Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - New to the Game?

OOTP 14 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the game, please come here!

Old 11-05-2013, 03:41 PM   #1
curtalva
Bat Boy

Totallly NEW to OOTP

I am totally NEW to OOTP and am still taking it all in. I have played APBA, Srat, and HMB previously. The OOTP reviews seem to be overwhelmingly supportive and I am very intrigued yet I am still trying to to grasp the basic concept of how this game works. Where to start?

- Is this game good for simulating regular MLB teams?
- What teams come with the current OOTP14 purchase?
- Are 2013 Rookies like Puig included in OOTP14 (and is he represented by his 2013 stats)?
- How long does it take to play a game?
- Are the pictures of players and ball parks included?

I will continue to research the endless forums but would appreciate a high-level summary of OOTP.

Regards,
Curt
curtalva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:11 PM   #2
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

1. Yes
2. All MLB, minors, and you can add Japan plus lots of other leagues. You can also create totally fictional worlds, or play Baseball from 1867 to the present with real players/teams, or fictional.
3. Not sure, only play fictional
4. Depends - you can quick sim (takes about 2 secs) or you can play the game out pitch by pitch. How long it takes is up to you. If you like to micro-manage on field stuff, you can play the entire game out. How long does the avg real game take?
5. Yes - available via in game download/install.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:18 PM   #3
TribeFanInNC
Hall Of Famer

Welcome. Stick with the game through the learning curve. You'll be glad you did.

I usually recommend just starting a standard MLB league and playing through a few seasons with current players just to get a feel of the game without the added stress of learning all the players/ratings/etc... Just pick your favorite team and see what happens. Don't get bogged down in the setup at first. Eventually, you can learn things you don't like and fiddle with the setup from there. Once you get your feet wet, then branch out to other things like fictional or historical play, custom logos, etc...

You can get pics, ballparks, etc... Search for All-in-One mod, which you can download in-game (I think still...I actually haven't done it in a while).
TribeFanInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:35 PM   #4
curtalva
Bat Boy

So the games can be played out instantly eh? So is the focus more on the ownership and management of a baseball team?

I guess what I am coming to understand is that you establish your team, try to get create the best lineup (for each game by game), then run the game and get the game results pretty much instantaneously? Then you make any changes in the line-up and run the simulation for the next game? Am I on track?

So I'm getting the picture that this is a pretty fast-moving game in that you could play a bunch of games really fast?

And I presume that if you are done playing a certain "game" (i.e. standard MLB) you can start another "game" (i.e. a fictional league game).

And you can take a standard MLB 'game' into the future (i.e. 2014 season, 2015 season) and the players abilities are re-rated as time passes by? So if I am playing with a 43 yo Mario Rivera I will see his abilities slowly erode during the season and the following season/s?
Old 11-05-2013, 05:46 PM   #5
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtalva View Post
So the games can be played out instantly eh? YES So is the focus more on the ownership and management of a baseball team? IF that is what you want, then YES.

I guess what I am coming to understand is that you establish your team, try to get create the best lineup (for each game by game), then run the game and get the game results pretty much instantaneously? Then you make any changes in the line-up and run the simulation for the next game? Am I on track? YES.

So I'm getting the picture that this is a pretty fast-moving game in that you could play a bunch of games really fast? YES, but it doesn't have to be.

And I presume that if you are done playing a certain "game" (i.e. standard MLB) you can start another "game" (i.e. a fictional league game). YES or you can have both games saved in progress and play the one you want.

And you can take a standard MLB 'game' into the future (i.e. 2014 season, 2015 season) and the players abilities are re-rated as time passes by? YES. So if I am playing with a 43 yo Mario Rivera I will see his abilities slowly erode during the season and the following season/s? YES.
Note: As you take a MLB game into the future, it will eventually become fictional.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:53 PM   #6
eriqjaffe
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
- Is this game good for simulating regular MLB teams?
- What teams come with the current OOTP14 purchase?
- Are 2013 Rookies like Puig included in OOTP14 (and is he represented by his 2013 stats)?
- How long does it take to play a game?
- Are the pictures of players and ball parks included?
1) Yes, although if you start with the default rosters, players may or may not play as you expect due to the nature of OOTP's player development engine.

2) The game ships with MLB rosters as of Opening Day 2013.

3) See #2. The rosters are as of Opening Day 2013. I think the 2013 draft class is based on the real draft, but I don't really recall. Players are all rated by their performance up through 2012, so Puig may not be quite the dynamo he is IRL. That being said, Puig is in the game as a very highly rated prospect.

