Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2019, 08:06 PM   #21
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogberry99 View Post
As a collector, I have numerous cards on my roster that are not getting playing time on my theme team

Old 08-29-2019, 08:31 PM   #22
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
As a collector, I have numerous cards on my roster that are not getting playing time on my theme team

Late Edit: If you need an example, I currently have 70 OVR Clint Courtney catching on the West Covina Ex-Girlfriends in Perfect League while Peak Buck Ewing sits on my reserve roster because he does not meet my current theme.
perhaps.... and I can relate in that I have some diamond/gold players inactive as they don't fit the theme of my team; but I also have the best diamond/gold players I can field on my active roster....

and on my pack-only squad, I actually had some top notch players for a time (made it to silver level with a perfect Scherzer card as my ace starter)... decided to shift them to a historical theme so he no longer fit.... but sold him off so I could afford more packs to try for better historical cards.... that team has plenty of diamond/gold live cards on the inactive/reserve roster (as I only sell off duplicates hoping to fill out some missions); but those live diamond/gold cards will never be rotated into the lineup to stomp the competition at lower levels (and the team sunk to iron league and is still there as they try to dig back out with the new theme lineup, so they could use the help)....

that being said... if the example team in the original post just rotates their best squad in when they are in Iron and then fields the team of their worst iron cards when they get to Bronze.... I'm struggling to see what the theme there would be... (other than they just want to rack up as many points as they can, or they are hoping to break the record for most wins in a season, but can't say those come off as 'themes')
Old 08-29-2019, 08:47 PM   #23
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl jason View Post
perhaps.... and I can relate in that I have some diamond/gold players inactive as they don't fit the theme of my team; but I also have the best diamond/gold players I can field on my active roster....

and on my pack-only squad, I actually had some top notch players for a time (made it to silver level with a perfect Scherzer card as my ace starter)... decided to shift them to a historical theme so he no longer fit.... but sold him off so I could afford more packs to try for better historical cards.... that team has plenty of diamond/gold live cards on the inactive/reserve roster (as I only sell off duplicates hoping to fill out some missions); but those live diamond/gold cards will never be rotated into the lineup to stomp the competition at lower levels (and the team sunk to iron league and is still there as they try to dig back out with the new theme lineup, so they could use the help)....

that being said... if the example team in the original post just rotates their best squad in when they are in Iron and then fields the team of their worst iron cards when they get to Bronze.... I'm struggling to see what the theme there would be... (other than they just want to rack up as many points as they can, or they are hoping to break the record for most wins in a season, but can't say those come off as 'themes')

There isn't. People are using the thread to put out their thoughts on the overall meta.

None of it relates to this case.

Old 08-29-2019, 08:52 PM   #24
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdog512 View Post
There isn't. People are using the thread to put out their thoughts on the overall meta.

None of it relates to this case.
Excuse me for thinking that Bronze league was a low enough level to allow us to play with whatever cards, themed or otherwise, we wanted to test.

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team
Old 08-29-2019, 08:58 PM   #25
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Excuse me for thinking that Bronze league was a low enough level to allow us to play with whatever cards, themed or otherwise, we wanted to test.
He's playing perfects and irons alternately. Are you serious or not paying attention?

No, you can't buy a bunch of perfects and spends week trashing guys and then switching and repeating. Isn't the low levels for low level guys? I mean honestly, do you really think this is cool?

Look Dog, this is an a-hole move to farm off regular players. Devs will deal with it. I'm just surprised anyone here is even remotely defending it. He's not trapped, he's gaming the system to anyone who is paying attention.

Old 08-29-2019, 08:58 PM   #26
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl jason View Post
I agree. I see no apparent theme here. While some themes may not be obvious to outside observers (how many would recognize it if I went through with my idea of fielding an All-SEC theme team?), it is highly unlikely that this is what is happening here.

My question, that others want to summarily dismiss, pertains to whether or not this behavior would still be punished if they were instead to follow a specific theme. If so - and I believe that it needs to be so - does that then mean that there are certain themes that are not allowed, even at Bronze level?

Primary Team

Old 08-29-2019, 08:59 PM   #27
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Quote:
He's playing perfects and irons alternately. Are you serious or not paying attention?

No, you can't buy a bunch of perfects and spends week trashing guys and then switching and repeating. Isn't the low levels for low level guys? I mean honestly, do you really think this is cool?

Look Dog, this is an a-hole move to farm off regular players. Devs will deal with it. I'm just surprised anyone here is even remotely defending it. He's not trapped, he's gaming the system to anyone who is paying attention.
I'm not trying to defend their behavior. I'm trying to make certain that collectors do not get punished along with people like this who deserve punishment.

Primary Team

Old 08-29-2019, 09:05 PM   #28
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm not trying to defend their behavior. I'm trying to make certain that collectors do not get punished along with people like this who deserve punishment.

Replying to a thread where it's clear there is a violation doesn't make certain anyone will not be punished. Might want to change your targets.

For the record, collectors have at it. Do this, addios.

Old 08-29-2019, 09:09 PM   #29
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Quote:
Replying to a thread where it's clear there is a violation doesn't make certain anyone will not be punished. Might want to change your targets.

