Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-28-2016, 12:52 AM   #1
pvtitan21
Minors (Single A)

Drafting with new complete minors

With the new, complete minor league set-up in ootp17, does that mean players will now become available in the draft the first season they were drafted in real life rather than the year they made their MLB debut?
And doesn't this make it even easier to draft guys who may not have been rated very high the first year they were drafted IRL, like Mike Piazza, but who you know go on to have great careers?
pvtitan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:19 AM   #2
Painmantle
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvtitan21 View Post
With the new, complete minor league set-up in ootp17, does that mean players will now become available in the draft the first season they were drafted in real life rather than the year they made their MLB debut?

And doesn't this make it even easier to draft guys who may not have been rated very high the first year they were drafted IRL, like Mike Piazza, but who you know go on to have great careers?
Question 1=Yes
Question 2= players starting earlier is a double edge sword for the most part, they have more years to develop and that could be good, but it could be bad too, and the settings you use can have a major influence on your "hindsight is always 20/20" issue
“As soon as I got out there I felt a strange relationship with the pitcher's mound. It was as if I'd been born out there. Pitching just felt like the most natural thing in the world. Striking out batters was easy.” -Babe Ruth
“Ruth made a grave mistake when he gave up pitching. Working once a week, he might have lasted a long time and become a great star.”-Tris Speaker
My Dynasties
The Beantown Bambino
Painmantle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:32 AM   #3
pvtitan21
Minors (Single A)

What settings should I look into changing so that players who are stars in real life don't always turn out to be stars in the OOTP universe?
Someone suggested I just go fictional, but I enjoy using real players and I really enjoy drafting, but I can't help feeling I have this huge advantage over the AI.
Old 03-28-2016, 01:38 AM   #4
brewdog
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
What settings should I look into changing so that players who are stars in real life don't always turn out to be stars in the OOTP universe?
Someone suggested I just go fictional, but I enjoy using real players and I really enjoy drafting, but I can't help feeling I have this huge advantage over the AI.
Not sure which settings Painmantle was referring to, however, a major setting you may want to look into is "Talent Change Randomness" This defaults at 100 and can be adjusted from 1-200 depending on your tastes.
Old 03-28-2016, 01:41 AM   #5
pvtitan21
Minors (Single A)

Thanks Brewdog,
Can this setting be changed once a league has started up?
And if so, where do I find it?
Old 03-28-2016, 02:15 AM   #6
brewdog
Minors (Triple A)

Yes. It can be changed anytime find it here: Game Menu >> Advanced section >> Setup and Options >> Player and Facegen Options tab on the left side under aging and development
Old 03-28-2016, 02:52 AM   #7
Silent_Thunder
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
If you're running default settings (+ your preferred ai eval weights), turn scouting back on, and use the OOTP development engine with potentials based on peak years, that should be enough.

Frankly with historical minors the "stars" are coming in much younger (some as young as 17), which means many could just bust far easier than they could in previous years, when they came in at their MLB debut year. Chances are you'd be handicapping yourself by sticking to the "real" stars as a hiring strategy.
Silent_Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote