Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - New to the Game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the game, please come here!

Old 01-03-2014, 11:01 AM   #1
stlfan20
Bat Boy

New user question about 13 vs 14 version

Totally new to this but Ive heard good things about your product.

My question is:

What is the difference if I go ahead and order the 13 version as opposed to waiting for the 14 version? How much will player ratings etc change?

Also if I do go ahead and order 13 now, can you upgrade once 14 comes out? How much would that cost?

Any help/tips is appreciated.

Thanks,
Nate
stlfan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:19 AM   #2
Snarf054
Minors (Double A)

The current version which is OOTP14 starts with the rosters and stats for all MLB players on opening day 2013. OOTP15 when it comes out will have the rosters and stats for all players starting on opening day 2104. How big a difference that makes depends on the individual player. The most glaring example I can think of would be Albert Puhols. I am sure he is going to take a pretty big ratings hit next version. Of course all your FA will be where they belong in the new version Canoe will be in Seattle, Choo in Texas ect.

OOTP14 will cost you 19.99 OOTP15 will be around 40. My advice is buy OOTP14 now and get a feel for the game and then decide on whether you want to update to the next version when it comes out depending on the new features and how much they appeal to you. That is what I am going to do. Will also depend on whether my online league decides to change versions. Since they just went to OOTP14 right before I joined last month I doubt they do but I am considering joining at least one more sometime soon.
Snarf054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:52 AM   #3
pjh5165
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarf054 View Post
The current version which is OOTP14 starts with the rosters and stats for all MLB players on opening day 2013. OOTP15 when it comes out will have the rosters and stats for all players starting on opening day 2104. How big a difference that makes depends on the individual player. The most glaring example I can think of would be Albert Puhols. I am sure he is going to take a pretty big ratings hit next version. Of course all your FA will be where they belong in the new version Canoe will be in Seattle, Choo in Texas ect.

OOTP14 will cost you 19.99 OOTP15 will be around 40. My advice is buy OOTP14 now and get a feel for the game and then decide on whether you want to update to the next version when it comes out depending on the new features and how much they appeal to you. That is what I am going to do. Will also depend on whether my online league decides to change versions. Since they just went to OOTP14 right before I joined last month I doubt they do but I am considering joining at least one more sometime soon.
Hey Nate,

I agree with Snarf. You should pick up 14 at the discounted rate if you can and give it a shot. Mess around with a few things, get a feel for the game, and overall just learn what OOTP is all about. That way, if you like it you'll immediately be hooked and buy 15 and if not, you only spent $20 to find out. Best of luck.
pjh5165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:02 PM   #4
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

The important things about upgrading are: (1) support the franchise, (2) get updated rosters and ratings for current MLB, and (3) new features.

Why not get a test drive for a big discount, and then decide if the upgrade will be worth the price for you? If not, you still have a very good and stable game for fictional and historical play.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:18 PM   #5
stlfan20
Bat Boy

Thx guys! One other question, I was reading up more on the game and I have this to ask

It states you can do just the GM's job or also "manage" each game where you decide whether you want to pitch around a guy, etc etc.

If you just choose the role of GM and let the computer do the "in game managing", how realistic is the computer?

For example:

If you are up 2-1 in the 7th, is the computer going to bring in your 4th/5th best reliever instead of your setup guy or someone equivalent?

If you are down 2-1 and have two men on base but your pitcher is up to bat (who is also pitching a gem) are they going to let him hit or do would they choose to pinch hit the majority of the time?
Old 01-03-2014, 12:27 PM   #6
le receveur
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlfan20 View Post
Thx guys! One other question, I was reading up more on the game and I have this to ask

It states you can do just the GM's job or also "manage" each game where you decide whether you want to pitch around a guy, etc etc.

If you just choose the role of GM and let the computer do the "in game managing", how realistic is the computer?

For example:

If you are up 2-1 in the 7th, is the computer going to bring in your 4th/5th best reliever instead of your setup guy or someone equivalent?

If you are down 2-1 and have two men on base but your pitcher is up to bat (who is also pitching a gem) are they going to let him hit or do would they choose to pinch hit the majority of the time?
these are actually things you control in your setting. You can have your coach have a quick hook or not. You can have frequent pinch hit or not.

the only thing you cannot control, is OOTP is old school baseball, and your best reliever will not be brought in, with the game on the line in the 7th... he will be saved later... just like RL (sorry i hate "proven closer" approach)
le receveur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:32 PM   #7
stlfan20
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by le receveur View Post
these are actually things you control in your setting. You can have your coach have a quick hook or not. You can have frequent pinch hit or not.

the only thing you cannot control, is OOTP is old school baseball, and your best reliever will not be brought in, with the game on the line in the 7th... he will be saved later... just like RL (sorry i hate "proven closer" approach)
O no Im fine with the closer being brought in, I didnt expect that. Im a Cards fan so I will use them as an example

If im up 3-1 in the 7th and say they have a guy on base...Assuming Salas was still with the Cardinals, would the manager bring him in in that situation instead of a guy like Siegrist, Maness, or C. Martinez.

