Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - New to the Game?

OOTP 14 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the game, please come here!

Old 02-12-2014, 07:30 PM   #1
Sabres2000
All Star Reserve

Rookie questions

a) just watching the game online via youtube like the walk through... can u only have 1 scout or u can have more then 1 scout...
b) If your rebuilding teams when u do your draft can u sign players that u draft right away or do u let them develop where they are playing and can u track there stats over the season
c) In other sports like hockey and such can u trade players for draft picks or no?
d) My question is if you have a 40 player or draft a player and u want to have him play in say single A AA or AAA do u have to sign the prospect to your 40 and then send him down to those leagues or can u sign him to a minor league deal and then still own his rights
Sabres2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:55 PM   #2
Sabres2000
All Star Reserve

I just came across where u can expansion and being from Canada I wanna bring back the Montreal Expos... was wondering can u only do 2 team expansions because i don't know of any other teams out there since i only want to bring 1 team
Old 02-12-2014, 10:39 PM   #3
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres2000 View Post
I just came across where u can expansion and being from Canada I wanna bring back the Montreal Expos... was wondering can u only do 2 team expansions because i don't know of any other teams out there since i only want to bring 1 team
If you go to League Setup - Edit League structure you can add odd # of teams but they would not be considered expansion teams. You could also expand by 2 teams do the expansion draft then delete the 2nd team. Hit generate schedule when you are done or look for a schedule that has on add # of teams in GMO 's thread. You may not be able to have 31 teams. Not entirely sure. Never Tried. I have used 9 but that was an accurate 1871 schedule.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:54 PM   #4
Sabres2000
All Star Reserve

This is going to sound really stupid but i came across my farm teams aka development teams..

I understand the single a, AA and AAA but whats the short season A, and two rookie leagues and international complex?
Old 02-12-2014, 11:07 PM   #5
Sabres2000
All Star Reserve

also i set my priority as rebuild since i am a expansion team... anyone know what good scouting strategies that work well like % wise..
Old 02-12-2014, 11:10 PM   #6
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This is going to sound really stupid but i came across my farm teams aka development teams..

I understand the single a, AA and AAA but whats the short season A, and two rookie leagues and international complex?
This will tell ya about SSA better then i can.
Short season - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The 2 rookie leagues are for post draft and they play like 90 games max.
International complex is a place where you scout will find talent from whichever country you set it up for. Players will be 16-19. At age 20 they automatically are assigned to you lowest level. You can have 50 players max and out of 50 you might get one MLer out of that. I tend to cut 10-15 each year before they turn 20.

"Stay Strong"

Old 02-13-2014, 02:07 AM   #7
Sabres2000
All Star Reserve

I know theres the rookie draft and the rule 5 draft but i tried to look online and couldnt find anything how many rounds are the 2 drafts?
Old 02-13-2014, 02:41 AM   #8
Sabres2000
All Star Reserve

is there a way in the baseball news for the rookies in the upcoming draft to scout by their overall or potenial instead of going through all of the players or no?
Old 02-13-2014, 10:23 AM   #9
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I know theres the rookie draft and the rule 5 draft but i tried to look online and couldnt find anything how many rounds are the 2 drafts?
2013 Ammy was 40 rounds. Rule V is as few as 2-3, I believe if every team skips a pick that round then the Rule V is over.
Go to the draft pool and choose from the drop down menu on the left above the players. i will try to make a screenshot soon. For some reason it isn't working right now.

"Stay Strong"

Old 02-13-2014, 01:31 PM   #10
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Cleaning up some loose ends here that my buddy The Game did not address, to the best of my ability.
Quote:
a) just watching the game online via youtube like the walk through... can u only have 1 scout or u can have more then 1 scout...
b) If your rebuilding teams when u do your draft can u sign players that u draft right away or do u let them develop where they are playing and can u track there stats over the season
c) In other sports like hockey and such can u trade players for draft picks or no?
d) My question is if you have a 40 player or draft a player and u want to have him play in say single A AA or AAA do u have to sign the prospect to your 40 and then send him down to those leagues or can u sign him to a minor league deal and then still own his rights
Only one scout.
You have a time limit to sign draftees (if you choose that option in your game settings, that is). I don't think they develop unless you or somebody else signs them.
Yes, you can trade for draft picks but that is another option in game setup.
You can have minor league players who are not on your 40-man secondary roster. They are not protected from the Rule 5 Draft, however, and other rules apply concerning putting them on the 40-man and taking them off.
Quote:
I think you are limited by scheduling concerns to have a balanced conference and division format so you may be required to expand at a rate of two teams at a time.
Quote:

