

bailey is offline   Reply With Quote