Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Rosters, Photos, and Quick-Starts

Old 03-26-2010, 12:04 AM   #1
blueturf
All Star Reserve

Fictional Quickstart - Fictional World

**Now Updated for OOTP13** The version for OOTP13 is available for download with information in this post******

I had always wanted to see more community generated quickstart leagues. I think it is great to see the creativity of other OOTP users and I think more quickstarts would help more new users get deeper into the game.

With OOTP11 on the horizon, I figured I would put out the OOTPX version of a fictional world I created many years ago. The league has started over a couple of times as new features were added to OOTP. OOTP11 will bring version 3 of the league.

The quickstart is set in a fictional country of Kalama. In the most recent iteration of the world, Kalama is self contained, in an Earth-like setting, but there are no foreign countries or imported players. The custom file has population data for over 250 fictional cities.

There are three leagues that interact within the quickstart.

Major League [Kalama Premier League]
16 teams, 2 league of 8 with champion of each meeting in championship series
Active Roster of 25 & Reserve Roster of 35
Annual Amateur Draft from High School Feeder League
Full Logos and Uniforms

Independent League [Kalama Independent Association]

12 teams, 2 leagues of 6 (Top 4 from each enter custom playoffs)
25 on Active Roster & Reserve Roster of 15
No Amateur Draft - Entire roster is filled through free agent signings (usually fringe players not able to make it in the major league)
Full Logos and Uniforms

High School League

48 High Schools (8 divisions of 6 each)
Custom Playoff structure
Default game generated logos and uniforms

I never quite finished all the small details that I wanted with the league in version 10. I would love to have comments/critiques from others that play the league - especially any suggestions on league totals and financial relationship between the Premier and Independent League. I don't want to see potential stars of the Premier league take small paychecks to play in the Indy. Any other observations are also welcome.

All of the associated graphics can be seen in my photobucket account.

Last edited by blueturf; 08-05-2012 at 02:35 AM.
blueturf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:35 AM   #2
reds1869
Minors (Triple A)

Thank you, I love seeing creative quickstarts!
reds1869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 02:07 PM   #3
jtb
All Star Reserve

Thumbs up

This is excellent! Awesome uniforms & logos. I really like to see great contributions like this.
jtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:30 AM   #4
blueturf
All Star Reserve

One word of caution to those that have downloaded this. There may be an issue (bug?) with having the supplemental draft turned on for the KPL. I have found there are a large number of supplemental picks awarded in the amateur draft.
I think this is due to fringe players being released from the league and then signing as a free agent in the independent league. Since they are "A" level free agents for that league, a supplemental pick is awarded in the major league. I would recommend turning off supplemental draft picks.

I am going to send the file to PadresFan to post on his site. That version will have supplemental picks disabled.

I would love to hear others' thoughts on what changes could make this universe better.

Here are the uniforms of the Kalama Independent Association:
Old 04-17-2010, 03:07 PM   #5
blueturf
All Star Reserve

v11

I have converted the league to OOTP11 and created a new quickstart. It is available here. Thanks to PadresFan for hosting it on his site.

The league is at the date of the inaugural draft of the major league. Dynamically Evolving leagues has not been activated but may be done from the league menus prior to starting.

Last edited by blueturf; 04-19-2010 at 09:40 PM.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:10 PM   #6
PadresFan
All Star Starter

Posted to my site.
PadresFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 02:07 PM   #7
Jabs
Minors (Double A)

Thanks for the upload. The league looks very interesting.

Quick question though. When I try to load this quickstart, I get an error stating the league cannot load because the file "world.dat" is missing. I looked in the OOTP11 folder, and it is most definitely there, so how can I get this to work? I've never tried to load a quickstart league before so I'm assuming I am doing something wrong on my end.
Jabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 02:54 PM   #8
blueturf
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabs View Post
Quick question though. When I try to load this quickstart, I get an error stating the league cannot load because the file "world.dat" is missing. I looked in the OOTP11 folder, and it is most definitely there, so how can I get this to work? I've never tried to load a quickstart league before so I'm assuming I am doing something wrong on my end.
Have you inflated the .zip file? The download needs to be decompressed and the kalama.quick folder should be placed in the quickstart_games folder. When you do extract the .zip file, you do not need to make a new folder during the extraction process - just extract directly to the quickstart_games folder. It is possible you have two kalama.quick folders (one sitting inside the other.)
Old 05-01-2010, 06:28 PM   #9
Jabs
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueturf View Post
It is possible you have two kalama.quick folders (one sitting inside the other.)
This was it. When I extracted, I ended up with two kalama.quick folders. Awesome help!! Thanks for the quick response.
Jabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 06:37 PM   #10
Antonin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtb View Post
This is excellent! Awesome uniforms & logos. I really like to see great contributions like this.
I second this! Great uniforms really help to bring a fictional universe to life and make you want to spend a lot of time playing it. Maybe I will download this tonight.
Cultural icons, gone but not forgotten: David Bowie, Lou Reed, William S. Burroughs, Tristan Tzara, Jack Kerouac, Allen Ginsburg, Jimi Hendrix, John Cage, Johnny Thunders (New York Dolls), Mike Hudson (The Pagans), Joey Ramone (Ramones), Stiv Bators (Dead Boys), Tomata Du Plenty (The Screamers), Joe Strummer (The Clash), Lester Bangs
Antonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 07:13 PM   #11
spleen1015
Hall Of Famer