The Game explained this so I will just add my advice: The most amount of minor league levels I EVER have is four: AAA, AA, A, and Rookie. The rest are just unnecessary complications, in my opinion.
Quote:
also i set my priority as rebuild since i am a expansion team... anyone know what good scouting strategies that work well like % wise..
You look for young prospects when rebuilding rather than trading for or hiring veterans. By the way, if you are actively managing a team as GM, that setting is superfluous.
Quote:
The rookie draft is yet another setting in game setup options. You need to set it to have a number of rounds equal to the number of minor league levels you have times 5 (common wisdom around here). So, with four minor league levels, I have 20 rounds in my amateur draft. The Rule 5 Draft is automatic as to rounds, AFAIK.
Quote:
is there a way in the baseball news for the rookies in the upcoming draft to scout by their overall or potenial instead of going through all of the players or no?
I don't think so but you can scout interesting prospects individually.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:34 PM   #11
Sabres2000
All Star Reserve

thanks guys u guys are awesome thanks for answering my rookie questions
Old 02-13-2014, 07:37 PM   #12
Sabres2000
All Star Reserve

my other question is for the scouting budget... if im say more of a rebuilding team should i put my biudget into international scouting and amateur scouting and minor league scouting then major league scouting?
Old 02-13-2014, 08:13 PM   #13
Sabres2000
All Star Reserve

also when i go to hire staff for my development clubs aka AAA AA etc is there a way i can sign them for those clubs without moving my staff down to those leagues and then only able to sign 4 people at a time and moving them around..
Old 02-13-2014, 09:02 PM   #14
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
my other question is for the scouting budget... if im say more of a rebuilding team should i put my biudget into international scouting and amateur scouting and minor league scouting then major league scouting?
Someone else will have to answer this for you. My EBL vs MLB is more of a fictional historical replay so i dont pay attention to scouting budgets. I am leaning to yes.

You can offer coaches a spot at whichever level you need them at. The lower the level typically the less they will ask for. Also the lower the level the less they should make.

"Stay Strong"

Old 02-13-2014, 09:24 PM   #15
Sabres2000
All Star Reserve

my hopefully last question hopefully lol is i am doing a expansion team if i take 40 players = 40 rounds in the expansion draft is it possible to sign 60 players between march 31st and april 3rd to fill my AAA, AA and A rosters since they begin on april 4th... just trying to think realistically how many players would be taken in a expansion draft
Old 02-13-2014, 09:40 PM   #16
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
my hopefully last question hopefully lol is i am doing a expansion team if i take 40 players = 40 rounds in the expansion draft is it possible to sign 60 players between march 31st and april 3rd to fill my AAA, AA and A rosters since they begin on april 4th... just trying to think realistically how many players would be taken in a expansion draft
The game will let you know when you set the limits. It is in black lettering on that protection screen. 35 drafted should be good.. How many FA are in the league right now? I have over 1800 when the season ends and it gets down to around 900 by OD.

"Stay Strong"

Old 02-13-2014, 09:52 PM   #17
Sabres2000
All Star Reserve

when it comes to hiring people for your development clubs... i know hitting and pitching u look for the teaching pitching attribute but what do u look for when u hire a bench coach... I know manager is the managing ratings but not sure when it comes to bench coach..
Old 02-13-2014, 10:04 PM   #18
Sabres2000
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
The game will let you know when you set the limits. It is in black lettering on that protection screen. 35 drafted should be good.. How many FA are in the league right now? I have over 1800 when the season ends and it gets down to around 900 by OD.
right now i have 636 free agents... but the question is will the game allow u to sign like 60-70 players to minor league deals soon as the game starts tho..
Old 02-14-2014, 02:01 AM   #19
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
right now i have 636 free agents... but the question is will the game allow u to sign like 60-70 players to minor league deals soon as the game starts tho..
Yes. Just as long as you have 11 players by that leagues OD. If you do not have enough Free Agents you can always turn on Ghost Players.

As far as BC i try to find a guy that can handle rookies and veterans well and is strong in both pitching and hitting. I like former MGR's as my BC even if i have to overpay for them. My BC sometimes makes more then my MGR's.
For a fictional league I have Ozzie Guillen as my MGR and Tony Larussa as my BC. Ozzie makes 1.3 TLR makes 4.3

"Stay Strong"

Old 02-14-2014, 02:13 PM   #20
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Cherry-picking the leftovers from The Game's responses:
Quote:
I think that, if you are rebuilding, your primary interest is in new players. That does not mean you ignore major leaguers but they are established already; you can usually tell the good ones by their current and recent stats. Same really for the minor leaguers. So, if I were rebuilding (especially with a limited budget) and I had to choose, I would heavy up on the international and amateur scouting. Just remember to revisit this allocation once you are done "rebuilding." Now, on a personal level, I can tell you that I have my own preferences that stay the same over time despite whether I am on the top or on the bottom of the standings. I tend to do what I just recommended all the time, frankly.
Quote:
also when i go to hire staff for my development clubs aka AAA AA etc is there a way i can sign them for those clubs without moving my staff down to those leagues and then only able to sign 4 people at a time and moving them around..
To add a bit to what The Game said, it was announced that OOTPB 15 will have more flexibility in this aspect in that you won't need to have positions open prior to recruiting better coaches. Presumably, you will be able to hire and fire rather than fire and hire.
Quote:
when it comes to hiring people for your development clubs... i know hitting and pitching u look for the teaching pitching attribute but what do u look for when u hire a bench coach... I know manager is the managing ratings but not sure when it comes to bench coach..
Look at it this way. You don't get bench coaches in the minor leagues so teaching is most probably not a highly important rating for them. Below is a segment from the online manual that describes managers and bench coaches. It seems to me that a bench coach supplements the manager's traits and that, on the major league level, HANDLE VETERANS and HANDLE PLAYERS would be the very least that an acceptable coach or manager should have good ratings for. However, I am sure that the HANDLE ROOKIES and the TEACH ratings also have some effects, so look for a bench coach that has blue and green numbers in EVERY category! (Good luck with that. )
Attached Images

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 02-14-2014 at 02:14 PM.
Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote