Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 12-28-2019, 12:34 PM   #941
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Good teams draft late and good teams know how to develop QBs instead of throwing them out to get killed from day one.

Although that is also more of a fun trivia fact for this season than any type of trend (and shows why bad teams often stay bad, by taking players like trubisky when watson is sitting there). Many top 5 picked QBs have also made the playoffs and been great, and when you are comparing the first 5 picks to the last 250 obviously there are more success stories based on the larger sample.

Last edited by dkgo; 12-28-2019 at 12:37 PM.
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 01:20 AM   #942
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post
Good teams draft late and good teams know how to develop QBs instead of throwing them out to get killed from day one.

Although that is also more of a fun trivia fact for this season than any type of trend (and shows why bad teams often stay bad, by taking players like trubisky when watson is sitting there). Many top 5 picked QBs have also made the playoffs and been great, and when you are comparing the first 5 picks to the last 250 obviously there are more success stories based on the larger sample.
Many teams continue to pick QBs in the first round and they continue to be trash. I don't understand why teams keep picking QBs first round when they are shaky picks at best. Jets, Redskins, Bills, Cards.....on and on.
Ragnar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 01:58 PM   #943
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

over/under on teams doing a head coaching search at the end of the year.

4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 02:15 PM   #944
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
over/under on teams doing a head coaching search at the end of the year.

I'll go over, theres probably 3-4 certain ones imo and maybe the same who wouldn't be a surprise.
ukhotstove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 02:40 PM   #945
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

If every one score final in the NFL was reversed.............
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 12-29-2019, 05:25 PM   #946
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Name one coach who has done a better job than Brian Flores.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 12-29-2019, 06:29 PM   #947
pilight
All Star Starter

Considering most people had the Ravens as the third best team in their division, I'd say John Harbaugh is right there.
pilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 06:38 PM   #948
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Harbaugh and/or Shanahan are going to win it. But isn't the job of the HC to get the parts to play better than their sum? This team lost 43 to zip to NE week 2 in Miami. They lost their 1st 7 games. They were being called the worst team, not just this season, but EVER. They end the year going 5-4 and go into Foxboro and beat them when the Pats needed the game, and Miami had nothing to play for. Is that not leadership? Is that not what you want your HC to be able to do? To fight no matter what?
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 12-29-2019, 06:42 PM   #949
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Name one coach who has done a better job than Brian Flores.
If he has a good draft, he and the Dolphins could be a force to be reckoned with.
ukhotstove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 07:42 PM   #950
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Harbaugh and/or Shanahan are going to win it. But isn't the job of the HC to get the parts to play better than their sum? This team lost 43 to zip to NE week 2 in Miami. They lost their 1st 7 games. They were being called the worst team, not just this season, but EVER. They end the year going 5-4 and go into Foxboro and beat them when the Pats needed the game, and Miami had nothing to play for. Is that not leadership? Is that not what you want your HC to be able to do? To fight no matter what?
Fans having strong opinions about coaches and managers is somewhat ridiculous since fans have very little access to the vast majority of what coaches and managers actually do.

It's possible, but unlikely, that after an 0-7 start, the team said, "to hell with this guy" and ignored him as much as possible and improved on their own.

Venn Diagram: people who see a team they think shouldn't be ready to play who "come out ready to play" and credit the coach, and people who have said things like, "I can't believe an athlete getting paid millions of dollars needs a coach to get him ready to play".
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 10:48 PM   #951
ForeverRoyalKC
All Star Starter

Boy....not much rumbling from Dallas. Is it possible? Dare I say? Can it be?
Jason Garrett's job is....*gulp*......*hack*........SAFE?!

Maybe they still keep him, but Jerruh calls the shots on coordinators?
ForeverRoyalKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 11:02 PM   #952
ezpkns34
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoyalKC View Post
Boy....not much rumbling from Dallas. Is it possible? Dare I say? Can it be?
Jason Garrett's job is....*gulp*......*hack*........SAFE?!

Maybe they still keep him, but Jerruh calls the shots on coordinators?

His contract is over, nothing to announce
ezpkns34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 11:40 PM   #953
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

Quote:
I’m not going to pretend to know a ton about the Baltimore Ravens but didn’t the whole organization including the coach think that Jackson could not be a NFL qb? If that’s the case they sure lucked into this situation nicely. Btw good for Jackson on sticking to his guns. It was his career and he bet on himself.

https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/showthread.php?t=326812
Hrycaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 01:02 AM   #954
pilight
All Star Starter

Quote:
Dan Quinn might be COY on that basis
pilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 08:02 AM   #955
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilight View Post
Dan Quinn might be COY on that basis
His team had expectations to be better than they were playing. Nothing positive was expected from Miami. He not only endured a depleted roster before the year started, but one that traded some of their best players during the year. He somehow got the team to play better on the fly.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 12-30-2019, 08:05 AM   #956
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Browns say goodbye to Kitchens.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 12-30-2019, 09:11 AM   #957
ohiodevil
OOTP Roster Team

Quote:
Never should've hired him.....
ohiodevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 09:36 AM   #958
Boomcoach
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
Many teams continue to pick QBs in the first round and they continue to be trash. I don't understand why teams keep picking QBs first round when they are shaky picks at best. Jets, Redskins, Bills, Cards.....on and on.
Completely agree. If you team is awful, you are better off building from the line out. You get a decent line, on both sides of the ball, and everyone else you have gets better. Build your core, then go for a QB.

Special mention should go to the Lions who spent several years trying to build from the wide receiver position first. That makes tanking for a QB look like a genius move!

Let's Go Crew
Boomcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 09:50 AM   #959
damientheomen3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
The Jets have taken three first round QBs since 2000, and Darnold wasn't perceived as a shaky prospect (although he should have been, he just got the USC bump). Same with the Bills and Cardinals (who obviously look worse by taking two in consecutive years). Washington has picked four but also traded away two firsts to get RGIII. And then Cleveland has picked 4, couldn't think of any others.

Overall I'd say the only teams that feel egregious in retrospect, at least in the last 20 years, are Washington and Cleveland. For reference, Miami has taken one first round QB in the last 20 and it hasn't meant anything for them.
damientheomen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 09:56 AM   #960
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomcoach View Post
Completely agree. If you team is awful, you are better off building from the line out. You get a decent line, on both sides of the ball, and everyone else you have gets better. Build your core, then go for a QB.

Special mention should go to the Lions who spent several years trying to build from the wide receiver position first. That makes tanking for a QB look like a genius move!
Your comment about the Lions is spot on. I just want to add that when the Lions were doing stuff like that they were always receiving top grades for their drafts from “experts”. My larger point here is I think winning the media/social media perception game is a larger focus than it should be with a lot of organizations. Look at this year. If the Bengals do not take Joe Burrows with the top pick they are going to get slayed. Yet, like you pointed out they probably do not have the pieces around him to allow him to be successful. So the cycle continues.

https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/showthread.php?t=326812
Hrycaj is offline   Reply With Quote