Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the 2017 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 01-21-2017, 02:30 PM   #41
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breich View Post
Will there be special cases for TV contracts when a team gets promoted/relegated? Currently our promo/relegation league has TV contracts to $0 because of the use case where a team locks up a TV contract in a higher league, tanks to a lower league, but still banks the better contract.
Real life again provides reference. If I recall correctly, clubs relegated from the Premier League received, for a period of time, half the normal television contract revenue it received while in the Premier League, in order to ease their transition into the lower level league and its lower level of typical revenue.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 02:40 PM   #42
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

This is probably the best new feature this year!
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 02:50 PM   #43
reo
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeters1734 View Post
Incredible! We've been asking for this for years! Very excited to see it.
Definitely. I am too! Fictional players ftw!
Gil Renard: Don't get greedy, son. Don't get greedy. What we need now is a sacrifice. A winning team has to know how to manufacture runs. Coop taught me that. He used to say the most beautiful play in the game is a sacrifice fly, and you know why?
Richie Renard: 'Cause you give yourself up for the team?
Gil Renard: And it doesn't even count against your average. That's why baseball's better than life - it's fair.
reo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 03:00 PM   #44
mgom27
Hall Of Famer

Olympics? TV/Annoucers Contacts that are real ones? Fir WBC just using like USA and so on Teams.
Old 01-22-2017, 04:53 AM   #45
kq76
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caporegime View Post
Promotion/Relegation is definitely a cool addition, but it's such an alien concept to American sports and most American sports fans in general.

Can you imagine, for example, someone buying the Yankees for $3.5 billion, followed immediately by them having a crummy year and ending up in last place and then being "relegated" to AAA for the following season, where they would play such prestigious teams like the Syracuse Chiefs, Rochester Red Wings, and the Las Vegas 51s? Ticket sales would plummet, the fans would riot, and the owner's new $3.5 billion dollar toy would probably end up depreciating in value by 250%.
I don't think it needs to be done exactly the way it's done elsewhere in the world. For example, I've done leagues where I've only split MLB into 2 tiers, minor leagues all stay like they are now, but one tier is the top the other is the bottom and that's it. It'd be like the Yankees getting relegated to the same division as the Twins, Rays, and As for a year or two. But with them being the Yankees with their market you needn't worry that they would be in the lower tier for too long. (And in my league the champion of the lower tier still gets a shot at the playoffs championship.) For comparison, how often isn't that top market teams like ManU or Arsenal get demoted or even worse, stay demoted for longer than a year or two? I don't follow soccer closely, but I doubt that happens much if ever.
kq76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 11:54 AM   #46
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kq76 View Post
I don't think it needs to be done exactly the way it's done elsewhere in the world. For example, I've done leagues where I've only split MLB into 2 tiers, minor leagues all stay like they are now, but one tier is the top the other is the bottom and that's it. It'd be like the Yankees getting relegated to the same division as the Twins, Rays, and As for a year or two. But with them being the Yankees with their market you needn't worry that they would be in the lower tier for too long. (And in my league the champion of the lower tier still gets a shot at the playoffs championship.) For comparison, how often isn't that top market teams like ManU or Arsenal get demoted or even worse, stay demoted for longer than a year or two? I don't follow soccer closely, but I doubt that happens much if ever.
That's how i've done pro/reg before. SL1 was my "premier" league and SL2 was the relegated league. The only difference is I customized the playoffs to only use SL1 teams.

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 02:01 PM   #47
elchriso
Bat Boy

Perhaps a minor detail, but do you think the game is able to factor in market size in a pro/rel setup? Before this upcoming edition I felt the game assumed teams were within the same general realm of financial ability to compete with eachother. Sure there are small and big market teams but the small market team can still win the World Series on occasion. However, if you want to make a really deep setup, is the game setup in a way that a team from Shereveport, Louisiana realistically isn't going to be able to go toe to toe with the Yankees and probably doesn't have the financial muscle to make it too high up the ranks?
elchriso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 03:32 PM   #48
waltwa
All Star Reserve

I don't really understand the concept discussed here but but it sounds like a soccer concept. beware the last time this league went in a soccer direction (2006) it really hurt the league
waltwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 03:35 PM   #49
slugger922cubs
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchriso View Post
Perhaps a minor detail, but do you think the game is able to factor in market size in a pro/rel setup? Before this upcoming edition I felt the game assumed teams were within the same general realm of financial ability to compete with eachother. Sure there are small and big market teams but the small market team can still win the World Series on occasion. However, if you want to make a really deep setup, is the game setup in a way that a team from Shereveport, Louisiana realistically isn't going to be able to go toe to toe with the Yankees and probably doesn't have the financial muscle to make it too high up the ranks?
OOTP already takes into account "market size". Although it is a separate input that can be edited in commissioner mode. I believe the reason it isn't formally tied to geographic cities is the population of a city is not completely related to the size of a team's "market". For example if you look at hockey. Many Canadian cities are small by comparison to American cities but they are loaded with hockey fans and thus have bigger markets.
Another instance is shared markets. The Giants and A's share a market yet clearly have different market sizes. Separating market size from population maintains the ability to customize these relationships.

I have a fictional league I run based in Australia where I have teams from large cities regularly and usually perennially making a "champions league playoffs" and teams in smaller cities and towns rarely snagging them. But it took some tinkering with market size numbers to get the balance right.
slugger922cubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 04:00 PM   #50
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltwa View Post
I don't really understand the concept discussed here but but it sounds like a soccer concept. beware the last time this league went in a soccer direction (2006) it really hurt the league
This league? Lol. Pro/reg isn't a soccer concept. It's used throughout the world in many sports, including baseball.

So what hurt the "league" in 2006?

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 05:20 PM   #51
professor ape
All Star Starter

No question from my end at this point but I wanted to make sure to thank the team for getting this into 18! I have been waiting for this for years and now fear for my free time this summer.
professor ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 05:40 PM   #52
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

How will tie breakers work between teams that are up for demotion?
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 11:45 AM   #53
Matt Uk
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
Real life again provides reference. If I recall correctly, clubs relegated from the Premier League received, for a period of time, half the normal television contract revenue it received while in the Premier League, in order to ease their transition into the lower level league and its lower level of typical revenue.

Relegated teams receive what they call parachute payments. They now receive them for three years ( 55%, 45% then 20% of the normal tv contract) unless they are relegated in their first season in which case they only get them for two years when they get 55% then 45%.

The latest tv rights deal was 5.3 billion for the 3 year period. A staggering figure that is ruining the game further down. The Premier League is in danger of becoming a closed shop with a lot of the same teams getting promoted after being relegated

Last edited by Matt Uk; 01-25-2017 at 11:50 AM.
Matt Uk is offline   Reply With Quote