For the record, collectors have at it. Do this, addios.
Collectors WILL do this though. Maybe not to this extreme, but collectors WILL play themes that include, for example, cards that are not very good while they have perfects on their reserve and inactive rosters.

If a theme is invalid because a collector has too many cards that are too much better than those being fielded - which is similar enough to what is going on here to make it a logical question to ask - can they expect to be punished in the same way?

Primary Team

Last edited by Dogberry99; 08-29-2019 at 09:11 PM.
Old 08-29-2019, 10:09 PM   #30
HRBaker
Hall Of Famer

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Opening day you add up the OVR of the best 25 players on the total roster. Then average that number - let's say it's 80. Do not let the active roster average go less than -10% of that number for the entire season - in other words, 72. If the starting OVR average is 95, the lower limit of the active roster for the season(week) is 86.

Problem solved.

Old 08-29-2019, 10:21 PM   #31
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Collectors WILL do this though. Maybe not to this extreme, but collectors WILL play themes that include, for example, cards that are not very good while they have perfects on their reserve and inactive rosters.

If a theme is invalid because a collector has too many cards that are too much better than those being fielded - which is similar enough to what is going on here to make it a logical question to ask - can they expect to be punished in the same way?
Take it too some other thread, this is indeed the extreme so why argue a middle of the road thing here? You are persistent, I will give you that. Even if it is the wrong thread.

Old 08-29-2019, 10:27 PM   #32
Semtextual
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBaker View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Opening day you add up the OVR of the best 25 players on the total roster. Then average that number - let's say it's 80. Do not let the active roster average go less than -10% of that number for the entire season - in other words, 72. If the starting OVR average is 95, the lower limit of the active roster for the season(week) is 86.

Problem solved.
He changes his whole roster before opening day.
Old 08-29-2019, 10:37 PM   #33
HRBaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semtextual View Post
He changes his whole roster before opening day.
What I said was ""Opening day you add up the OVR of the best 25 players on the total roster."" That means his average OVR will be based on his best players regardless of where they are at - which will mean his opening day active roster would not be accepted.

Bottom line; if you try to keep your best cards on the reserve list, your team would sit out the week.

Old 08-29-2019, 10:56 PM   #34
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBaker View Post
Bottom line; if you try to keep your best cards on the reserve list, your team would sit out the week.
This is how you alienate collectors. If my collection prevents me from running my theme team as I see fit, then the game ought to manage my lineup for me.

Primary Team

Last edited by Dogberry99; 08-29-2019 at 10:59 PM.
Old 08-29-2019, 11:04 PM   #35
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

That idea kills the chance to run a theme team though for collectors who also have highly rated players.

To me it's pretty simple. There needs to be tier assignment based on the average OVR of your active roster at the time of reset. Say perfect is over 95, diamond 90-94, gold 80-89, whatever. Then you can't make any moves that take your team out of that tier during the week. Give bigger rewards for playing in the higher tiers.

Everyone is now going against appropriate competition. All the incentive is aligned in doing your best for that season. If anyone wants to change things up they can switch from their whale team to their silver lefties whose name starts with a vowel team for a season and it doesn't negatively impact anyone because they can move fluidly to the right level for their team week to week.

Last edited by dkgo; 08-29-2019 at 11:07 PM.
Old 08-30-2019, 12:19 AM   #36
The_Savage_1
Minors (Double A)

I don't think there's any problem in running theme teams at lower levels, the problem would be if you alternated from say an all diamond team to an all iron team every other week in order to yo-yo between the lower levels like this clown is doing.
Old 08-30-2019, 01:26 AM   #37
Badnewsgoonies
Minors (Rookie Ball)

It feels like the conversation shifted a lot obviously this guy isn’t doing anything themed related and is completely wrong forget about him.

My question was should you be allowed to drop a Divison if you feel you need to retool and the competition is just too far ahead where you are. Maybe the answer is no and I’m ok with that because if you truely are struggling that hard you’ll naturally drop after a couple of weeks.

Maybe have the divisions set so there’s a min/max average for each and if you want a themed team with a much lower overall average you can choose to join a lower league, allowing you to actually compete with teams and not wreck yourself in perfect.

Anyways just a random thought which would be super hard to implement and also compelely messes up the current system but a fun idea regardless.

Last edited by Badnewsgoonies; 08-30-2019 at 01:27 AM.
Old 08-30-2019, 03:56 AM   #38
Marleigh
All Star Reserve

Quote:

Late Edit: If you need an example, I currently have 70 OVR Clint Courtney catching on the West Covina Ex-Girlfriends in Perfect League while Peak Buck Ewing sits on my reserve roster because he does not meet my current theme.
There is a world of difference between that and what this guy is doing

Old 08-30-2019, 03:59 AM   #39
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post
It would be like a team in the premier league getting themselves relegated so that they could crush the EFL championship. No one does that because you make a lot of money by being in the premier league and very little by playing in the championship instead of getting paid for each goal and shutout regardless of the competition level.
Just do whatever Bury have been doing; it has worked well for them!

...and then I skimmed over the next 15 or so posts because people are standing in the butcher's shop and arguing over whether the salad was grown on Mercury or not … AGAIN.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Old 08-30-2019, 04:41 AM   #40
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Yeah, we've run this convo into the ground.
Closed Thread