Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 03-23-2017, 06:09 PM   #101
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaBurns View Post
I think you guys have a convert. I was surprised but I really just like looking at reports and wondering "what if"...
Welcome to the dark side. We have cookies.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 06:17 PM   #102
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
Ooph! Re-calc on? He was still mowing 'em down into his mid-40's IRL.
Yes 3 year recalc with development on. Torn ulnar collateral ligament on 04/23/1984, out 13-14 months. When he came back he actually pitched out of the bullpen for the rest of 85. He's 37 now and I have to wonder if he won't call it a career after disaster called 1987 comes to a close.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 06:28 PM   #103
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Yes 3 year recalc with development on. Torn ulnar collateral ligament on 04/23/1984, out 13-14 months. When he came back he actually pitched out of the bullpen for the rest of 85. He's 37 now and I have to wonder if he won't call it a career after disaster called 1987 comes to a close.
Randy Johnson has been an injury riddled mess for me too. Yet, he's on track to be a HoFer. Just not an inner circle HoFer. 1936: Partially torn labrum (4 months). 1940: Torn rotator cuff (13 months). Setback (2 more months). 1943: Partially torn UCL (Tommy John surgery) (11 months). 1944: Ruptured ulnar collateral ligament (12-13 months). 1949: Torn flexor tendon (elbow) (10 months). Setback (8-9 more months). It's a wonder his arm is still attached at age 42, given that he's been on the DL for over 5 years in total time.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:47 PM   #104
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Don't you just love how there's always the hidden gem of a player that doesn't make the random debut draft pool announcement each season? 1988's hidden gem......is none other than an 18 year old pitcher named Babe Ruth. I've never had Ruth in a random debut, so I'm really excited. Also excited to see Fred Lynn make his debut.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:51 PM   #105
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Check out Votto. Dude now has 3 MVP's in a row. Check out his OBPName:  fun_ride_1988-06-01_20-49-01.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  349.7 KB
Old 03-24-2017, 09:16 PM   #106
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Don't you just love how there's always the hidden gem of a player that doesn't make the random debut draft pool announcement each season? 1988's hidden gem......is none other than an 18 year old pitcher named Babe Ruth. I've never had Ruth in a random debut, so I'm really excited. Also excited to see Fred Lynn make his debut.
He showed up in mine...In the inaugural draft...As a 34 year old corner outfielder. He was pretty damn good...Just not Ruthian. 4 ASG, 2 SS, and 1 GG (the last one is pretty interesting - he won the GG in his age 39 season in RF - he was the best of a pretty lousy bunch I suppose - +2.6 ZR, 1.016 EFF - both of which are barely above average, but good enough that year apparently). No HoF for him unfortuately.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:17 PM   #107
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Check out Votto. Dude now has 3 MVP's in a row. Check out his OBPAttachment 497542
Dat On Base Percentage D'oh!
Old 03-25-2017, 08:03 AM   #108
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Decide to start the Historical in 1901 with the Spritze data base today. Just setting up now, stay tuned, may have lots of questions if you guys don't mind....
JaBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 04:51 PM   #109
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Decide to start the Historical in 1901 with the Spritze data base today. Just setting up now, stay tuned, may have lots of questions if you guys don't mind....
Fire away dude. Just remember I'm two versions behind you at the moment. You could also take it as far back as 1882 and you would still have 16 teams in your league if the 19th century is still being done as it has always been done. Let us know how it's going. I want to know how those Spritze fellas are looking in your game.
Old 03-25-2017, 05:22 PM   #110
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Ran the 1901 season something looks a little off, had triple crown winners in both leagues. Terry Pendleton was one but both hit over .475, 45 home runs, and drove in more than 170 in 140 games. 45 Homers was triple what anyone else, batting average 150 pts higher , and ~ 100 ribbies more than anyone else in the league.
Imports both Asian players and Negro Leaguer's but everyone seems to be age 22. Only saw a half dozen players over that age, all draft pool are also 22, and show as age 0 in the pool announcement, must have missed something, any ideas? Also ages in real life stats tab are up 900.

Going to try 1902 tomorrow and see if things straight out, if not blow up and try again. Age thing is bothering me should be far more random in initial draft and rookie pool.
Old 03-25-2017, 05:35 PM   #111
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Ran the 1901 season something looks a little off, had triple crown winners in both leagues. Terry Pendleton was one but both hit over .475, 45 home runs, and drove in more than 170 in 140 games. 45 Homers was triple what anyone else, batting average 150 pts higher , and ~ 100 ribbies more than anyone else in the league.
Imports both Asian players and Negro Leaguer's but everyone seems to be age 22. Only saw a half dozen players over that age, all draft pool are also 22, and show as age 0 in the pool announcement, must have missed something, any ideas? Also ages in real life stats tab are up 900.