Just downloaded and I'll give this a look.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:07 AM   #12
spleen1015
Hall Of Famer

Boulder Crest won the Eastern Division 13 of my first 20 years, 10 of those being in the first 12. They have won 5 championships.

The Muscovy Marauders having a winning percentage of .446 during the same time. They have never made the playoffs. I am going to take them over and see if I can turn them into a winner.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:52 PM   #13
blueturf
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Boulder Crest won the Eastern Division 13 of my first 20 years, 10 of those being in the first 12. They have won 5 championships.
That was what I was hoping to see when I originally set up the league. Boulder Crest is in a huge market and I was hoping they would spend like the Yankees/Red Sox and create a dynasty that would compete for the pennant every year.

In my run of the league they are yet to win their division, while Roxford has dominated, appearing in the Governor's Cup 6 of 8 times.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:03 PM   #14
spleen1015
Hall Of Famer

I have decided to give this quick start a lot of play time. Since 11 has come out, I have done more facegen creating than I have actually played the game. It is time to play the game and I am getting sick of making jerseys.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:15 AM   #15
risp2out
All Star Reserve

Blueturf,

I downloaded and played through the pre-season and went to play out my first game, but found that there was no ballpark image. Are these somewhere in the QS? Do I need to just load the default image to all? The fact that each park shows a link to an image leads me to believe that, at least at one time, there were park images associated witht he file.

Thanks.
risp2out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 02:31 PM   #16
blueturf
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by risp2out View Post
Blueturf,

I downloaded and played through the pre-season and went to play out my first game, but found that there was no ballpark image. Are these somewhere in the QS? Do I need to just load the default image to all? The fact that each park shows a link to an image leads me to believe that, at least at one time, there were park images associated witht he file.

Thanks.
Unfortunately the "ballparks" folder is not included when a quickstart game is exported.

Nearly all of the ballparks in this quickstart are from creations I have done over time. Most of them should be available on PadreFans website - I think I may have finished one or two after that file was uploaded at his site. All of them can be viewed/downloaded at my PhotoBucket page.

I think the file names are the same as they are in the game and should show up when you add the images to you ballpark folder - you will have to ensure the Photobucket files are saved as a .jpg.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:55 PM   #17
reds1869
Minors (Triple A)

Oh yeaaahhhh...Kalama for OOTP 11! Still my favorite quickstart of all-time. Thanks for the new file, it is much appreciated.
reds1869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:17 AM   #18
risp2out
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueturf View Post
Unfortunately the "ballparks" folder is not included when a quickstart game is exported.

Nearly all of the ballparks in this quickstart are from creations I have done over time. Most of them should be available on PadreFans website - I think I may have finished one or two after that file was uploaded at his site. All of them can be viewed/downloaded at my PhotoBucket page.

I think the file names are the same as they are in the game and should show up when you add the images to you ballpark folder - you will have to ensure the Photobucket files are saved as a .jpg.
Ah. Very nice. I've downloaded the parks. Some of the ones in the quick start appear not to have a match in the PadresFan set, fyi. I'll play around with the ball flights and player positions. Nothing says immersion to me quite like playing games at different parks.

It's a very neat quickstart. You clearly put a lot of time and thought into creating something coherent and complete. Thanks for sharing.
risp2out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:40 AM   #19
blueturf
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by risp2out View Post
Some of the ones in the quick start appear not to have a match in the PadresFan set, fyi.
Any of the parks posted after post #52 of this thread were created after the upload to PadresFan's site. You can save them from the thread or on my PhotoBucket page. I think the file names match up with the in-game images for most parks.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:54 PM   #20
Athletics17
All Star Starter

Awesome quickstart!! I enjoy the universe you have created here. thanks for all the hard work!!

Athletics17 is offline   Reply With Quote