Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - New to the Game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the game, please come here!

Old 10-25-2013, 05:20 PM   #1
Jays_Fan
Bat Boy

Converting an MR to an SP

Hey Folks.

I have a quick question I'm hoping you can help with.

I'd like to explore the idea of converting a MR to an SP

I've heard that what matters is how high their stamina is (ideally 10 or greater) and that they have at least 3 decent pitches.

I have one reliever in my fictional league I'd like to try and convert. He has a stamina of 13 and the following:

Fastball = 14
Curveball= 15
Changeup = 3/4

He's a 4 Star overall player but when I switch him to a Starter, he drops to half a star, but his potential stays the same.

Can this be done as I'd really like to slot this guy in as a bottom of the rotation starter on my team (which is lowsy)

Thanks Folks.
Jays_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:32 PM   #2
mikezone13
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays_Fan View Post
Hey Folks.

I've heard that what matters is how high their stamina is (ideally 10 or greater) and that they have at least 3 decent pitches.

I have one reliever in my fictional league I'd like to try and convert. He has a stamina of 13 and the following:

Fastball = 14
Curveball= 15
Changeup = 3/4

He's a 4 Star overall player but when I switch him to a Starter, he drops to half a star, but his potential stays the same.

Can this be done as I'd really like to slot this guy in as a bottom of the rotation starter on my team (which is lowsy)

Thanks Folks.
I've seen this work well (even with 2 pitch CL or MR guys) in lots of online leagues, am yet to really try it in a single player league. ONe guy was a bonafide closer, he was adjusted to a 0.5 star SP but still with 5 potential, within one season eh was nearly 5* on actual ratings as an SP and went 17 games unbeaten at one stage.

I also had a 4 pitch reliever with low stamina (3 / 10), who I used to spot start when a front liner got injured, he went pretty well too.

Last edited by mikezone13; 10-25-2013 at 06:34 PM.
mikezone13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:08 AM   #3
centryx
Bat Boy

umm so is there a way to designate them from CL or MR to SP??
centryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:46 AM   #4
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by centryx View Post
umm so is there a way to designate them from CL or MR to SP??
Yes, open his player page and use the button at the bottom of the page, 2nd from left, that says "set position to".
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:27 AM   #5
pgjocki
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays_Fan View Post
Hey Folks.

Fastball = 14
Curveball= 15
Changeup = 3/4

Thanks Folks.
There are several additional factors to take into consideration, such as how you are having the AI evaluate the players. I have never let the star rating determine if I can or cannot try someone at a new position, and if you think about, watch Dustin Pedroia play. Pedroia lacks almost every single aspect scouts and people look for in a baseball player, yet the guy is an absolute gamer and a beast.

You can always manually manage the player to stretch him from a reliever to a starter. In my opinion, the biggest difference between a MR and a SP is how they recover from fatigue. If you don't change his role that will affect how tired he is and obviously starters need more rest than relievers.

Lastly, I would put him a pitch count for the first few starts, maybe going from 50 to 75 to 95 then 115 over the course of 5 to 6 starts.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:16 AM   #6
Painmantle
Hall Of Famer

In my experience, that guy should make an adequate starter. From what I've seen the thresh hold for stamina is 3 on a 1-10 scale, or 6 on a 1-20 scale...that will usually get the guy into the 5th,6th or even into the 7th inning on a good day.
A SP needs 3 Pitches, if one of those pitches is weak, the other two would need to be strong but not over powering.

