Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:58 AM   #1
udbacker58
All Star Starter

Making Offers to Coaches under Contract

You should be able to make offers to coaches who are already under contract, so long as it is a step-up in role and pay.

If there's a long-time bench coach, or hitting/pitching coach, or minor league manager, etc. who could be a good major league manager, teams should get the opportunity to make them offers. Same goes for minor league hitting/pitching coaches who are good enough to get a job in the majors.

I always felt it was strange that you can basically horde the best coaches as long as they are willing to take extensions.
udbacker58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:46 AM   #2
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

What are the league anti-tampering rules, exactly? I'm sure that a step up in role *has* to be part of that but beyond that, too, I'm almost positive that you need to get permission from the team who has the coach under contract to speak with him. On top of that, I'm not sure that it's all "steps up" in roles that apply; if a guy is a manager at AA I'm not sure you can interview him for your AAA job without violating the anti-tampering rules.
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:39 PM   #3
Airdrop01
All Star Starter

Well, in real life you cannot do that without permission of the team. Otherwise it’s tortious interference with contract.

In real life this also isn’t a problem because, frankly, teams don’t hoard coaches as coaches are pretty interchangeable except for the “want to” quality. The Dave Duncans of the world are few and very far between. Heck, even Dave Duncan isn’t the “Dave Duncan” now. He’s a semi retired hanger on....

Last edited by Airdrop01; 02-23-2018 at 12:42 PM.
Airdrop01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 01:40 PM   #4
bellysk8er2005
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdrop01 View Post
The Dave Duncans of the world are few and very far between. Heck, even Dave Duncan isn’t the “Dave Duncan” now. He’s a semi retired hanger on....
Living in St. Louis this makes me sad.
bellysk8er2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 01:45 PM   #5
Airdrop01
All Star Starter

Dude was exceptionally good at his job in STL. Be glad y’all had him!
Old 02-23-2018, 07:16 PM   #6
MrBojangles
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by udbacker58 View Post
You should be able to make offers to coaches who are already under contract, so long as it is a step-up in role and pay.

If there's a long-time bench coach, or hitting/pitching coach, or minor league manager, etc. who could be a good major league manager, teams should get the opportunity to make them offers. Same goes for minor league hitting/pitching coaches who are good enough to get a job in the majors.

I always felt it was strange that you can basically horde the best coaches as long as they are willing to take extensions.
I try to horde good coaches not only at MLB level but also in my minor system to both develop my playing talent and also provide a deep "bench of coaches" to shift around when one inconveniently retires.
MrBojangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 10:49 AM   #7
udbacker58
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd Thrift View Post
What are the league anti-tampering rules, exactly? I'm sure that a step up in role *has* to be part of that but beyond that, too, I'm almost positive that you need to get permission from the team who has the coach under contract to speak with him. On top of that, I'm not sure that it's all "steps up" in roles that apply; if a guy is a manager at AA I'm not sure you can interview him for your AAA job without violating the anti-tampering rules.
Yeah, they need permission to speak with anyone under contract. In real life, many times teams grant permission as you don't want to be seen as the organization that holds their employees back from potential advancement. In a fictional universe, most everyone will probably just block any moves by not granting permission.

Maybe minor league coaches should just be less willing to take extensions at their current level, and less willing to be reassigned to a lower level.
udbacker58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 11:23 AM   #8
Jerry Helper
Major Leagues

Also they may need "permission" in real life, but lets be adults here. Teams get offers out to coaches via back channels all the time. The idea that a coach has no idea what kind of offers he would get before his contract runs out is just silly.
Jerry Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 12:14 AM   #9
BrianSul
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Overpayment check

Once when playing in Challege mode I mistakenly offered a 5 year contract to a trainer, he was asking for 600,000 and I wanted offer 500,000 per year, but I typed an extra zero 5000000. It kind of ruined my Challege league to be paying my Trainer so much. Adding some kind of check for offers that are too high would be an improvement.
BrianSul is offline   Reply With Quote