Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 4 > Franchise Hockey Manager 4 - General Discussion

Franchise Hockey Manager 4 - General Discussion Talk about the latest FHM, officially licensed by the NHL!

Old 11-19-2017, 03:13 PM   #1
herm1978
Minors (Single A)

Better keeper gets to be backup

I play as GM and for some reason my head coach thinks it resonable to start (actually seems the numbers include coming in after the starter gets pulled, but point still stands) my 3* backup in 54 games vs 21 for my brand new free agent 9 million dollar 4,5* man (Holtby).

Holtby have started only 5 of the latest 20 games with:
GR SV%
81 .933
67 .933
47 .857
79 .955
89 .932

So far Holtby hasnt been above H0. Shouldnt that increse with a good game?

Something must be wrong, my "backup", also at H0, just let in 5 goals with a SV% of .878 (GR 62) but increased to H1. I assume because we won 6-5. Holtby have had multiple games at H0 where we won and he didnt increase his "hotness".

When the playoffs started my HC decided to start Holtby again and now he seems to increase in "hotness" again.

Last edited by herm1978; 11-19-2017 at 03:51 PM.
herm1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 04:13 PM   #2
Savoie45
All Star Reserve

That's why I play as GM/Coach, even if I'm not fully invested in being the coach. I can at least remedy bone headed AI moves such as this.
Savoie45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 05:33 AM   #3
JeffR
FHM Producer

Most hotness increases aren't guaranteed; the better the performance the more likely one is to happen, but it's never certain. The actual number of saves is a fairly large factor, too; if those .933's are nights where he stopped 14 of 15, that's less likely to get an increase than if he stopped 42 of 45. 5 GA and a save% of .878 suggests 36 saves on 41 shots for the backup, which is enough to have a chance of getting a heat increase (albeit with the lowest possible chance for one based on save totals alone.) A win alone also carries a chance of an increase, but it's a small one and wouldn't be checked in this case because the save chance is a bit higher.

The number of starts the backup was getting would be influenced by the goalie use settings for backup start frequency, start hottest goalie settings, or using the best goalie. If the first two were high and the latter low, that's not going to give the top guy much of a preference over somebody rated only 1.5 stars worse, particularly if the backup gets hot.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 05:49 AM   #4
herm1978
Minors (Single A)

The "game by game" stats from last season seems to have vanished, so I sadly cant check them for nr of saves.

I'm currently at just before the first game of the pre-season. And right now the Goalie starts settings are 2 for hottest goalie, 2 for best goalie and 1 for backup start.

I dont seem to be able to change the settings myself (I assume because I have a HC), so I dont know if the HC changed them after the end of last season or not.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:10 AM   #5
JeffR
FHM Producer

Yeah, if you're GM-only, that'll be up to the head coach. Only 2 for best goalie is probably the biggest part of it; the likely cause of that being fairly low is the backup being starter-quality himself. I may tweak that a little to get the AI to select a higher number if the starter has a particularly high rating (right now it just looks at the difference), but it's a fairly unusual roster situation to have a backup that's that good; no team in the starting 2017-18 NHL rosters, for example, has a backup rated better than 2.5.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:21 AM   #6
herm1978
Minors (Single A)

Ok, thats why he seems to do ok then, wasnt aware that 3* was starter quality. Guess thats the only part of the expansion draft that Vegas does ok in, I still have Grubauer from the draft and hes gotten to 3* ability (think he was 2,5* at start and Mrazek had 3*s, but when I signed Holtby as FA and got rid of Mrazek I guess Grubauer upped his game )
Old 11-20-2017, 02:32 PM   #7
herm1978
Minors (Single A)

When the HC have a 4 in "stick with the starter during playoffs" in "goalie starts" on the strategy screen, should he play 3* Grubauer instead of 4* Holtby then?

(Last playoffs he changed to Holtby, then 4,5*, when playoffs started even though Grubauer had made the most starts that regular season. This season Holtby has 43 GP vs 40 for Grubauer)
Old 11-20-2017, 02:39 PM   #8
micpringle
Minors (Triple A)

I think it means use the starter from the previous game. In my save I gave Murray a couple of games off at the end of the season to rest him prior to the playoffs, manually rotating on the pre-game screen to override the Goalie settings, and when it came to the first game of the playoffs the AI wanted to start Grubauer despite him only playing 9 games all season.
micpringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 03:15 PM   #9
herm1978
Minors (Single A)

Can't be, Grubauer didnt play at all the last three games before playoffs.

Guess the coach knew what he was doing, Grubauer played all 21 games as we won the stanley cup and had 5 SO. Still strange.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:14 AM   #10
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by micpringle View Post
I think it means use the starter from the previous game. In my save I gave Murray a couple of games off at the end of the season to rest him prior to the playoffs, manually rotating on the pre-game screen to override the Goalie settings, and when it came to the first game of the playoffs the AI wanted to start Grubauer despite him only playing 9 games all season.
It uses the starter from the previous playoff game, but it isn't used during the first game of the playoffs or if the starter was pulled in the previous game.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:05 AM   #11
jaguar8311
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoie45 View Post
That's why I play as GM/Coach, even if I'm not fully invested in being the coach. I can at least remedy bone headed AI moves such as this.
This, I restarted my game so I could do exactly this. Reverse decisions by stupid AI lineup selection
jaguar8311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 03:14 AM   #12
herm1978
Minors (Single A)

Is it possible for a goalie to be more than H5?

If not, I really really think Grubauer cheats (he is still mainly used as the starter, and the reason seems to be that he gets hot).

He is currently H5 and last game he had a GR of 27 and made 9 saves on 13 shots.

Assuming H5 is max, he should not stay that hot after such a game. For the record, we lost the game 4-1.
Old 11-27-2017, 04:06 AM   #13
JeffR
FHM Producer

As with the increases, the chances of a decrease aren't 100%. With a loss like that, he's highly likely to lose a point, but it isn't absolutely certain.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:41 AM   #14
herm1978
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR View Post
As with the increases, the chances of a decrease aren't 100%. With a loss like that, he's highly likely to lose a point, but it isn't absolutely certain.
Maybe it should be? Since "hotness" seems to have such a big influence on who gets to start.