Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 02-08-2020, 12:29 PM   #181
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
That was especially egregious.
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 03:39 PM   #182
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonin View Post
One thing that has bothered me about NBA officiating for a long time is the tendency to call a foul on the defensive player even when the offensive player has gone out of his way to initiate contact. James Harden benefits greatly from this, and I find it difficult to watch the Rockets for that reason.
Yes, this ^^^.
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 11:21 AM   #183
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Watching the NBA is like watching 2 games. The basketball game & the "what is the ref looking at?" game.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 03:51 AM   #184
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

That was a fun all star game and a fun weekend overall.
I liked the new scoring format and during that fourth quarter an actual NBA game broke out.
Old 02-19-2020, 10:04 AM   #185
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

How many times have JB & Bernie Bickerstaff been named "interim coach"? It's gotta be reaching double digits by now.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 02-19-2020, 10:24 AM   #186
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Thanks to Cleveland a college team just hit the lottery. Not sure which college team it will be, but success is in their future.

Last edited by David Watts; 02-19-2020 at 10:25 AM.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 02:52 PM   #187
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

The Cavs continue to baffle me. I have never heard of a team already turning against their coach before training camp even ends.
John Beilein was over matched coaching professionals and him being offered a five year deal was a joke.
The Cavs are now paying SEVEN different head coaches.
What a dumpster fire of an organization.

And good luck to John Beilein back in the amateur ranks where his yelling and screaming and racial slurs work against children.
He will never be hired by a professional organization again.

Last edited by rudel.dietrich; 02-19-2020 at 06:53 PM.
Old 02-19-2020, 03:28 PM   #188
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudel.dietrich View Post
The Cavs continue to baffle me. I have never heard of a team already turning against their coach before training camp even ends.
John Beilein was over matched coaching professionals and him being offered a five year deal was a coach.
The Cavs are now paying SEVEN different head coaches.
What a dumpster fire of an organization.

And good luck to John Beilein back in the amateur ranks where his yelling and screaming and racial slurs work against children.
He will never be hired by a professional organization again.
What racial slur?
Old 02-19-2020, 04:16 PM   #189
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Haven't heard of a racial slur. I did hear that he told his team they were playing like "thugs". He claims he misspoke and meant to say "slugs". Though sometimes there maybe racist thinking that goes into using the term, "thug" isn't a racial slur. Certainly not towards anyone on the Cavs roster. If I'm not mistaken, "thug" originated in India.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 02-19-2020, 04:35 PM   #190
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Haven't heard of a racial slur. I did hear that he told his team they were playing like "thugs". He claims he misspoke and meant to say "slugs". Though sometimes there maybe racist thinking that goes into using the term, "thug" isn't a racial slur. Certainly not towards anyone on the Cavs roster. If I'm not mistaken, "thug" originated in India.
I figured that was what was being referred to, but I sometimes miss things and didn't know if he said something else. Based on his long history of coaching success, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and believe he misspoke.
Old 02-19-2020, 04:38 PM   #191
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
What racial slur?
During a film session he said his players were playing like thugs.
After players and assistants and the training staff complained the Cavs upper management brought him into the office to explain himself.
He said he misspoke and meant slugs.
That explanation did not satisfy almost anyone involved and an already fractured relationship got even worse.

Whether he meant it or not I cannot say. But the players and other coaches and many on the staff took it as Freudian slip and at the point perception became reality.

It was never a good hire and I have never seen a team turn on their coach that quickly. They were done with him before mid October even hit.
Old 02-19-2020, 04:45 PM   #192
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Watching the NBA is like watching 2 games. The basketball game & the "what is the ref looking at?" game.
I'm the last to defend NBA refs, as I believe that they are the worst officials of the major sports leagues... That said, I think in this particular case the problem wasn't with the call made, but by the ambiguity of the "swipe across" rule (or whatever it's called). I believe a few years the NBA decided to reduce the number of what it deemed to be "cheap" shooting fouls (by the likes of Harden and Bryant to name a few), where when the defender would extend an arm close to the guy with the ball, the guy with the ball would swipe across and make contact with the defender's arm as part of his transition into the shooting motion, thus initiating contact that resulted in a shooting foul.

