Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 11-25-2019, 11:53 PM   #901
Argonaut
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilempenza View Post
Wow, pretty handy. I'm sure it's probably been mentioned before, but why is there such a bias towards deadball players? Why are they rated so much higher than recent flashbacks and even the greats of the 60/70's? I look at Wheat's BR page and honestly it's hard to imagine how he ends up looking like that?

Is it intentional? Do they favour different generations each year to keep it interesting?
I think it's "power creep". Something that always happens with card games to keep people playing and buying the new stuff. Likely most of the household name legends were represented in PT from the start. So now they have to dig around and find some old players, bang on a trashcan a bit to fudge the ratings, and boom -- Zack Wheat is one of the best ever hitters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waittilnextyear View Post
A good sentiment and you are both a gentleman and a scholar. But, likely some speculator will snatch them and middle man the heck of of it.
I don't check PT much anymore so it's no loss to me. Whoever gets em gets em.
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 08:20 AM   #902
atabakin
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonaut View Post
I think it's "power creep". Something that always happens with card games to keep people playing and buying the new stuff. Likely most of the household name legends were represented in PT from the start. So now they have to dig around and find some old players, bang on a trashcan a bit to fudge the ratings, and boom -- Zack Wheat is one of the best ever hitters.
Do you mean that Wheat and Cash aren't two of the three best contact hitters vs RHP in the history of baseball???
Old 11-26-2019, 09:30 AM   #903
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by atabakin View Post
Do you mean that Wheat and Cash aren't two of the three best contact hitters vs RHP in the history of baseball???

not just contact, but all around (gap/power)....

yeah, I get that the peak cards are a frankenstein monster of best seasons, but think it should be rooted a bit more in reality...

Zack Wheat's best year ever from a home run standpoint was 1922 when he hit a whopping 16... and he gets a 91 power rating....

in 1922, Rogers Hornsby also had his best year ever with homers, when he hit 42... and his peak card has a power rating of 88

Wheat's best single season average was 1923 and 1924 when he hit .375 each one... he has a contact rating of 109...

in 1923 and 1924, Rogers Hornsby hit .384 and .424(!) and his peak card has a contact of 90

can we wrap up v20 with a peak Eddie Gaedel card with 128 ratings across the board, just for a little fun?
stl jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 01:11 PM   #904
waittilnextyear
All Star Starter

One thing I'd like to see for PT 3.0, and this is likely a necessity anyway to keep the mode fresh, is a re-work of the ratings system. We shouldn't have players who are inner circle HoF guys getting out-pointed by lesser players. I don't care so much about things being ultra-historical (this mode is a fantasy mode after all), but maybe re-scaling things so the best players always grade out to be the best players. When I used to make rosters for MLB The Show, I always did sanity checks like these so that Zack Wheat isn't >> Rogers Hornsby or whatever.

I'm betting that a ratings "refresh" would have to be on the agenda anyway because collecting all of the same cards with the same ratings would not be all that appealing. The lifeblood of this mode is OOTP'ers seeing something shiny and new and saying "oooooh gotta have that!"

waittilnextyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 01:20 PM   #905
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

There are still a lot of Hall of Famers not currently represented in game.

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 09:12 AM   #906
sharknut
All Star Reserve

I got very lucky and my pack only Clippers pulled the Perfect Jackie Robinson yesterday. Since they added the Dodger missions, this enabled me to clean out his mission and also got the Diamond Carl Furillo. Anyone have the Furillo yet? 91 contact and 83 power, I plugged him right into my lineup today.

sharknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 01:22 PM   #907
waittilnextyear
All Star Starter

Had 8/14 of the Yankees missions done with pre-collecting. I've spent a smidge under 200K PP to complete the others (most for a single card was 38.5K PP for 91 Rizzuto). Certainly having a 100 Gehrig already has helped this endeavor. Haven't sold any of the SE cards and I'm not sure if I want to.

That 100 Red Ruffing, tho. Also really liking the 97 Willie Randolph against LHP.

I am 4/10 so far on the Dodgers, but 99 Gilliam and 94 Lo Duca are getting some run on the team. I am enjoying the 99 Gilliam/100 Ozzie tandem up the middle. Both switch hitters and 227 points of combined defense.

Also completed the Brewers set. 95 Prince Fielder is my new primary DH (I'm thinking this card is gonna get rather popular rather quickly). 97 Ben Sheets is getting a look in the pen.

All in all, a very lucrative set of missions for the Frogs! Zack Wheat will have to wait though.

waittilnextyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 02:39 PM   #908
sharknut
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharknut View Post
I got very lucky and my pack only Clippers pulled the Perfect Jackie Robinson yesterday. Since they added the Dodger missions, this enabled me to clean out his mission and also got the Diamond Carl Furillo. Anyone have the Furillo yet? 91 contact and 83 power, I plugged him right into my lineup today.
In his first week, Furillo was player of the week hitting .450 with 3 HR and 9 RBI's.

