Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - New to the Game?

OOTP 14 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the game, please come here!

Old 10-23-2013, 11:36 AM   #1
chucksabr
Hall Of Famer

Auto Save vs. Backup

When you create a game, you can select the "Auto Save" frequency ranging from every day to every year, and the game will back up your dat files on that frequency. I'm guessing this is different from "Backup", which creates a fully non-zipped copy of all your games files, not just the dat files. I think that's correct, is it?

My question is, what's the practical difference between the two? Under what circumstances would I select "backup" versus only allowing "autosave"? If I screw up a year and want to replay it, and I copy the autosaved dats over the active game dats to replay it, is there a potential for substantial conflict with files that were created during the screwed-up year?
chucksabr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:30 PM   #2
Painmantle
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksabr View Post
When you create a game, you can select the "Auto Save" frequency ranging from every day to every year, and the game will back up your dat files on that frequency. I'm guessing this is different from "Backup", which creates a fully non-zipped copy of all your games files, not just the dat files. I think that's correct, is it?

My question is, what's the practical difference between the two? Under what circumstances would I select "backup" versus only allowing "autosave"? If I screw up a year and want to replay it, and I copy the autosaved dats over the active game dats to replay it, is there a potential for substantial conflict with files that were created during the screwed-up year?

Auto save saves the active files you are using to play your game. Backup saves the files in another folder ootp14/backup

I tell it to auto save every day, I back up my files every season (you can backup as often as you like) But it gives me a "backup plan" It may also be a good Idea to backup your backups on a removable disc or external HD incase of an unfortunate complete computer crash requiring a reformatting. It really sucks to lose a league you been playing for years when that happens.

Auto save will prevent you from losing what you've done while the game is open in the event of a game/puter crash while playing.

Backup saves the files at a point you designate, it is what will allow you to go back and do a complete season over as it saves the files in a separate location.
“As soon as I got out there I felt a strange relationship with the pitcher's mound. It was as if I'd been born out there. Pitching just felt like the most natural thing in the world. Striking out batters was easy.” -Babe Ruth
“Ruth made a grave mistake when he gave up pitching. Working once a week, he might have lasted a long time and become a great star.”-Tris Speaker
My Dynasties
The Beantown Bambino
Painmantle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:57 PM   #3
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painmantle View Post
Auto save will prevent you from losing what you've done while the game is open in the event of a game/puter crash while playing.
No, not quite. Auto-save simply saves the game the same way you would when you go to exit it. A crash can corrupt and ruin that. The only way to truly protect your game is to back it up, and then if your league gets corrupted, you can restore it with a few clicks.

I feel like a lot of people are turned off by how long it takes to back up a game - but that's only because they don't do it frequently enough. The initial backup of your league is going to take an incredibly long amount of time - OOTP is copying every single file from your league into a new folder. That's going to take a while. But every subsequent backup after that (as long as you back it up into the same folder) will only copy the files that have changed since the last backup.

This means that if you back up your game every couple of in-game days (like I do), the backups take about a minute, maybe two minutes if your system is slower. And, since the game auto-saves every time you back it up, I just ignore the Save Game button and go straight to Back Up Game every time I want to save.

Trust me, the last thing you want is to lose three years of a league you've put so much time and effort into. Back up your games.
Fyrestorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:57 PM   #5
Painmantle
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm3 View Post
No, not quite. Auto-save simply saves the game the same way you would when you go to exit it. A crash can corrupt and ruin that. The only way to truly protect your game is to back it up, and then if your league gets corrupted, you can restore it with a few clicks.

My actual point was you shouldn't (Barring a corrupted file) have to go back more than a day in the event of a crash. But yes if your file becomes corrupt you'll have to go to the back-up..And if your computer craps out your back up is gone. I have never personally had a file become corrupt after an issue like that , but obviously it does happen.

Better to have it saved in multiple ways and places than not enough.
“As soon as I got out there I felt a strange relationship with the pitcher's mound. It was as if I'd been born out there. Pitching just felt like the most natural thing in the world. Striking out batters was easy.” -Babe Ruth
“Ruth made a grave mistake when he gave up pitching. Working once a week, he might have lasted a long time and become a great star.”-Tris Speaker
My Dynasties
The Beantown Bambino
Painmantle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:53 PM   #6
Cinnamon J. Scudworth
All Star Starter

I just back up my league to an external drive as part of the process I use for backing up all of my important files.
"Sometimes, this is like going to a grocery store. You’ve got a list until you get to the check-out stand. And then you start reading People magazine, and all this other [stuff] ends up in the basket."

-Sandy Alderson on the MLB offseason
Cinnamon J. Scudworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:53 PM   #7
soonerlater
Minors (Single A)

moving to a new computer

I have a draft league that has been going for about 15 years, could someone please tell me the easiest way i can transfer it to a new computer so that I don't lose this on- going league? Thank you in advance.
soonerlater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:00 PM   #8
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

PC-
Move your .lf file in your saved games folder to a zip drive, it is not a huge file. I would make a 2nd copy in case something goes wrong in the transfer. Might take 30 seconds to transfer if you have a slow cpu. Then on the new CPU move it from the zip drive to the saved games folder in OOTP. It is pretty simple process. Just make copies before you try to move it to protect yourself.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:02 PM   #9
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerlater View Post
I have a draft league that has been going for about 15 years, could someone please tell me the easiest way i can transfer it to a new computer so that I don't lose this on- going league? Thank you in advance.
It's fairly simple.

Navigate to your Saved Games directory (on Windows, the standard path is Documents > OOTP Developments > OOTP Baseball 14 > saved_games). Find the folder of the game you want to transfer (it will be called "[your game's name].lg") and copy that entire folder onto a flash drive, external HD, or anything that can be used to transfer files between computers. On your new computer, install OOTP, navigate to the same location and paste the .lg folder into the saved_games folder.
Fyrestorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:35 AM   #10
soonerlater
Minors (Single A)

one more question

Thanks for the replies . One more question, I also need to know where I can get my license number so I have it when I re install OOTP on the new computer. Thanks again
soonerlater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:05 AM   #11
Rizzo
Minors (Triple A)

Sort of on the same topic but sort of not...

If I am running an online league, should I disable auto-save? I figured if I were to have made a mistake and had auto-save on, the mistake could possibly be saved into the league.

I guess what I am asking is if I am running an online league, should I even use auto-save at all when I am constantly backing up the league files myself?
Rizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:36 AM   #12
eriqjaffe
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Thanks for the replies . One more question, I also need to know where I can get my license number so I have it when I re install OOTP on the new computer. Thanks again
If you still have the email you got when you purchased OOTP, the license number is in there. If not, you can get your purchase history from eSellerate:

eSellerate After-Purchase Services
Old 10-24-2013, 01:12 PM   #13
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzo View Post
Sort of on the same topic but sort of not...

If I am running an online league, should I disable auto-save? I figured if I were to have made a mistake and had auto-save on, the mistake could possibly be saved into the league.

I guess what I am asking is if I am running an online league, should I even use auto-save at all when I am constantly backing up the league files myself?
I do not use it. I have .tar.gz files saved in a seperate folder. I save them from the last sim before I upload the next file. I label them by year and game date. I clear out the folder every once in a while. Our league file started in 2002?, before my time, so I am waiting for the day the wheels fall off.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:44 PM   #14
Rizzo
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGH-Adfabre View Post
I do not use it. I have .tar.gz files saved in a seperate folder. I save them from the last sim before I upload the next file. I label them by year and game date. I clear out the folder every once in a while. Our league file started in 2002?, before my time, so I am waiting for the day the wheels fall off.
Are the .tar.gz files all you need to back it up? That would make it super easy.
Rizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:42 AM   #15
Bowtie
All Star Starter

Quote:
Alternatively, you could do this to retrieve your license key:

• On the game's main screen, click on Preferences
  • Click on the Troubleshooting tab
  • On the left side, click on "Open folder containing app.cfg"
  • Inside of that open folder you will see a file named key.cfg. Click on key.cfg and it should open as a text file containing your OOTP 14 license key
You could make a backup of that key.cfg file anywhere on your computer such as your My Documents folder for future reference.

Bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 12:04 PM   #16
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzo View Post
Are the .tar.gz files all you need to back it up? That would make it super easy.
Yes... but, depending on your save settings the game deletes certain information. You need to take a look at your save settings, particularly the time frame. I think we are set to delete after 28 days. So if I save 1x per game 4 weeks I will have everything before it deletes.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:04 PM   #17
chucksabr
Hall Of Famer

OK, here's another question related to this:

What's the practical difference between Backup and Quick Start? If I back up my game through backup, versus saving it as a quick start, what are the differences between these two schemes?
Old 11-05-2013, 07:00 AM   #18
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
OK, here's another question related to this:

What's the practical difference between Backup and Quick Start? If I back up my game through backup, versus saving it as a quick start, what are the differences between these two schemes?
One is a backup, the other a QS.

A QS is good for starting a new game with the exact same layout/teams/players/ etc. It creates a Quick Start Game based off the settings etc you made when creating the league.

eg: I created a Canadian League, lots of customization. Once I'm happy with it, I save it as a QS. A few months from now, I decide I want to start another Canadian League the same as the one I played previously. I create a new QS game, a menu pops up and my QS I previously created is there. I select it, OOTP creates my Canadian League. It's a mirror image of my original, same everything, including players.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:51 PM   #19
chucksabr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
One is a backup, the other a QS.

A QS is good for starting a new game with the exact same layout/teams/players/ etc. It creates a Quick Start Game based off the settings etc you made when creating the league.

eg: I created a Canadian League, lots of customization. Once I'm happy with it, I save it as a QS. A few months from now, I decide I want to start another Canadian League the same as the one I played previously. I create a new QS game, a menu pops up and my QS I previously created is there. I select it, OOTP creates my Canadian League. It's a mirror image of my original, same everything, including players.
How is that different from just backing up the game, saving it that way, and then just restoring it when you want to start over?
Old 11-05-2013, 07:18 PM   #20
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
How is that different from just backing up the game, saving it that way, and then just restoring it when you want to start over?
It's not really different in that sense.

Myself, I only play fictional. Every single time I create a new league (one that I plan on keeping for a while) I make a QS once I have everything set the way I want it.

I play my league. Maybe 5 or 10 seasons in I'm not happy with the way some things turned out, I want to start over. I might want to make a change to some setting or team.

I create a new game from the QS - all my settings are there, but I'm back at day 1 of my league. (Yes, you could technically just do a backup here and start over with that).

I can share this QS with anyone. (Yes, I could probably share a back-up too)

Markus added them quite some time ago. They're a great addition. Some use them, some don't.

I happen to think they're an awesome addition.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote