Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 01-16-2020, 04:13 PM   #41
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
What accusation? What do you think you're being accused of?
You accused me of claiming that I thought it was some kind of advantage.

Quote:
In any case I thought your original point was it gave you an advantage as you shouldn't be allowed to change your strategy if it is indeed "one pitch" mode? Now it's just a nuisance as you watch? Which is it?
That was your accusation and yet you still haven't clarified what this "advantage" is.

You also implied that I wasn't clear about my motivations in this thread even though my very second post clarified any confusion caused by my OP. And since then I have been consistent. Anyone that has read my posts over the years knows I'm a simmer and don't play games out. So your accusations seem to be just trying to start up drama for the sake of drama. I'm not really into blocking people but if you are going to continue this harrassment campaign against me just so you can "get your rocks off" well then maybe I'll need to make use of the function.

Last edited by Dyzalot; 01-16-2020 at 04:16 PM.
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 08:28 PM   #42
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

This thread needed to be closed about three days ago.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 10:04 PM   #43
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyzalot View Post
You accused me of claiming that I thought it was some kind of advantage.

That was your accusation and yet you still haven't clarified what this "advantage" is.

You also implied that I wasn't clear about my motivations in this thread even though my very second post clarified any confusion caused by my OP. And since then I have been consistent. Anyone that has read my posts over the years knows I'm a simmer and don't play games out. So your accusations seem to be just trying to start up drama for the sake of drama. I'm not really into blocking people but if you are going to continue this harrassment campaign against me just so you can "get your rocks off" well then maybe I'll need to make use of the function.

I did think your original issue, at least in part, was that it let you change strategy, as in my post where I said "I thought". If it was an accusation it would have been "your original point was..." In any case I'm not going to argue the semantics of this sentence anymore. I missed your second post and until the post where you said something about returning to your perspective did I read that you only watched games. Then I was confused and asked "which is it?" I've interacted with many players here over the years and couldn't tell you who plays 'em out or who sims, no different with you. Hell, Eugene's been here forever, I've read many of his posts, and I couldn't tell you how he plays. You can believe it or not, up to you. Block or not, again up to you.

As to the advantage, you asked...

Possible advantages in my mind....
change IF or OF to shift left or right, play deep, pitch around, intentional walk, any strategy you can think of. All dependent on you getting a second chance and a second look at the batter's tendencies.

There was a player in my game that was always near the top in HR but had a very bad eye. In the long foul ball situation I might have tried to get him out with normal pitching to have him destroy a ball but just foul. On my second chance I could go with "pitch around' and he k's chasing a bad pitch. Too me there is nothing wrong with this change, happens in real life, should be able to do it in OOTP IMHO. My thought, from your posts, was you would look at this as unfair to the AI, IE advantage to the human, and a reason you didn't want "second chances" in one pitch. If that was a wrong impression than, I'm wrong but it is the point I thought you were originally making.

I also thought you would argue dropped foul balls shouldn't be in the game as they are now modeled, not only as it "wastes time" IYHO but also gives a second chance at setting strategy. At least you mentioned it was debatable that one should get another pitch to make decisions on in "one pitch" mode. That is my clarification, that you asked for, on what the advantages might be.

I hope that answers your question.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 03:09 AM   #44
Izz
Hall Of Famer

It might already have been mentioned (I've kinda skimmed most of this thread) but before the days of 3D, the foul-ball interruption to one-pitch mode was for hard hit balls down the line that had a chance of staying fair and long - the PBP always kept you in suspense until the bitter end.