He's going to be an expensive one.

sharknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 11:38 PM   #909
daves
Hall Of Famer

Can the same card be used for different collections or is a duplicate card necessary?

daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 11:56 PM   #910
Catchthedamnball
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves View Post
Can the same card be used for different collections or is a duplicate card necessary?
The same card can indeed be used for multiple missions.

Catchthedamnball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 07:09 AM   #911
emilempenza
Minors (Double A)

Fiiiinally managed to find 72 overall Vosmik to complete the Indians. Crazy how long it sometimes takes for a random, useless silver or bronze to pop up when you need it! Got the incredibly rare diamonds pretty easily, but rando silver has been hiding for about a week! Very satisfying
emilempenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 03:29 PM   #912
Argonaut
All Star Starter

Got a whole heck of a lot of cards on the market ending tonight or tomorrow night at minimum bid. Basically all of my unlocked cards not on the 25 man rosters across all my 3 accounts.

As is the nature of collecting, most of these will be Bronze cards (at least for historical), though there are some Silvers and Golds mixed in. Some highlights that should never be listed for minimum bid are Silver Ozzie Smith, and Bronze Gwynn/Lavalliere.

Could be some interesting cards for missions or tournaments. Take a look!
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 04:39 PM   #913
dbqs
Major Leagues

Need 6 more cards to complete A's collection, 3 for Milwaukee, and 2 for SD. Whee...
Old 12-01-2019, 08:42 PM   #914
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Because I didn't think about how nobody is reading the forum signature test thread (and rightfully so)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogberry99 View Post
I have grown to love the signatures. However, they fail to capture the aspects of the game that matter most to me - card collecting. What are the chances that we could eventually get additional information, such as collection missions completed, percentages of unique cards collected (either total or broken down by category), or even information pertaining to tournament success?

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 10:59 AM   #915
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Finished the cardinals. Finally just decided to pay the 100K for 97 gibson since him and Hrab had risen up to 90ish last 7 so there wasn't going to be the chance at a 30K steal any more.

Need Freehan and then Trout/Newhouser for the Tigers. The second I can get at any time but Freehan simply doesnt exist anymore. Disappointing.

Need 96 or 100 Gehrig for the Yanks like most people.

Dodgers have about 7 diamonds left but most are pretty available except for Seager or Jansen. Lucky to have already bought Greinke and Kershaw since that is an epic bottleneck. Also got lucky to find a cheap 96 Snider a few days ago.
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 01:02 PM   #916
camonroe
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post

Need 96 or 100 Gehrig for the Yanks like most people.

I put a 100 Gehrig for sale today with a 200k bin, and it was gone in less than 20 minutes. Maybe I should have asked for more
Old 12-02-2019, 02:42 PM   #917
CrazyWR
All Star Reserve

Also looking for those 2 Gehrigs, I saw 96 Gehrig up for like 120k around Thxgiving but passed b/c I figured only perfect Gehrig was worth that...not a single one since that I've been on the AH for.
CrazyWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 03:16 PM   #918
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Best of luck to whoever bought my fresh Ozzie!
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 07:19 PM   #919
Morgans Magic
Minors (Single A)

So, I am going to start doing collections to try to improve my team, I have about 15K in PP. What are some collections I should be looking at, that I can afford to get into and get really useful players?

Obviously pitchers are preferable as my teams are getting cut to ribbons in Perfect and my top pitchers are lives or something like Gregg or Reuschel. That said, I really have pretty much zero non-live diamond batters. Suggestions?
Morgans Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 08:03 PM   #920
mrbucket
All Star Reserve

The Live Detroit Tigers mission is pretty easy (all players silver or below) and gets you Harry Heilmann who's a pretty handy DH.

The Live Oakland Athletics mission gets you Eddie Plank, a Diamond rated starter. He's been coming out of my bullpen for me but over 5 and a bit seasons at perfect level, he got a 3.91 ERA, 110 ERA+, 1.34 WHIP, 3.30 FIP, 82 FIP-, 0.3 HR/9, 3.7 BB/9, 7.4 K/9.

Though, you need to get 2 diamonds, 4 golds, 6 silvers, and 31 bronze/iron players to get him. I see Chapman going for 4700 PP, Semien for 6000 PP, Hendricks for 1690 PP, Canha for 1167 PP, Luzardo for 1350 PP, and Olson for 1899 PP on the auction house right now or 16806 PP in total just to get the Diamond/Gold guys. Still another 37 guys to get. Alternatively, you can just buy Plank for 16000 PP right now so unless you have use for the likes of Chapman/Semien, then collections may not be the best option.