Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 6 > FHM 6 - Dynasty Reports

FHM 6 - Dynasty Reports Talk about your FHM 6 dynasties here!

Old 04-06-2020, 01:26 AM   #1
Habitant4Life
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Will Bryan Fogarty Live Up to His Potential?

I like to check in here from time to time in-between playing the game and I genuinely enjoy reading the level of detail you guys put into your player/dynasty logs (JT Dutch's series comes to mind) It inspired me to start one of my own, but with a different take to it.

Bryan Charles Fogarty, born June 11th, 1969, was a hockey player destined for stardom. As Brantford minor hockey coordinator Bob Coyne put it "From the time he put skates on, he was better than everyone else. We had seen Wayne Gretzky. Wayne had to work at it. His game was outsmarting everybody else. Fogarty's game was outperforming everybody else. That's like comparing a Volkswagen to a Corvette."

Fogarty garnered high praise as he was chosen first overall in the 1985 OHL draft by the now-defunct Kingston Canadians, ahead of future NHL players such as Adam Graves and Brendan Shanahan. Scouts praised Fogarty as having an NHL-ready body at 6'2" 205 pounds. They also marveled at his excellent hockey instincts, natural skating ability, and effortless puck control. The Quebec-born phenom would break Bobby Orr's 23-year-old Junior record for most goals in a season by a defenceman (38) by coming close to the 50 goal mark with 47 goals. After that, Fogarty would also break Cam Plante's Junior record for most points by a defenceman in a season (140) with 155 points.

Everything seemed well for the highly-touted defenceman. Everything, except for the fact that Bryan, had a crippling addiction to alcohol. It was no secret among his teammates that he liked to drink. As a 15 year old, Bryan was so exceptionally skilled, he was already playing with players who were much older than him, which led to him following the antics of his older peers in visiting after-hours establishments. He was given the nickname "Tippy" because, according to his Kingston teammate Marc Laforge, "he was always tipsy"

Nonetheless, even with his alcohol problems being well-known among NHL scouts, Bryan Fogarty was chosen 9th overall in the 1987 NHL draft by the Quebec Nordiques. There was a lot of excitement in the Nordiques front office, as then-general manager Maurice Filion put it, "He had everything. He could skate like the wind. He could see anybody on the ice. He could make the perfect pass. He was as talented as anybody I've seen in junior hockey. He broke all of Bobby Orr's records. Everybody was telling me you can't go wrong with him."

Bryan would occasionally show flashes of brilliance with the Nordiques, holding the distinction of being the only Nordique defenceman in history to record a natural hat trick. Unfortunately, Bryan's demons would never allow him to play a full season in the NHL. In-between rehab stints and getting traded, Fogarty spent the majority of his playing career bouncing around several minor leagues, attempting comebacks whenever the opportunity arose. That comeback never came, and Bryan retired in 2001. Sadly, the retired hockey pro did not get to enjoy his retirement as on March 6, 2002, Bryan Fogarty tragically passed away due to an enlarged heart.

The career simulation will go like this, I will oversee the league with commissioner mode turned on. I have bumped up Fogarty's potential from two and a half stars to five stars. I have not touched any other attributes, including hidden attributes that may or may not hinder his growth. The reason being is that I did not want this to be a guaranteed sure-thing for Bryan. He will still be susceptible to controversy and being un-coachable, but with his potential being so high, the hope is that coaches will look past his problems and give him the time he needs to develop.I simply wanted to max out his potential and let the game dictate what his career trajectory would be, as I didn't think it would be interesting if I beefed up Fogarty's attributes.

I hope all of you decide to join me on this journey. The question remains, will Bryan Fogarty live up to his superstar potential? Or will history repeat itself? We'll find out in the next part of "The Fogarty Files"

Last edited by Habitant4Life; 04-06-2020 at 01:44 AM.
Habitant4Life is offline   Reply With Quote