Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - New to the Game?

OOTP 20 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 04-18-2019, 07:54 PM   #1
Crouton
Bat Boy

League settings and size discussion.

I just got OOTP 20 and I have some annual questions to find out other peoples opinions on different ways to set up their league.
I want to set up mostly a standard league where I manage my favorite MLB team. I was wondering if you thought it was worth it to enable extra leagues, and if so, how many and which ones?
Then this question leads me to even more questions. If you do enable extra leagues (like Nippon, etc.) what do you set your player settings to, things like.
  • Generate International amateur free agents
  • International scouting discoveries
  • Generate International established free agents
  • Generate Free agents from Independent leagues
  • How many minor league teams do you use for your ML team?
  • How many rounds do you set your MLB draft for?
  • Do you disable automatic creation of free agents and does this even do anything if you have the amateur draft enabled?
Personally I feel like, if I'm going to enable extra leagues like Nippon, Cuban, Australian, etc. then I should disable all the options in the player setting tab of the league settings (International free agents, ind. free agents, international established free agents) excluding maybe international scouting discoveries.
On top of that I fee like I should disable generation of automatic creation of free agents and reduce the number of draft rounds down from the default 30+ to something more manageable like 10, but I'm not sure if all the additional leagues will be enough to keep my leagues full of players, or have realistic proportions of nationalities.
Any of your insight would be greatly appreciated, otherwise I will probably be banging my head against my keyboard until I try every possible combination and eventually (finally) start my first league.
Crouton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 07:58 AM   #2
Reed
All Star Starter

If you are like me and many others, you will start a new league several times making adjustments/changes. Some may disagree but there is a lot to learn in the game so I would start out fairly simple (with maybe a test league). See what you like/dislike, and go from there. How many rounds for your draft depends on if you are playing major league only or partial or full minor leagues, etc..
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 10:39 AM   #3
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

enabling internatinal leagues would be redundant with international established FA that enter league, so turning that off makes sense.

IAFA and discoveries are amatuers and come from no league. you may want to leave those on, if you like them. that would not be redundant.

automatic creation of FA? international amatuers? not sure what you mean. this checkbox should only be visible if draft is disabled, i think? it shouldn't just be creating random MLB (or your ML's name) FA each year by default.

i slim down minor leagues. i make them uniform per organization so that i can apply some rules more easily without causing unintended bottle-necks for some teams or pooling in others etc.

# of rounds is about size of MiL -- not # of teams in ML, but how many each team has at any particular level per organization.

you'll want to consider the "largest' mil system any team has. e.g. if "4" rookies is the most anyone has, you better make sure it can stay filled from top to bottom each year.

if you have any rules applied to your rookie league, this becomes prety easy to calculate. e..g 4 rookie teams that allow ~2 years of playing... 35+30x = 35+30+30+30= 125 players in 2 years, or those rules will cause it to run out of players for sure. you'd need ~65-75 rounds for that setup. and, likely more, since not all players go to rookie leagues. this would be an unwise choice for rules given 4 rookie leagues, obviously.

however, ~10 rounds is very unlikely to cut it for a Rookie-to-AAA mil system. 1 team per level and no rules can probably slim down to ~15-20 rounds? more likely ~20-25 is lowest you could go without severe issues.

no rules, same 4 rookie teams max for any organization, you probably can do ~35-40rounds like the default mlb league, because some of those teams have 4 rookie leagues and they stay filled under default settings.

so, how many rounds depends on a few factors. just be reasonable, and don't cut it 'thin'. whatever you estimate the need to be per year to fill rookie leagues based on your custom choices, make sure ~10 draftees per year can move freely regardless of any rules, if they exist - i.e. the guys that don't go to rookie or develope quickly, you want them to be able to move without rules restricting them or empty teams pulling them back down below their ability just to fill out a team and no other reason.

