Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - New to the Game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the game, please come here!

Old 04-25-2013, 12:59 PM   #1
CleveRockRoll
Bat Boy

I'm lost

I am new to OOTP14. I use to play a lot of sim games 20-25 years ago on an old Commadore 64. I have tried a couple of dozen times to set up a new league that I want to play and I am just lost so I figured I would come to the experts!
(I also searched the forums but could not come up with an answer)

I am trying to start a new career league using all of the players from 1871 to the present and create a draft using these players so I might have Shoeless Joe batting in front of Bonds, etc. Sometimes after it imports the players I get 1700 players available, a couple of times I got 5200+ players available for the draft but not everyone is there. Teams will draft players like Mantle, Ciccotte, Cano etc but Cobb, Ruth, Bonds and others are not there.

Is there a file I can download (?) to get all of the players? Is there a file that also has the Negro League players included along with all of the historical Major League players?

I know I am doing something wrong, I just can't figure it out and knowing that this game will be fun to play, I don't want to get frustrated with it.

Thank you in advance for any help
CleveRockRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:08 PM   #2
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleveRockRoll View Post
I am new to OOTP14. I use to play a lot of sim games 20-25 years ago on an old Commadore 64. I have tried a couple of dozen times to set up a new league that I want to play and I am just lost so I figured I would come to the experts!
(I also searched the forums but could not come up with an answer)

I am trying to start a new career league using all of the players from 1871 to the present and create a draft using these players so I might have Shoeless Joe batting in front of Bonds, etc. Sometimes after it imports the players I get 1700 players available, a couple of times I got 5200+ players available for the draft but not everyone is there. Teams will draft players like Mantle, Ciccotte, Cano etc but Cobb, Ruth, Bonds and others are not there.

Is there a file I can download (?) to get all of the players? Is there a file that also has the Negro League players included along with all of the historical Major League players?

I know I am doing something wrong, I just can't figure it out and knowing that this game will be fun to play, I don't want to get frustrated with it.

Thank you in advance for any help
Have you ever given thought to trying a random debut league? You won't have access to every player in the inaugural draft, but you will still have the chance to see interesting match ups involving players from different periods.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:10 PM   #3
Gern44
All Star Starter

Unfortunately, I dont know the answer to your question. There is a complete database of every player, but I dont know how to access it for your purposes, as I've never done a league like that.

My real intent was to say that If you played sports sims on a Commodore64, you had to have had Microleague Baseball, right??

One of my first and worst video game addictions ever!

Gern44's Blog
Gern44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:27 PM   #4
CleveRockRoll
Bat Boy

I'm Lost

It was MicroLeague. Man I loved that game
CleveRockRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:31 PM   #5
CatKnight
All Star Starter

Microleague Baseball was awesome.

Cleve: Welcome!

Unfortunately I don't have a good answer for you regarding the database. I imagine if you managed to get 5200 players to import it must be possible, but that must be alot for the OOTP engine to handle. All your teams would be incredibly powerful, and of course everyone including those who weren't on the starting lineups would age.

There are people around here who are very clever with databases and can probably help you. I imagine it's as simple as taking the Spritze/Gambo db (since it has some Negro Leaguers, Asian Players and almost-weres along with the MLBers) and modifying the debut year.

If instead your intent is to have a game last multiple seasons while still allowing the chance for Shoeless to play with Bonds, etc., then I strongly recommend random debut. It's an option in the historical tab when the game asks where to get your draftees from.

In random debut, players are brought in...well, randomly...from across the default MLB database - so your Shoeless/Bonds combo might have Mike Schmidt at 3B. Or Eddie Gaedel. You can do an inaugural draft from that, and those players will be at random points in their career to simulate a good mix of seasoned veterans and young pups.

After that, every draft will have another batch of players chosen randomly, all at in the first year they debuted in the Majors.
CatKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:23 PM   #6
Charlie Hough
Hall Of Famer

Cleve, do yourself a favor and start simple. Instead of going full throttle into custom databases and other options, I would recommend trying a league with the default database first. This will allow you to get used to the game and learn how to set up leagues with more basic settings.

If you want to use the random debut feature to allow players throughout baseball history to randomly enter your game, you can do that as well. But right now there's a bug cropping up with player positions on occasion, so you may want to hold off until that is fixed.

There is a Gambo/Spritze database available at OOTPMods.com that contains Negro League players but also many career minor leaguers, Japanese players and others who never played in MLB. This can be used to add more players to your game, but they will also enter in the first year they played professional baseball and not their respective major leagues. The same thing will happen with MLB players as well.

To get used to the game, I would recommend turning off scouting, coaching, player development, player personalities, and the morale system. You may want to change the ratings basis to a 1-10 scale, have player overall and potential abilities based on AI evaluation and not pure ratings, and use 3-year recalc.

If you're used to something like MicroLeague, these settings and others may give you a more similar experience that keeps things simple and makes OOTP more like a replay sim than a complex career-based sim.
Charlie Hough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:01 PM   #7
bigsmooth
Major Leagues

I agree with Hough - start small, learn the game and the nuiances of it; and the random debut suggestion is equally valid. I have been playing the game since 2002, and at times, it is hard for me to figure out my way around it; it is a very detailed engine and an amazingly awesome game!
bigsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:38 PM   #8
ZouDave
Major Leagues

So, do you literally want one version of *EVERY* player available in a fantasy draft, or do you want just enough players to make complete teams with some backups?

Are you wanting to do this as just a 1-season thing or will you want it to have multiple years with new drafts, player development, etc?

If you're just wanting to have a league that will have enough players to have 40-man rosters, and it's (basically) the best 1200 players to ever play the game, then what you want to try is to start with the Seamheads Laundry League Quickstart. It should be included with OOTP14. From the main screen, click "Quickstart Game" and then choose "Seamheads Laundry League" from the list. Give your game a name and click Create Game.

You'll have the modern day MLB teams and all players will be in a fantasy draft pool. From there you're good to go!