Likewise, in a 10-1 game, Rosenthal isnt going to be brought in in the 9th inning to "close" it out is he?
Old 01-03-2014, 01:04 PM   #8
pjh5165
Major Leagues

Quote:
O no Im fine with the closer being brought in, I didnt expect that. Im a Cards fan so I will use them as an example

If im up 3-1 in the 7th and say they have a guy on base...Assuming Salas was still with the Cardinals, would the manager bring him in in that situation instead of a guy like Siegrist, Maness, or C. Martinez.

Likewise, in a 10-1 game, Rosenthal isnt going to be brought in in the 9th inning to "close" it out is he?
You assign bullpen roles for relievers. You can designate guys as the closer, set-up, middle relief, and mop up. I don't sim so I'm not exactly sure how well the AI managers use them like you intend, but I have not heard any major complaints.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:13 PM   #9
le receveur
All Star Starter

Quote:

you will be able to set it up this way. still don't know why you wouldn't bring your best reliever then and save him in case you still have the lead in the 9th, but this is just me... (actually OOTP is better than most ML managers and will use the Proven Closer in the 9th of a tie game)
Old 01-03-2014, 01:17 PM   #10
le receveur
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjh5165 View Post
You assign bullpen roles for relievers. You can designate guys as the closer, set-up, middle relief, and mop up. I don't sim so I'm not exactly sure how well the AI managers use them like you intend, but I have not heard any major complaints.
i sim.. once i tweeked the pull trigger for start i have been happy with the AI's bullpen management. but i usually have 3 guys who would qualify as closer under OOTP view in my bullpen :-).... (i do get a nasty email once in a while from one of them, that they are upset at their role)... so i once in a while alternate them....

OP- even if you let AI decide who has what role, it does a good job... Note that i am not sure about pinch hitting, i play with DH in all leagues.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:50 PM   #11
pjh5165
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by le receveur View Post
OP- even if you let AI decide who has what role, it does a good job... Note that i am not sure about pinch hitting, i play with DH in all leagues.
The AI managers I play against are pretty good with pinch hitters. They take advantage of matchups and will sometimes even announce a lefty pinch hitter, wait for the subsequent pitching change to a lefty, and then pinch hit for the pinch hitter. All pretty realistic.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:14 PM   #12
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I think the game is fine, possibly excellent, but fair warning; if you want to replicate Mike Matheny and his management style, player use and so on, it will not happen "just like Mike". The AI uses algorithms based on player ratings and in-game situations. Neither of these will ever duplicate real life situations from the past. I don't think Mike Matheny or any other RL manager would do the same thing every time either. Player ratings are dynamic and injuries and fatigue also contribute so up 3-1 in the 7th can be as different as night and day, each time it happens.

As long as you understand that the AI does not have recall capability nor hunches or feelings or even future guesswork about certain players and game situations you will be fine.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:33 PM   #13
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Totally new to this but Ive heard good things about your product.

My question is:

What is the difference if I go ahead and order the 13 version as opposed to waiting for the 14 version? How much will player ratings etc change?

Also if I do go ahead and order 13 now, can you upgrade once 14 comes out? How much would that cost?

Any help/tips is appreciated.

Thanks,
Nate
The ratings and rosters will change a LOT between 14 and 15 (not 13 and 14, 14 is the current version), even more than I can mention right now.

There isn't any special price for upgrading so when OOTP15 comes out you'll have to pay the full price which is $40, I believe, whether you bought 14 or not. There is usually a small discount for those who pre-order.

Even so I'd highly recommend picking up 14 now and getting a feel for the game even if you plan to buy 15 when it comes out. It's totally worth it!
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:40 PM   #14
stlfan20
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasberger View Post
The ratings and rosters will change a LOT between 14 and 15 (not 13 and 14, 14 is the current version), even more than I can mention right now.

There isn't any special price for upgrading so when OOTP15 comes out you'll have to pay the full price which is $40, I believe, whether you bought 14 or not. There is usually a small discount for those who pre-order.

Even so I'd highly recommend picking up 14 now and getting a feel for the game even if you plan to buy 15 when it comes out. It's totally worth it!
I think ill prob pick up 14 to see what its all about and if i have the patience for it and actually stick with it
Old 01-03-2014, 08:06 PM   #15
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think ill prob pick up 14 to see what its all about and if i have the patience for it and actually stick with it
OOTP can be a bit overwhelming even for a hardcore fan, at first. Start a league that you know like the 2013 MLB quickstart and let the AI handle your minor leagues perhaps. There are many tutorial videos on youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4D...1cODH0n_5r7aMw
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote