Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 06-13-2018, 09:35 AM   #1
mmarra82
Major Leagues

Jacoby Ellsbury

Running the Yankees in my franchise mode, dealing with Jacoby Ellsbury is a challenge. He is currently the 5th outfielder on the team, getting few at bats, and zero production when he does have the opportunity.

He stills has three years, at over 20 million dollars.

Ideas of what to do? He cannot be traded, likely will not be picked up and designated for assignment/waivers, and the hit to release him is large.

Carrying 13 pitchers and 12 bats, suggestions?
mmarra82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:49 AM   #2
ThePretender
All Star Starter

Trade him for a similarly expensive player with less term and a higher AAV on his contract. That way you get out of the deal faster. Or trade for a quality player who makes a high salary and include Ellsbury to offset how much you're paying.
ThePretender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 01:47 PM   #3
Rosco Peabody
All Star Starter

Or you could keep him and trade away Judge and all of the other players, causing the Yankees to tank and come in last place....

(full disclosure- I am a Red Sox fan...)

Been playing since OOTP '08

Avatar is a picture of me drawn by one of my students a few years ago

(My real name is not Rosco, nor do I live anywhere near Peabody)
Rosco Peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:10 PM   #4
mmarra82
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosco Peabody View Post
Or you could keep him and trade away Judge and all of the other players, causing the Yankees to tank and come in last place....

I'm sure I would have a job when that ended
Old 06-13-2018, 03:48 PM   #5
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Just keep putting Ellsbury on the 60 day DL.

I can't recall a player who is so often injured as Ellsbury.
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 05:14 PM   #6
mmarra82
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1966 View Post
Just keep putting Ellsbury on the 60 day DL.

I can't recall a player who is so often injured as Ellsbury.
Has to have an injury to be placed on DL. He’s healthy.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:36 AM   #7
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
I was rebuilding the Pirates and I actually traded for Ellsbury in challenge mode. And the Yankees had no issues eating a huge portion of his salary. Forget what I gave up but it was peanuts.

Needed to actually start him. He did good and I was able to flip him at deadline for a middling prospect since he was basically free for that team.

So you can do the opposite. You should be able to move if you either eat huge salary or trade him to a team that has enough payroll but include a decent prospect and get a lesser prospect in return. You at least clear the money off of your books.

Of course you have to hope your trading partner has recently lost an OF and is in a Win It Now mode to help you out. If not you might get stuck giving up a higher grade prospect and basically getting dead weight back.

Or yeah look for a contract that expire the current year. Even if its bigger then his. If its off the books this season who cares how much it is.
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 06:06 AM   #8
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarra82 View Post
Has to have an injury to be placed on DL. He’s healthy.
Injuries can be added with player editor(in commish mode).
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:55 AM   #9
wallewalls
All Star Reserve

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
I've run a few Yankees sims, and he has actually come up clutch for me at times when all of my other CF options were struggling really bad lol

As far as what to do with him, I kept him on the roster until the 2020 season because it is not realistic to trade him, but when shopping him I was able to get back a list of a couple of shorter term contracts with slightly less money, but I didn't pull the trigger because I thought it was unrealistic. I ended up releasing him when he had one guaranteed year left on the contract. He's maybe a waste of a roster spot, but still a useful player.
wallewalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:04 AM   #10
mmarra82
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1966 View Post
Injuries can be added with player editor(in commish mode).
Haha...cheat!
Old 06-14-2018, 09:08 AM   #11
mmarra82
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallewalls View Post
I've run a few Yankees sims, and he has actually come up clutch for me at times when all of my other CF options were struggling really bad lol

As far as what to do with him, I kept him on the roster until the 2020 season because it is not realistic to trade him, but when shopping him I was able to get back a list of a couple of shorter term contracts with slightly less money, but I didn't pull the trigger because I thought it was unrealistic. I ended up releasing him when he had one guaranteed year left on the contract. He's maybe a waste of a roster spot, but still a useful player.
I have trading set at hard or very hard (forgot exactly), I haven't received any interest yet. He is on the trading block, but attempting to feel things out I made an offer for Hammels with Texas who is acutally more of a contract per season. Offered to eat about 30% of Ellsbury's deal and Texas GM responded with they do not want to take on a veteran player with a vastly overpaid contract.