Pitchers who are successful as a SP with 2 pitches usually have a very high stuff/movement/control.....with 2 very good to great pitches so on a 10 point scale a guy with 8s/8m/8c and Pitches of 8/8 are candidates for possible starting roles The higher the better...and the rule of thumb for stamina still applies but more is always better whether it is stamina, ratings or quality of pitches
“As soon as I got out there I felt a strange relationship with the pitcher's mound. It was as if I'd been born out there. Pitching just felt like the most natural thing in the world. Striking out batters was easy.” -Babe Ruth
“Ruth made a grave mistake when he gave up pitching. Working once a week, he might have lasted a long time and become a great star.”-Tris Speaker
My Dynasties
The Beantown Bambino
Painmantle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:52 AM   #7
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painmantle View Post
In my experience, that guy should make an adequate starter. From what I've seen the thresh hold for stamina is 3 on a 1-10 scale, or 6 on a 1-20 scale...that will usually get the guy into the 5th,6th or even into the 7th inning on a good day.
A SP needs 3 Pitches, if one of those pitches is weak, the other two would need to be strong but not over powering.

Pitchers who are successful as a SP with 2 pitches usually have a very high stuff/movement/control.....with 2 very good to great pitches so on a 10 point scale a guy with 8s/8m/8c and Pitches of 8/8 are candidates for possible starting roles The higher the better...and the rule of thumb for stamina still applies but more is always better whether it is stamina, ratings or quality of pitches
^
This

I've had players very similar to him, strong ratings across the board, two strong pitches and one weak pitch. Most have had very successful careers as starters, some even made it to the HOF.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:52 AM   #8
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

The important thing here is to change his position to SP. The game handles relievers and starters differently; if you have a starter who is listed as a MR, chances are he'll only give you around 60-80 pitches before tiring, even if his stamina rating is high. Likewise, if you have a relief pitcher listed as a SP, his stamina will recover much more slowly than if he was listed as a MR (to simulate a SP needing the off-days in real life).

All of this is, of course, dependent on your pitcher stamina settings.
Fyrestorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:16 AM   #9
Jays_Fan
Bat Boy

Stat Projection (WHIP AVG etc...) Behaving Oddly?

Hey Folks

New question:

Im noticing in my fictional league that my projections seem a tad wanky.

Eg: For a Starting Pitcher, the Games started and win/loss seem normal.

But when it comes to WHIP and the like.. even late in a season, the projection is either exactly what his actual WHIP is or like .01 off.

For batters its similar for AVG OPS etc... This is across all teams and players.

Is there something wonky going on?

I has JUST started a new league so to troubleshoot I just uninstalled the game, deleted folders etc, re-installed and then Set the league back up. Same problem.

I know its hard to explain and maybe there's no problem at all and I'm just blowing it out of proportion.

I can provide some screenshots if it will help.

Thanks fellow GM's
Jays_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:41 AM   #10
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Considering that season projections are simply what the player is "on pace for", it makes perfect sense to me - if a player has 28 hits in 100 at-bats through a third of the season (a .280 average), then his projections for the season should be 300 at-bats with 84 hits (a .280 average). Same goes for all "percentage" stats - SLG, OBP, ERA, WHIP, BABIP... if a guy's done something 30% of the time to a certain point in the season, there's no reason to assume he's suddenly going to start doing it 50% of the time.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:03 PM   #11
pjh5165
Major Leagues

yeah its all just what they're on pace for. always fun to see one of your players on pace for 162 HR on opening day
pjh5165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:44 AM   #12
Rex Dart
Minors (Rookie Ball)

In real life, if you wanted to convert an MR to a starter, the ideal time to do it would probably be spring training, or maybe you'd give him time in the minors to get used to starting.

Would this be good practice in OOTP, or can you just take an effective MR and flip him to SP, then stick him in the rotation immediately with no worries?
Rex Dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:04 PM   #13
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Dart View Post
Would this be good practice in OOTP, or can you just take an effective MR and flip him to SP, then stick him in the rotation immediately with no worries?
Pretty much. I wouldn't say "with no worries," though, as most relievers will flounder as starters. A guy's got to have a decent stamina rating and at least 3 decent pitches. But don't be surprised even then if he fails to live up to expectations. Some guys just aren't cut out to be starters.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:14 PM   #14
Rex Dart
Minors (Rookie Ball)

In a few experiments, I've seen a pretty severe hit to the reliever I was trying to convert. One guy who was at 4/4 stars as a CL went to something like 0.5/3.5 as soon as I flipped the switch to "SP". So I'm thinking in practice, yeah, you need to give the guys time to get used to the change.

