Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

View Poll Results: What's your preferred term for this role?
Headliner Pitcher 3 37.50%
Follower Pitcher 3 37.50%
Primary Pitcher 0 0%
Featured Pitcher 0 0%
Bulk Pitcher 2 25.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-23-2020, 04:40 AM   #1
kq76
Global Moderator

Follower or Headliner or?

What's your favourite term for this pitching role?

I like "headliner" the best. A "follower" to me has a negative connotation and, really, all relievers are followers. There's only one "headline" act in a show though. They don't open the show, but they're the act that generates the most interest, sells the most tickets, etc.
kq76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 05:43 AM   #2
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Stupid Concept Pitcher.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 10:07 AM   #3
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

"Headliner" connotes "star" to me, which works for the concept that you are trying to bring forth, kq76.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 09:33 PM   #4
TC Dale
Global Moderator

I always was partial to Staff Ace. Headliner or Follower is ok, but, if there is only one pitcher you start for a must win, I prefer Staff Ace. Headliner is ok but that might just be my age. The other 'designations' are ok, just not a good enough term I guess for me. Good idea on the thread though!
TC Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 06:43 AM   #5
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kq76 View Post
What's your favourite term for this pitching role?

I like "headliner" the best. A "follower" to me has a negative connotation and, really, all relievers are followers. There's only one "headline" act in a show though. They don't open the show, but they're the act that generates the most interest, sells the most tickets, etc.
I went with "bulk pitcher"

A pitcher being used in this manner probably isn't the reason fans are buying tickets to this game.
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 07:04 AM   #6
pilight
All Star Starter

Entrée pitcher
pilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 11:07 AM   #7
PocketsAintFull
All Star Starter

Headliner sounds a little odd to me. Happy with Follower (not that I like the concept anyway, heh)
Old 02-26-2020, 01:13 PM   #8
Rizon
Hall Of Famer

What kind of pitcher is this? I haven't heard of any of these before.
Old 02-26-2020, 08:16 PM   #9
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

I first read of the concept of starting a reliever long ago in a book written in the 60s although I don't remember the name of the book. Anyway, the point then was to plan in advance pinch hitting for the pitcher.
Brad K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 08:17 PM   #10
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Regardless of how long the first pitcher goes, the second pitcher is a reliever. And so is the third, etc.
Old 02-27-2020, 12:07 AM   #11
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad K View Post
Regardless of how long the first pitcher goes, the second pitcher is a reliever. And so is the third, etc.
I usually agree with you
But, not this time

A pitcher coming in to pitch 5+ innings in the first inning is the same as a pitcher coming in to pitch 5+ innings in the second inning. There's no meaningful difference.

There's nothing special about starting a game vs coming in after the 3rd or 4th batter

We may need to rethink the way we designate pitchers as ther way pitchers are used changes
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 09:28 AM   #12
Boomcoach
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
I usually agree with you
But, not this time

A pitcher coming in to pitch 5+ innings in the first inning is the same as a pitcher coming in to pitch 5+ innings in the second inning. There's no meaningful difference.

There's nothing special about starting a game vs coming in after the 3rd or 4th batter

We may need to rethink the way we designate pitchers as ther way pitchers are used changes
Whenever I hear people complain about changes like this I am reminded about an article in SI many moons ago about the 100th year of the Sporting News (Could have been 150 years, even.) The story referenced articles through the years, including one about the first team to start actively using a cut-off man. I picture the people complaining today, 100 years back going, "In my day, if you caught the ball, you threw it where it needed to go. No one had to catch it for you and throw it on. I don't care if helps the team win, it shows a lack of moral fiber in today's game!"

In the end, I was Ws for my team. I wish my team had 5 Gerrit Cole level pitchers, they went 8 innings every game, and my lineup was like the '76 Reds and our bench was just for injuries. That ain't happening. If using opener/follower gets me more wins in games that my #5 starter pitches, I am a happy boy!

Let's Go Crew

Last edited by Boomcoach; 02-27-2020 at 09:29 AM. Reason: correcting call to caught
Boomcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 09:29 PM   #13
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
I usually agree with you
But, not this time

You've changed my mind!!!