Have to play out more of the season as the deadline approaches to see if he has interest elsewhere. Otherwise I'll need to figure him into my plans for a couple of seasons.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:47 AM   #12
ThePretender
All Star Starter

You can also add a prospect or a major league calibre player who the other team likes. Someone who isn't as valuable to you as perhaps the other team.
ThePretender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:03 PM   #13
The Yurpman
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosco Peabody View Post

You should do this. Trade Judge to the Sox while you're at it. Jacoby is MUCH better.
The Yurpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:29 PM   #14
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Or, you can do what the real life Yankees are doing which is to not even be talking about him anymore. It's true; he's not even mentioned in the team injury summaries that I see in local media these days. Last step before the true write-off of releasing him, it seems.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 08:46 AM   #15
wallewalls
All Star Reserve

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
I have trading set at hard or very hard (forgot exactly), I haven't received any interest yet. He is on the trading block, but attempting to feel things out I made an offer for Hammels with Texas who is acutally more of a contract per season. Offered to eat about 30% of Ellsbury's deal and Texas GM responded with they do not want to take on a veteran player with a vastly overpaid contract.

Have to play out more of the season as the deadline approaches to see if he has interest elsewhere. Otherwise I'll need to figure him into my plans for a couple of seasons.
i have trading set on hard and maybe it was because he was actually playing well for me in my save, but i was able to shop him and get offers straight up for him. i didnt take them though, like i said.

in ootp 18, i was able to move him for denard span's contract while retaining some salary, that doesn't help much for 19 but thats a trade i remember doing. i wish i could remember who i got offered for in 19, and i cant go back and look because i never made the trade,

in terms of ellsbury IRL, i think this is going to be his last season as a yankee and that he wont make an appearance for the yankees until september of this season when rosters expand as they dont want to waste a roster spot on him right now. which is a shame, i like ellsbury, he's a decent player, just horribly overpaid
wallewalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 11:10 AM   #16
ynkefan23
Minors (Rookie Ball)

LOL. I released him anyway
ynkefan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 11:13 AM   #17
stealofhome
Hall Of Famer

Talking about Jacoby Ellsbury reminds me of a video I just watched from Matt Antonelli. Pretty good story about Ellsbury in there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ4k2BeUHJc
stealofhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 10:00 PM   #18
diesel230
All Star Reserve

I've actually called into the Michael Kay show a few times to say i feel like Ellsbury is getting a pass from the NY media. They have KILLED guys in the past who had similar situations (Carl Pavano). Plus, Ellsbury is never seen or heard. Zero personality. To me, Ellsbury is and was the most overrated player in Baseball, living off one great season. The Yankee owners panicked when Cano left and signed Ellsbury to the worst contract possibly in MLB history.

Last edited by diesel230; 06-15-2018 at 10:04 PM.
diesel230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 11:09 PM   #19
mmarra82
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel230 View Post
I've actually called into the Michael Kay show a few times to say i feel like Ellsbury is getting a pass from the NY media. They have KILLED guys in the past who had similar situations (Carl Pavano). Plus, Ellsbury is never seen or heard. Zero personality. To me, Ellsbury is and was the most overrated player in Baseball, living off one great season. The Yankee owners panicked when Cano left and signed Ellsbury to the worst contract possibly in MLB history.

I agree to some of what you are saying.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:41 PM   #20
Swami077
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Haha...cheat!
I actually don't think it's cheating. MLB teams make up injuries to put ineffective players on the DL all the time.
Swami077 is offline   Reply With Quote