That's what Lou Williams did, although in this particular case it could be argued that it was really one fluid motion... So, based on the rule, for the better or worse of it, that particular call could've gone either way. IMO.
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 04:50 PM   #193
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
After players and assistants and the training staff complained the Cavs upper management brought him into the office to explain himself.
That explanation did not satisfy almost anyone involved and an already fractured relationship got even worse.

Whether he meant it or not I cannot say. But the players and other coaches and many on the staff took it as Freudian slip and at the point perception became reality.

It was never a good hire and I have never seen a team turn on their coach that quickly. They were done with him before mid October even hit.
I was shocked when he took the job. So many college coaches fail at the NBA level. Billy Donovan seems to have it figured out. Larry Brown can do both. I guess maybe Brad Stevens may still prove he can do so, but there sure were a lot of folks questioning his abilities towards the end of last year.
Old 02-19-2020, 04:54 PM   #194
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
I was shocked when he took the job. So many college coaches fail at the NBA level. Billy Donovan seems to have it figured out. Larry Brown can do both. I guess maybe Brad Stevens may still prove he can do so, but there sure were a lot of folks questioning his abilities towards the end of last year.
I was surprised he took it at his age. Most attempt it when they are much younger.
But if you are offered a 5 year contract then you take it.
Cleveland is not what I would call a smart franchise.
Old 02-19-2020, 05:04 PM   #195
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Cleveland is not what I would call a smart franchise.
You talkin' NBA or NFL?
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 02-19-2020, 05:06 PM   #196
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You talkin' NBA or NFL?
Cleveland Barons hockey
Old 02-19-2020, 06:00 PM   #197
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Cleveland Barons hockey
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 02-20-2020, 06:53 PM   #198
Antonin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

When the story about the "thugs" remark broke, I have to be honest and say i gave him the benefit of the doubt on the whole thing.

Anyone here can either believe me or not on this, but that word, when spoken by a white person to a black person in a particular situation, has a certain meaning to a black person, whether or not the white person thinks so or even realizes it. It is part of our (the USA's) troubled history as a multiracial country, and it is not going to change in my lifetime. There is a massive gap between white and black; I have experienced it even in cross-racial friendships I have had for 50 years. I have unfortunately found that I know more about the culture(s) of most of my white friends than they know about mine.

I still hear white folks casually use the word "niggling" to refer to something that is slightly annoying. But when a black person hears or reads that word, the blood pressure instantly shoots up, because it is waaaaay too close to that other word. For most white folks, no offense is meant. They don't even think about it. But I am convinced, given the times we live in, that some use it with full knowledge of what it sounds like to a black person.

I don't think Beilein meant anything derogatory by using the term "thugs," but he would have been better off telling them they were playing like a bunch of junior varsity idiots, which some of them definitely were.

He's in his 60s, and when you reach that age, you think a lot about the fact that you are much closer to the end of your life than the beginning. You become really reluctant to spend time doing things you don't want to do. So maybe he just decided enough was enough, time to move on.

I liked him as a coach. I thought he really understands the game and would be a good teacher for our young guys. I regret that once again, we have to start over and try to get the franchise on the right track.
Cultural icons, gone but not forgotten: David Bowie, Lou Reed, William S. Burroughs, Tristan Tzara, Jack Kerouac, Allen Ginsburg, Jimi Hendrix, John Cage, Johnny Thunders (New York Dolls), Mike Hudson (The Pagans), Joey Ramone (Ramones), Stiv Bators (Dead Boys), Tomata Du Plenty (The Screamers), Joe Strummer (The Clash), Lester Bangs
Antonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 10:14 PM   #199
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Kyrie out for the rest of the year. Who knew when the season began, Irving would play just a handful of games more than Durant? Nets paid $69m for 20 games to 2 players.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 02-20-2020, 10:29 PM   #200
ezpkns34
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Kyrie out for the rest of the year. Who knew when the season began, Irving would play just a handful of games more than Durant? Nets paid $69m for 20 games to 2 players.

8-12 with Kyrie
17-16 without him

Seems to be a habit for Kyrie's teams
ezpkns34 is offline   Reply With Quote