I'm also noticing more method to the madness of how my scouting director evaluates draft picks. I kept wondering why he was favoring these one-star or lower guys over SPs with 2-3 stars. On further investigation, the SPs he was passing on were almost all "borderline starters" or "emergency starters," usually with only two decent pitches.

Do pitchers ever add new pitches to their repertoire?
Rex Dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:35 PM   #15
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
In a few experiments, I've seen a pretty severe hit to the reliever I was trying to convert. One guy who was at 4/4 stars as a CL went to something like 0.5/3.5 as soon as I flipped the switch to "SP". So I'm thinking in practice, yeah, you need to give the guys time to get used to the change.

I'm also noticing more method to the madness of how my scouting director evaluates draft picks. I kept wondering why he was favoring these one-star or lower guys over SPs with 2-3 stars. On further investigation, the SPs he was passing on were almost all "borderline starters" or "emergency starters," usually with only two decent pitches.

As soon as you change a starter to a reliever, or reliever to starter, his stuff will get a slight change.

From the manual:

Stuff

Stuff is a measure of the quality of a pitcher's pitch repertoire. Think of it as essentially how a pitcher "puts it all together." Stuff directly affects the number of strikeouts a pitcher throws. Stuff is calculated based on a combination of his individual pitch ratings and the velocity with which he throws.

Relief pitchers receive a small bonus to stuff, to reflect the fact that batters get fewer looks at their pitches and have less of a chance to adjust to them. OOTP displays that bonus in the form of increased Stuff ratings. This bonus is heavily tied into the strength of a reliever's top two pitches, since relievers have much less incentive to mix in their weaker offerings. This means that a pitcher with a strong fastball, a strong slider, and a weak changeup might make for an average starting pitcher but a great reliever. You get to decide how he provides the most useful fit for your team. You can see the change in a pitcher's Stuff rating if you change the player's position from SP to MR and back.

Last edited by Bluenoser; 11-06-2013 at 04:36 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:04 PM   #16
awick
Major Leagues

Quote:
Yes, on occasion they do. When this occurs, it seems to be completely random.
awick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:45 PM   #17
le receveur
All Star Starter

Related topic: Converting a batter to a pitcher

I'm preparing for Draft day. In the 21/80 prospects there is a ShortStop that keeps coming up in my pitching filters. he actually doesn't look good as a prospect SS, beyond the athlete part, and personality rating...i'm tempted if he is still around in lower round to take a flyer.
has anyone been successful in converting a player into a pitcher, a la Sergio Santos?
le receveur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:15 PM   #18
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by le receveur View Post
I'm preparing for Draft day. In the 21/80 prospects there is a ShortStop that keeps coming up in my pitching filters. he actually doesn't look good as a prospect SS, beyond the athlete part, and personality rating...i'm tempted if he is still around in lower round to take a flyer.
has anyone been successful in converting a player into a pitcher, a la Sergio Santos?
Check his pitching ratings; it's very possible he would make a decent pitcher. I've done it before.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:44 PM   #19
Curve Ball Dave
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by le receveur View Post
I have found several very good pitchers who had no future as a position player. If you see a guy come up in the your filters, change his position to MR to see his pitching ratings and potential. You'll be pleasantly surprised more often than you think.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:21 AM   #20
le receveur
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curve Ball Dave View Post
I have found several very good pitchers who had no future as a position player. If you see a guy come up in the your filters, change his position to MR to see his pitching ratings and potential. You'll be pleasantly surprised more often than you think.

this is what i'm doing now that drafted him (he went from a 21/80 SS to a 24/80 reliever... his control is bad... still lead my R league to championship.. )

i didn't find a way to see the rating Before he was on my roster, so i couldn't check prior to the draft. did i miss something?
le receveur is offline   Reply With Quote