Last edited by NoOne; 04-21-2019 at 10:40 AM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 04:24 PM   #4
cavebutter
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crouton View Post
Personally I feel like, if I'm going to enable extra leagues like Nippon, Cuban, Australian, etc. then I should disable all the options in the player setting tab of the league settings (International free agents, ind. free agents, international established free agents) excluding maybe international scouting discoveries.
On top of that I fee like I should disable generation of automatic creation of free agents and reduce the number of draft rounds down from the default 30+ to something more manageable like 10, but I'm not sure if all the additional leagues will be enough to keep my leagues full of players, or have realistic proportions of nationalities.
Any of your insight would be greatly appreciated, otherwise I will probably be banging my head against my keyboard until I try every possible combination and eventually (finally) start my first league.
Give it a few goes in different ways and you will find a configuration that works for you.

That said, from my experience and from received wisdom from these boards:

5-6 rounds per level of minors is just about right. You sometimes end up with a glut of free-agents, but IME that is better than having not enough players to fill up a league. When it, occasionally, gets too much, I create a small indy league with no draft to give those guys something to do.

I find that when I have a bunch of international leagues (I only play fictional, but the equivalent of Mexican, Nippon, KBO, etc), the level of talent coming from International free agents, ind. free agents, and international established free agents too far exceeds that of FA's coming to my league thru the actual leagues, so I've disabled them all.

To be honest, I even waffle on international scouting discoveries. They don't skew the talent level as much as the others, but I have trouble with the idea that an amateur in Mexico will sign with my international complex rather than just enter the Mexican League draft, you know?

Logo Gallery
cavebutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 10:51 PM   #5
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Ok...if I were to use the full service time rules, but cut back the number or rookie league teams each organization has (1 team per level in rookie and dsl) would 40 rounds with players for 45 rounds be enough?
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 12:07 PM   #6
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
enabling internatinal leagues would be redundant with international established FA that enter league, so turning that off makes sense.

IAFA and discoveries are amatuers and come from no league. you may want to leave those on, if you like them. that would not be redundant.

automatic creation of FA? international amatuers? not sure what you mean. this checkbox should only be visible if draft is disabled, i think? it shouldn't just be creating random MLB (or your ML's name) FA each year by default.

i slim down minor leagues. i make them uniform per organization so that i can apply some rules more easily without causing unintended bottle-necks for some teams or pooling in others etc.

# of rounds is about size of MiL -- not # of teams in ML, but how many each team has at any particular level per organization.

you'll want to consider the "largest' mil system any team has. e.g. if "4" rookies is the most anyone has, you better make sure it can stay filled from top to bottom each year.

if you have any rules applied to your rookie league, this becomes prety easy to calculate. e..g 4 rookie teams that allow ~2 years of playing... 35+30x = 35+30+30+30= 125 players in 2 years, or those rules will cause it to run out of players for sure. you'd need ~65-75 rounds for that setup. and, likely more, since not all players go to rookie leagues. this would be an unwise choice for rules given 4 rookie leagues, obviously.

however, ~10 rounds is very unlikely to cut it for a Rookie-to-AAA mil system. 1 team per level and no rules can probably slim down to ~15-20 rounds? more likely ~20-25 is lowest you could go without severe issues.

no rules, same 4 rookie teams max for any organization, you probably can do ~35-40rounds like the default mlb league, because some of those teams have 4 rookie leagues and they stay filled under default settings.

so, how many rounds depends on a few factors. just be reasonable, and don't cut it 'thin'. whatever you estimate the need to be per year to fill rookie leagues based on your custom choices, make sure ~10 draftees per year can move freely regardless of any rules, if they exist - i.e. the guys that don't go to rookie or develope quickly, you want them to be able to move without rules restricting them or empty teams pulling them back down below their ability just to fill out a team and no other reason.
The most in the default setup is 2 rookie teams (GCL, AZL) the Dominican teams are two also, but in the case of the DSL, there is a three year limit as opposed to two. Also....most of these players come from the international complex.

Would it be advisable to have a 40 round draft while generating many more players? So say 40 rounds with players generated for 50 rounds? Or more?
Old 11-24-2019, 07:58 PM   #7
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Any thoughts on this?