Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - New to the Game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the game, please come here!

Old 12-16-2013, 04:53 PM   #1
cts47
Minors (Rookie Ball)

different game modes

whats the difference between gm mode and commish mode??thx
cts47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 04:59 PM   #2
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

As GM, you control 1 team.

As Commish, you control the league.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:52 PM   #3
skalepp
Minors (Double A)

You do have the ability to play as both. So you can be the GM and also have control over Commissioner.
skalepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 12:01 AM   #4
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

In GM mode, you control only your team. Commish mode lets you control more of the league. But the two aren't mutually exclusive. As skalepp says, you can be a GM and still be a commissioner. If the Commish Mode box is checked, you cannot be fired, can take over any team in the league at any point, force roster moves (free agent signings and trades), and can access the Editor to change a player's name, ratings, etc. But you'll still be able to have a job as GM of a specific team.

Personally, I always have Commish Mode checked, because I like to be able to "veto" a trade that doesn't make sense (the AI will make some odd moves occasionally), and just to be able to instantly make little tweaks if the situation arises - odd nicknames, etc.

Also, as an fyi, you always have access to League Setup even if you're not commissioner.

Last edited by Fyrestorm3; 12-18-2013 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Because Bluenoser decrees it.
Fyrestorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:17 AM   #5
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm3 View Post
True, but not quite... The two aren't mutually exclusive. As skalepp says, you can be a GM and still be a commissioner. If the Commish Mode box is checked, you cannot be fired, can take over any team in the league at any point, force roster moves (free agent signings and trades), and can access the Editor to change a player's name, ratings, etc. But you'll still be able to have a job as GM of a specific team.

Personally, I always have Commish Mode checked, because I like to be able to "veto" a trade that doesn't make sense (the AI will make some odd moves occasionally), and just to be able to instantly make little tweaks if the situation arises - odd nicknames, etc.

Also, as an fyi, you always have access to League Setup even if you're not commissioner.
Sorry, but my reply is true, period!

If you play as GM you control one team.

If you play as Commish, you control the league.

Which part isn't clear for you?

Nobody asked or said anything about combined roles. It was a very simple question, with a very simple answer.

I can post a 12 paragraph reply explaining all the intricacies of what each role encompasses, but he didn't ask that. I can also nitpick your response as you did mine, but I'm not interested in that either. If you wish to expand upon my answers to someone's question, feel free to do so, but don't do it at the expense of trying to make me look like I'm wrong when I'm not.

Last edited by Bluenoser; 12-17-2013 at 08:53 AM.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:32 AM   #6
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post

Nobody asked or said anything about combined roles. It was a very simple question, with a very simple answer.

I can post a 12 paragraph reply explaining all the intricacies of what each role encompasses, but he didn't ask that. I can also nitpick your response as you did mine, but I'm not interested in that either. If you wish to expand upon my answers to someone's question, feel free to do so, but don't do it at the expense of trying to make me look like I'm wrong when I'm not.
Wow. Calm the heck down, I wasn't nitpicking or attacking you. I was expounding on what you said, because you made it sound like they were mutually exclusive - that you couldn't control the league if you were GM, and that you couldn't control a team if you were Commish. Your answer was correct; I was clarifying. Cool your jets, I said right in the first sentence that you were right.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:41 AM   #7
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Wow. Calm the heck down, I wasn't nitpicking or attacking you. I was expounding on what you said, because you made it sound like they were mutually exclusive - that you couldn't control the league if you were GM, and that you couldn't control a team if you were Commish. Your answer was correct; I was clarifying. Cool your jets, I said right in the first sentence that you were right.
"I made it sound like they were mutually inclusive"??? - just shake my head at that comment.

What I said was true and to the point, plain and simple.

Learn to read and comprehend what you're reading. If you decided to read more into something than what was written, that's on you, not me. Don't make it out like I was saying something that I didn't just because your comprehension skills are lacking.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:56 AM   #8
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
As GM, you control 1 team.

As Commish, you control the league.
Not true Blue. When In Commish mode you can edit players, parks, certain other features. GM Mode your MGR gets credit for MGR of The Year vs the GM. I play in Commish mode since I edit players every year and I change parks often. There are certain things you can not do if you dont play in Commish mode. To my knowledge you can not manage the ASG even if your team played in the World Series the year before without being in Commish Mode. (Well at least I cant figure it out) Blue cant you set all teams to be control by human even while not in commish mode? Also I dont control all teams, I control the White Sox currently other teams still make their trades FA Signings etc.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:00 AM   #9
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
True, but not quite... The two aren't mutually exclusive. As skalepp says, you can be a GM and still be a commissioner. If the Commish Mode box is checked, you cannot be fired,

That 1st part is not true Frye. If you have Can Not Be Fired unchecked you can and will be fired. You can also have Can Not Be Fired checked but not play as Commish. I wish there was a simple veto trade button to reverse a trade, you must reverse all trades manually and Force them.

"Stay Strong"

Old 12-18-2013, 09:04 AM   #10
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Your statement made it sound like while Playing in Commish mode, you are responsible for making moves, signings/releases, demotions/promotions for all teams yourself as you would when you control just one team that is not the case unless you want it to be the case. And you can control all teams while not in Commish mode.
What you said above reminded me of this:
Obi-Wan: "So what I told you was true, from a certain point of view." Luke: "A certain point of view?" Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." ―The spirit of Obi-Wan Kenobi and Luke Skywalker, on Dagobah[src]

"Stay Strong"

Last edited by The Game; 12-18-2013 at 09:07 AM.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:15 AM   #11
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Maybe I am wrong Frye. I always play all my leagues in Commish, GM, Can not be fired for so long that maybe I am wrong that you can be fired even while playing as commish, Maybe the leagues where I have been fired I was not in Commish mode at the time. For my History of Baseball I have been the mgr of Chicago Cubs, White Sox, Browns and Giants, through 1935.The only time I go into Commish mode is when the draft comes out each year and every January 1st to edit new parks.
Gonna test it but what you said is in accordance with the Manual.

OTP has an additional option for managers called Commissioner Mode. A commissioner is the absolute ruler of a baseball universe. A commissioner can control every aspect of a league, including editing players, forcing trades, and changing the league configuration. A commissioner can temporarily take control over any team in the league, or he can sign up as the full-time manager of a team. In online leagues, the commissioner is the only one who is able to advance the game date and auto-play games.

You can be both a commissioner and a manager simultaneously. When Commissioner Mode is enabled, you cannot be fired. Some solo players prefer to manage a single team with Commissioner Mode turned on, so that they have quick access to all editing capability. Other solo players prefer to play with Commissioner Mode turned off, and only enable it if there is some specific need to do so.

Commissioners have access to a wide range of features that are described in more detail in the Tools, Functions, and Editors section of the manual.

Most commissioner functions are located on the appropriate OOTP screens - they are simply not visible if you are not a commissioner.

Out of the Park Baseball Manual

Out of the Park Baseball Manual

"Stay Strong"

Old 12-18-2013, 09:17 AM   #12
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

The heck with it - why try to answer someone's questions when your answers are going to be nit picked to pieces by people who can't comprehend simple English.

You guys want to put a bunch of words into what I wrote, go right ahead. Add all the jibberish you like, do it until your face turns blue for all I care.

I will no longer waste my time trying to help newbies. It's an effort in futility.

My reply "made it sound like" - what a statement. Take a look at your Star Wars quote - because it applies directly to you. Reading into something what you want to read into it. All the garbage you posted IS NOT in my reply, so stop trying to make out like it is.

Last edited by Bluenoser; 12-18-2013 at 09:23 AM.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:48 AM   #13
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The heck with it - why try to answer someone's questions when your answers are going to be nit picked to pieces by people who can't comprehend simple English.

You guys want to put a bunch of words into what I wrote, go right ahead. Add all the jibberish you like, do it until your face turns blue for all I care.

I will no longer waste my time trying to help newbies. It's an effort in futility.

My reply "made it sound like" - what a statement. Take a look at your Star Wars quote - because it applies directly to you. Reading into something what you want to read into it. All the garbage you posted IS NOT in my reply, so stop trying to make out like it is.
Blu bud chill. Your response to the OP was bland and left out many key features. Frye and I expanded on what you left out.

"Stay Strong"

Old 12-18-2013, 09:59 AM   #14
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

I don't care what either of you "think my answer sounded like." Your inability to comprehend what I wrote is not an excuse to gang bang me.

If you feel my answer isn't adequate, then post your own answer to the OP.

That would of been the easy thing to do. Instead, you decided to jump me because I gave a simple clear answer that doesn't "sound" like what you think it should.

Last edited by Bluenoser; 12-18-2013 at 10:01 AM.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:32 AM   #15
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't care what either of you "think my answer sounded like." Your inability to comprehend what I wrote is not an excuse to gang bang me.

That would of been the easy thing to do. Instead, you decided to jump me because I gave a simple clear answer that doesn't "sound" like what you think it should.
Well you gave partially false information. If I was new to the game and you say as Commish you control the whole league, I would think "Man I dont want to ever be Commish, I dont want to have to control every single team and every move they do." You could have elaborated on what you said. Your statement of As Commish you control the whole league, is not entirely true. You do not control every team unless you select Set all team to be controlled by GM.

"Stay Strong"

Old 12-18-2013, 11:46 AM   #16
The Game
Hall Of Famer

If Commish mode is checked but Can Not Be Fired is unchecked you can be fired.
Attached Images
Image Image Image 

"Stay Strong"

Last edited by The Game; 12-18-2013 at 11:47 AM.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:19 PM   #17
le receveur
All Star Starter

Quote:

as a somewhat Newbie, who has appreciated the help, i hope you will reconsider.
le receveur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:25 PM   #18
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
Well you gave partially false information. If I was new to the game and you say as Commish you control the whole league, I would think "Man I dont want to ever be Commish, I dont want to have to control every single team and every move they do." You could have elaborated on what you said. Your statement of As Commish you control the whole league, is not entirely true. You do not control every team unless you select Set all team to be controlled by GM.
Just don't get it do you? Stop twisting what I said.

As Commish you control the league. This is a true statement and a fact. I did not say as Commish you control every team. That's what you felt like reading into it because of your inability to comprehend what was written.

Read the difference - League is one thing, Team is another.

Do you get it yet? Is it starting to sink in yet that when I say league I mean league, and not all teams? There's a difference between those two, a difference I won't bother trying to explain since you'll only read what you want into it anyway.

Now stop twisting my words and post your own reply to the OP's question if you don't like what you "think I said" or what you "think it sounds like I said".

Last edited by Bluenoser; 12-18-2013 at 05:46 PM.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:58 PM   #19
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If Commish mode is checked but Can Not Be Fired is unchecked you can be fired.
Ah, good to know. Always learning something about this game.

Blue, my god, calm down. No one is arguing with you. What you said was entirely true. My first post in this thread started with the phrase, "True, but not quite." Perhaps it would have been more accurate to have put "True, but let me explain further." Because that's all I was doing.

I'm trying to help the newbies just as much as you are; what is wrong with giving more detailed information, even if it isn't 100% relevant to the exact wording of the question being asked? Your answer was fine; mine expanded on it for the benefit of the OP, because there's a chance that what you said could have been taken a different way from how you meant it. That's not a slight against you. I honestly do not understand what I did that was so egregious that you've resorted to insulting my intelligence and reading comprehension.

EDIT: Also,

Quote:
I DID. I quoted yours because I was expounding on what you said. I was effectively using your post as the first line of mine.

EDIT2:

Quote:
I wish there was a simple veto trade button to reverse a trade, you must reverse all trades manually and Force them.
Yeah, that's what I meant by "veto". I, too, wish there was a simple veto button; I've asked for it in the Suggestions forum before.

Last edited by Fyrestorm3; 12-18-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Old 12-18-2013, 03:21 PM   #20
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Blue, look back at my first post in the thread. I have edited it to remove your quote. It is now my own separate answer to the OP. Are we happy now? Can we all move on from this ridiculous argument?