Going to try 1902 tomorrow and see if things straight out, if not blow up and try again. Age thing is bothering me should be far more random in initial draft and rookie pool.
Hmm. I think I'll stick to my use default major league database and import Spritzeified guys of my choosing into my game method once I get the game. Sounds a bit messed up somewhere to me. Usually you get guys just starting out their careers all the way up to guys who are at the end for your Inaugural Draft. Sounds a bit fishy if you're getting mostly 18 to 22 year olds. You never know though, it may shake out better in 1902. Are you basing your LTMs/Strategy Settings on a specific year or doing catch as catch can for that?

Oops age 0 huh? That sounds like the Spritze isn't really designed to work with random debut to me, but I could be wrong. Keep trying. You're the guinea pig.
Old 03-25-2017, 05:49 PM   #112
JaBurns
All Star Starter

I make a good guinea pig because I don't mind starting again early in a league, set up, test, blow up if bad, start again. I think I am setting the LTM and Strategy for the specific year but will check in the morning. Like the idea of getting Negro Leaguer's and International players early so hopefully I can make this work. If not I will go to the regular database, but not for awhile, this idea with the Spritze database/historical has got me hooked. ...
Old 03-25-2017, 06:40 PM   #113
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I make a good guinea pig because I don't mind starting again early in a league, set up, test, blow up if bad, start again. I think I am setting the LTM and Strategy for the specific year but will check in the morning. Like the idea of getting Negro Leaguer's and International players early so hopefully I can make this work. If not I will go to the regular database, but not for awhile, this idea with the Spritze database/historical has got me hooked. ...
You can always go regular database/import from Spritze database as well. Kind of gives you the best of both worlds IMHO.
Old 03-26-2017, 02:51 PM   #114
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Crapped Out

Tried the 1902 season stats still looking out of wack. Blew it up starting again in 1901 with regular database. Have run the inaugural draft which looks much better with age distrubution. For some reason I am only getting 27 players per team in the draft, not 44 as I was reading early in this thread. Seeing ~ 200 free agents. Only roster moves I made in set up were to restrict the reserve roster to 30, to keep player's, and spring training roster to 50. Having a 10 round draft every December and decided to import 2 Negro Leaguer's every year who never played MLB, may make a few exceptions (Satchel Paige comes to mind) from the Spritze database. First two imports were Rube X Foster and Double Duty Radcliffe, both of whom I imported into the 1901 draft (impressed myself didn't even have to curse at the computer once). Won't be very scientific I will choose 1 pitcher and 1 fielder per year. Stay tuned planning to run 1901 season tomorrow one week at a time to check for problems with the league. Fingers crossed.

If you have any suggestions for Negro Leaguer's please let me know...

Last edited by JaBurns; 03-26-2017 at 02:53 PM.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:33 PM   #115
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Tried the 1902 season stats still looking out of wack. Blew it up starting again in 1901 with regular database. Have run the inaugural draft which looks much better with age distrubution. For some reason I am only getting 27 players per team in the draft, not 44 as I was reading early in this thread. Seeing ~ 200 free agents. Only roster moves I made in set up were to restrict the reserve roster to 30, to keep player's, and spring training roster to 50. Having a 10 round draft every December and decided to import 2 Negro Leaguer's every year who never played MLB, may make a few exceptions (Satchel Paige comes to mind) from the Spritze database. First two imports were Rube X Foster and Double Duty Radcliffe, both of whom I imported into the 1901 draft (impressed myself didn't even have to curse at the computer once). Won't be very scientific I will choose 1 pitcher and 1 fielder per year. Stay tuned planning to run 1901 season tomorrow one week at a time to check for problems with the league. Fingers crossed.

If you have any suggestions for Negro Leaguer's please let me know...
I wish I had suggestions for you. I use a random number generator and the Spritze master.csv file to figure out who's coming in. Generally I'll put in two per amateur draft, and I think I'll put 16 players into the inaugural draft to make it a 45 rounder. I use a little "affirmative action" to get Negro Leaguers in because I didn't get any for 44 years using straight up random selection and that's not what I want. Too many of them (if they're super good) can unbalance your league, so I'm very careful with that.

With the inaugural draft, possibly the reason you're seeing fewer per team plus a bunch of free agents is that the inaugural draft is set to 20 something rounds. You have to go in and manually adjust it to the number of rounds that will get all of the players drafted. I do that and use a serpentine order draft (meaning the teams draft 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 16, 15, 14, 13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 1 etc etc). That way, it reduces the advantage of going first in the inaugural draft every damn round. How many players in your game? Should be 704 if you have 44 players * 16 teams = 704 players. I think what may have happened is that your inaugural draft went 27 rounds and the remaining 272 players were dumped into the free agent pool. You could start your game over and make them all come through the draft, or leave it the way it is. S'up to you.

I never restrict the reserve roster. I still see about 50+ free agents sitting in the free agent pool the day before free agents file in the offseason, so there are still plenty to go around. I also don't know if the AI will do some funky things with the rosters and cut players it should be keeping and keep players it should be cutting. I had about 85% of the drafted players in my league getting to play in at least one game (the proverbial cup of coffee) with the game in OOTP16. I downloaded OOTP18 today, but I do a lot of modifying before it's game ready so I haven't really looked at it yet. So many great players have come into MLB since OOTP16 came out and I was missing them (OOTP16 is pre Carlos Correa, Francisco Lindor, Corey Seager, Michael Fulmer etc etc to name but a few). If I continue my 52 year old game, it will remain in OOTP16.

I will probably also import players like Satchel Paige from the Spritze database if he shows up in my game via the default database. I want him to be 18, not 41 damn it. Same goes for guys like Jackie Robinson, Roy Campanella, Monte Irvin etc.

Last edited by actionjackson; 03-26-2017 at 10:37 PM.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:10 PM   #116
Jamee999
All Star Reserve

I had the same problem with every player in the inaugural year of a Spritze random debut DB being 22.
Jamee999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 11:38 PM   #117
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamee999 View Post
I had the same problem with every player in the inaugural year of a Spritze random debut DB being 22.
What you can do is do like JaBurns did and set the default database up as your database and then import extra guys from the Spritze database via the in-game "Import Historical Player(s)" function. That way, you'll get a better age spread at your game's origin and you'll have access to the Spritzeified guys as well.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:24 AM   #118
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Can you explain how and where you get your random number generator to select your free agents from the Spritze database? Seems complicated and too technical for me, but I obviously don't know how you make it work.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:57 AM   #119
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Can you explain how and where you get your random number generator to select your free agents from the Spritze database? Seems complicated and too technical for me, but I obviously don't know how you make it work.
The website with the random number generator is here. I enter the number 65 (place in the Spritze database Master.csv file where the first non-major leaguer is listed) in the min. column and 33069 (place in the Spritze database Master.csv file where the final non-major leaguer is listed) in the max. column and click on the "generate" button. Whatever number pops up I go to that line in the Master.csv file (opened in Excel or Open Office Calc or similar spreadsheet type program) and see who the lucky winner is.

If it's a big leaguer (you can tell big leaguers by their neat and tidy player IDs - the number portion will run from 01 to no more than 30ish (I've never seen above 15, but you never know, e.g. Hank Aaron is aaronha01), I spin the random number generator again and see who pops up. I do that because I know big leaguers will be coming into my game via the default database. If I feel that a big leaguer needs replacing (missing neutralized stats/Negro Leaguers like Satchel Paige, Jackie Robinson etc that arrived in the big leagues at a later date than they would have had racism not been so rampant - I may do this for Japanese leaguers too because I don't like the fact that they show up so late in their careers - picture Ichiro! importing as an 18 year old - is 5,000 hits a possibility?), I will bring in his equivalent from the Spritze database and see if the Spritzeified version is a better option for my purposes.

I do this until I have as many non-MLBers as I'm looking for. I think for the inaugural draft I'll want 16 non-MLBers total and I want 8 of them to be Negro Leaguers, so once I have my 8 non-MLBers who aren't Negro Leaguers, I narrow my focus to Negro Leaguers, and I'll take any Negro Leaguer that's on the page of the number the random number generator lands on. They don't need to be uber-Negro Leaguers. In fact, it's better for my league's balance if there are some average Joe Negro Leaguers mixed in with the iconic ones like Cool Papa Bell, Buck Leonard, Oscar Charleston etc. If there's more than one on the page, I'll take the guy that's closest to the player the random number generator picked.

Kinda complicated I know, but it's how I keep the randomness factor going. For each amateur draft, I'll take 2 non-MLBers with one of them being a Negro Leaguer. At least I'll do that until there are 24 teams in 1969, then I'll bump the non-MLBers to three with at least one being a Negro Leaguer. Then by 1998 when there are 30 teams in the league, I'll bump it to four non-MLBers with at least two of them being Negro Leaguers.

The inaugural draft is the toughest for me because I like to go through every player and make sure his neutralized stats are up to snuff (i.e. no gap years, 200ish AB every year/40ish IP every year), and there are 704 freaking players to go through! Ack! Anywho, that's how I do this random thing. It takes quite a bit longer, but I make sure I've got players that are going to be at their best. I don't want the statue first basemen (players that import with zero neutralized fielding stats will become first basemen with zero ratings and therefore get stapled to the bench - Spritze usually gives guys like this some fielding numbers even if he has to pull them out of thin air or their minor league records), or guys that suddenly become useless bench players because of a gap year. That, I figure, is what the Spritze database is for. To make sure that every player that enters my game is usable to me. With two databases, there's a better chance of this happening for sure.

Last edited by actionjackson; 03-27-2017 at 12:00 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:22 PM   #120
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Thanks I will keep reading the above before I have the next draft to see if I want to make the selection somewhat random, thought it might seem like a lot of work to me,,,,
How is you addition coming? I have the same disease and really don't want to be cured!