4) It depends on if you play pitch-by-pitch or not. I don't play pitch-by-pitch, and the games take 15-20 minutes or so. That will depend a bit on your PC set up, as well as how the games themselves play out. Pitch-by-pitch will take longer, but I couldn't say how much longer.

5) Due to licensing issues, they are not included. However, community-created content is available for download in-game through Add-On Central, as well as in the Mods forum.

Last edited by eriqjaffe; 11-05-2013 at 05:55 PM.
eriqjaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:56 PM   #7
TribeFanInNC
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So I'm getting the picture that this is a pretty fast-moving game in that you could play a bunch of games really fast?
There are plenty of people that play out each game, so it doesn't have to be fast moving. And you can control how fast it goes. You can play one game and have it take an hour like Strat-o-Matic if you have the time and want to see every pitch or every throw to first.
TribeFanInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:11 PM   #8
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So the games can be played out instantly eh? So is the focus more on the ownership and management of a baseball team?
That is entirely up to you. That's the beauty of OOTP, you can play it your way.

Want to manage every game, control all the moves? You can do that.

Just want to be a GM, sign players, draft players, look after a few other things and let your manager manage? You can do that.

Just want to be Commish and don't manage any team at all? You can do that too.

Quote:
I guess what I am coming to understand is that you establish your team, try to get create the best lineup (for each game by game), then run the game and get the game results pretty much instantaneously? Then you make any changes in the line-up and run the simulation for the next game? Am I on track?
Yes, you can do it that way if you wish.

Quote:
Yes. I've simmed 10, 20, 30, even 50 and a 100 seasons with one click. Depending on your computer, that can happen pretty fast. I have a fairly new hi end machine. I can burn off 30 seasons in a 16 team league with 3 levels of minors in about 30 minutes.

Quote:
And I presume that if you are done playing a certain "game" (i.e. standard MLB) you can start another "game" (i.e. a fictional league game).
There is no limit to the amount of leagues you can have. Currently, I have 3 different leagues on the go, all their own entity (separate leagues).

Quote:
And you can take a standard MLB 'game' into the future (i.e. 2014 season, 2015 season) and the players abilities are re-rated as time passes by? So if I am playing with a 43 yo Mario Rivera I will see his abilities slowly erode during the season and the following season/s?
Yes, players develop and regress, just like irl. Not all 1st rnd picks make it to the show. Sometimes you get a Piazza, might be the last player drafted and he turns out to be a stud. Just like real life.

If you like baseball even a little bit, I can assure you that you're going to have the time of your life playing OOTP.

Last edited by Bluenoser; 11-05-2013 at 07:13 PM.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:13 PM   #9
curtalva
Bat Boy

Thank you all for your responses. It has helped me immensely. I think I'm going to take the plunge and check it out. I'll probably have more questions on the other side after I purchase and have a look around.

Thanks again!!
Old 11-05-2013, 09:33 PM   #10
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Thank you all for your responses. It has helped me immensely. I think I'm going to take the plunge and check it out. I'll probably have more questions on the other side after I purchase and have a look around.

Thanks again!!
You will not regret it, this is an excellent baseball sim.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:03 PM   #11
tejdog1
All Star Starter

Well worth the "omg this is overwhelming wtf do all these features DO?" phase.
How I turn my head and lose it all

And it's unnerving
How just one move puts me by myself
There you go just trusting someone else
Now I know I put us both through hell

~Matchbox 20, "Leave"

Everyone knows it's spelled "TRAID", not trade
tejdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 03:41 PM   #12
Dr Pepper
Banned

Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Is there some way to have real player pictures in the game? And real ball parks? I'm also thinking about buying the game.
Dr Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 03:47 PM   #13
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Pepper View Post
Is there some way to have real player pictures in the game? And real ball parks? I'm also thinking about buying the game.
Yes, there is a built in download centre in the game that you can download the All-in-one MOD. It has logos, uni's, pictures, etc etc
Old 11-16-2013, 04:02 PM   #14
Dr Pepper
Banned

That's good. I've been playing Baseball Mogul off and on for a few years but this looks better. Is there a demo somewhere? I haven't been able to find one.
Dr Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 04:41 PM   #15
txranger
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Pepper View Post
That's good. I've been playing Baseball Mogul off and on for a few years but this looks better. Is there a demo somewhere? I haven't been able to find one.

Try this link and look down near the bottom of the page for Demo and previous version downloads...

Out of the Park Baseball

txranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:25 AM   #16
Philo Vance
Banned

'
Philo Vance is offline   Reply With Quote