A brief history of the Australia-New Zealand Baseball League (AUNZBL 2019-2119)--A Dynasty Report
The National Penterham Four-Bases Association--A Dynasty Report

Last edited by Izz; 01-17-2020 at 03:10 AM.
Izz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 02:25 PM   #45
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

there's very little you can impact once a PA has begun.

throwing to first doesn't change out any of the random seeds, so it in effect does very little if not nothing. if the verbage used tips off intent of the AI in some correlated way, then it can be useful to change defenses accordingly. otherwise, it still does nothing, because the AI is still equally likely to do all the things they were likely to do before the pitch out, but relative to a change in count since then.

the defenses have an effect, but not sure if it is large enough to notice with your eye.

the bulk of the game is built at a PA-incremental resolution (that's teh step it takes each time it calculates probabilities of results). some things have since been added that may or may not work in shorter increments within the PA... from what i understand defenses can be mathematically proven to have an effect and somethign you can toggle mid-PA.

but, if you had rolled a clunker seed to start that PA, it really doesn't matter what defense you pick or anything else (clunker - relative to pitching or batting, 2 sides of same coin). the negligible effect of your available choices won't impact many outcomes on their own.

seldomnly, you'll be within that thin threshold where a slight bump or decrease that an available mid-PA toggle might cause will impact the result. while things will come out in correct proportions doing it like this, it's not quite a model/simulation.

they are dials hammered and duct taped into place to give some sense of control where very little exists..

you shouldn't stop using it... but, you shouldn't feel you are missing out if you are not, either. it's really no big deal either way. maybe, if you pick correcrtly often engouh, it'll give you a few more percent likely to succeed? maybe it just gives peace of mind for those that want a more hands on approach?

if you understand the abuse of the game, you can understand how it works through deduction along with normal play and observation. the game throws a baseball error every x% of the time regardless of your PA seed, for example, it is the only saviour for a supremely bad RNG roll -- that's likely impacted by fielding ratings of where the ball went, of course, not some flat % to all teams. but, very little, because 1/60 and 1/40 is difficult to see the difference, which is the type of differences between an okay fielder and a horrid one or so. As far as how fielding is applied, i doubt it even gets that detailed, based on how other things work, but may also be the simplest route to easily allotting who gets teh error, as opposed to forcing where the ball goes in some propotional way whne the error is triggered.

Last edited by NoOne; 01-17-2020 at 02:32 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 03:41 PM   #46
old fat bald guy
Minors (Triple A)

I would go slightly in the opposite direction. I would like to see one-pitch stop if I'm managing the batting team and the count goes to 3-0, so I don't see a guy I'd have taking all the way swing into a 6-4-3.
old fat bald guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 11:46 PM   #47
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post

As to the advantage, you asked...

Possible advantages in my mind....
change IF or OF to shift left or right, play deep, pitch around, intentional walk, any strategy you can think of. All dependent on you getting a second chance and a second look at the batter's tendencies.
None of those are advantages since they are equal for both sides.
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 10:57 AM   #48
leandrocamargo
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Well... For my point of view there isn't nothing wrong about how "1 pitch mode" works.
I think the idea is when you click it's going to happen one important play, the idea is to not show all the game(and for that exists 3 pitch mode).
So you'll see one important play no matter what it is. So you're not going to see just "one-pitch", you'll see one-important-play, and that's the point.
If you just don't want to see what's really happen in the game just use the options to sim the innings individually or sim all the game and then read the log.
The 3d view is for who wants to see the game happening, and not for who wants to finish it as fastest as possible.
But it's only my opinion, and I respect all the perspectives.

Good playing and simming to all!
leandrocamargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 12:48 PM   #49
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by leandrocamargo View Post
Well... For my point of view there isn't nothing wrong about how "1 pitch mode" works.
I think the idea is when you click it's going to happen one important play, the idea is to not show all the game(and for that exists 3 pitch mode).
So you'll see one important play no matter what it is. So you're not going to see just "one-pitch", you'll see one-important-play, and that's the point.
If you just don't want to see what's really happen in the game just use the options to sim the innings individually or sim all the game and then read the log.
The 3d view is for who wants to see the game happening, and not for who wants to finish it as fastest as possible.
But it's only my opinion, and I respect all the perspectives.

Good playing and simming to all!
I can agree that one-pitch doesn't have to be exactly literal. That any important play during a plate appearance can or should be shown. Like a stolen base or a out on the bases.

I don't think a foul ball counts as an important play

Nor a failed pickoff attempt.

An error on a foul ball is borderline
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote