Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 02-09-2020, 10:37 AM   #21
Buster Cherry
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
I was a huge Stars fan. They had former Tar Heel Kelvin Bryant & that is where I became a big Sam Mills fan.
The Birmingham Stallions were my team. Joe Cribbs and Jim Smith were my two favorite players. They would have won a championship had they not had that awful Steeler reject Cliff Stoudt at QB. Rollie Dotsch was a good coach but he succumbed to pancreatic cancer a few years after the USFL folded.
Buster Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 12:40 PM   #22
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukhotstove View Post
ESPN Player is doing the games here, think it costs around $20 although not 100%, however YouTube is showing a game now. If YouTube show at least a game a week I'll watch, although I can afford it I'm not paying $20 for it. After watching the first half I get a college football feel.
Where are you located that you don't get ABC or Fox? On Atlantis?

Quote:
I was a huge Stars fan. They had former Tar Heel Kelvin Bryant & that is where I became a big Sam Mills fan.
I was a Generals fan. Curious, did Herschel Walker ever get into the HOF? It is the pro football HAO, not the NFL HOF, Namath can attest to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightdreamer2k View Post
I enjoyed the on field play of the AAF. So far watching the XFL has yet to mirror that but time will tell.
I agree. I will continue to watch.
Ragnar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 02:39 PM   #23
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Not sure I like the replay rules. What constitutes "a play that has significant competitive impact in the outcome of the game."?
My understanding of this is any play that is questionable. That's not what I originally thought. I had the same questions. But I am making that determination based on what I have seen so far.
Old 02-09-2020, 03:06 PM   #24
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
My understanding of this is any play that is questionable. That's not what I originally thought. I had the same questions. But I am making that determination based on what I have seen so far.
Yeah I'm taking a wait and see attitude on that. I hate ambiguous wording in the rule or law books. It leads arbitrary and manipulated decision-making.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 04:12 PM   #25
ezpkns34
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Where are you located that you don't get ABC or Fox? On Atlantis?
Based on his name, I'd assume the UK. Do they get ABC or Fox over there? Not being a smartass, never had to think about it

I'd have suggested they not start so soon after the Super Bowl. Maybe early March instead. Give people a chance to start missing football
ezpkns34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 05:18 PM   #26
low
Hall Of Famer

The biggest question for me was "do people really want more football?" I originally thought no. Maybe it's just different enough that it might work in keeping people interested for two more months. I love some of the rules, the play quality has been decent, and the broadcasts have been good. And the transparency of the review system is awesome. My only real complaint so far is the amount of interviews. I'm not a fan of getting up in some guys mug right as he comes off the field.

I hope the NFL is watching because they could learn a few things.

Last edited by low; 02-09-2020 at 05:24 PM.
low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 04:01 PM   #27
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezpkns34 View Post
Based on his name, I'd assume the UK. Do they get ABC or Fox over there? Not being a smartass, never had to think about it

I thought of that after I posted. I considered editing but decided against it. Let him think me a fool. I deserve it after that dopey post of mine.

Quote:
I'd have suggested they not start so soon after the Super Bowl. Maybe early March instead. Give people a chance to start missing football
I think you're right, but who really knows? It's hard for a new league to take hold. People aren't used to the teams. There are no rivalries as of yet. It takes time. I think if the teams were farm teams for the NFL it might have a better chance. People would have an immediate connection. Just my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by low View Post
The biggest question for me was "do people really want more football?" I originally thought no. Maybe it's just different enough that it might work in keeping people interested for two more months. I love some of the rules, the play quality has been decent, and the broadcasts have been good. And the transparency of the review system is awesome. My only real complaint so far is the amount of interviews. I'm not a fan of getting up in some guys mug right as he comes off the field.

I hope the NFL is watching because they could learn a few things.
I don't mind the extra point rules. Although I think it could be edited to be more realistic. Like 1 point from the 1, two points from the 3-5, and 3 points from the 10. That would make a clear distinction.

As far as kickoff rules, I liked the old rules. Kickoff from the 30. That takes care of the onside kicks as well. Expand rosters to 60-63 so that special teams can be specific players to account for injuries.

It is sad to say, but I was watching games from the late 70s early 80s recently and the hitting is noticeably harder. These are not better athletes yet they play much more aggressively. It is very noticeable.
Old 02-10-2020, 04:17 PM   #28
ezpkns34
All Star Reserve

Quote:
It is sad to say, but I was watching games from the late 70s early 80s recently and the hitting is noticeably harder. These are not better athletes yet they play much more aggressively. It is very noticeable.
You don't even have to go back that far to see big hits. Mid to late 00's still had big hits. Heck, Sean Taylor nearly broke a punter in half during the 07 Pro Bowl game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC7Wx3zCiQo

As for the XFL, I believe the thing that the NFL is most likely to crib from that league is actually how one of the teams had ads on their helmets. If the NFL takes any 1 thing from the XFL, I'd be shocked if that wasn't it
ezpkns34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 04:22 PM   #29
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Where are you located that you don't get ABC or Fox? On Atlantis? .
England/UK there are clues We get a Fox channel but it's a non sport channel.
ukhotstove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 04:27 PM   #30
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You don't even have to go back that far to see big hits. Mid to late 00's still had big hits. Heck, Sean Taylor nearly broke a punter in half during the 07 Pro Bowl game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC7Wx3zCiQo

As for the XFL, I believe the thing that the NFL is most likely to crib from that league is actually how one of the teams had ads on their helmets. If the NFL takes any 1 thing from the XFL, I'd be shocked if that wasn't it
Oh I know you don't have to go back that far. I'm just saying I'm surprised I noticed such a big difference going back that far.

As far as the XFL, I'd be for anything that speeds up the game.

Check this play out and watch the replay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbG3Mk9t9dQ

Yes, he came back in the game and caught several passes. How crazy is that? No way does that happen in today's game. So as much as I complain I am glad they have some rules to protect players.
Old 02-10-2020, 05:13 PM   #31
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Dang! Must have lost a huge PPV match.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 02-10-2020, 05:13 PM   #32
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

....computer glitch
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance

Last edited by Cobra Mgr; 02-10-2020 at 05:14 PM. Reason: computer glitch
Old 02-10-2020, 05:36 PM   #33
Cooleyvol
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I was actually knee deep in the USFL, I thought that was a pretty good league. After watching the first game of XFL I thought it fell short of the AAF or whatever that was called. They looked terrible out there. But I'll keep watching.

So far this league looks more like sandlot football than NFL.
You must've watched something different than me. Short of the AAF? Hardly.
Cooleyvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 09:27 AM   #34
pilight
All Star Starter

Attendance and viewership were about the same as week one of the AAF. If they don't pick up this will be the Ex-FL 2.0.
pilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 09:57 AM   #35
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilight View Post
Attendance and viewership were about the same as week one of the AAF. If they don't pick up this will be the Ex-FL 2.0.
No one expects them to match week one numbers. They just don't want them to plummet to the microscopic range. McMahon supposedly is in this for the long haul so the financial banking won't disappear as quickly as the AAF.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 02-11-2020, 05:06 PM   #36
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
No one expects them to match week one numbers. They just don't want them to plummet to the microscopic range. McMahon supposedly is in this for the long haul so the financial banking won't disappear as quickly as the AAF.
If he's in it for the long haul maybe it will gain traction. But I was having a hard time watching these games as opposed to the AAF where I was mildly entertained. Maybe I have to get used to the gimmicks? I do like the 25 second clock a lot.
Old 02-12-2020, 12:56 AM   #37
Bobbuttons
Hall Of Famer

While I am always skeptical, as we all are, of the long-term viability of these kinds of leagues, I have to say that I watched at least half of each game this past weekend and I was a lot more entertained than I was with the AAF.

The problem is that they chose the venues poorly. Audi Field for the DC team is a great idea, 20,000 seat soccer stadium, so anything over 10,000 looks pretty good on camera and to the players. But to have other teams playing in 67-68,000 seat stadiums in NY and Seattle, and other teams playing in larger capacity stadiums, it just looks bad. They should have been looking at soccer stadiums with 15 to 20,000 seats from the get-go.

Gibson swings, and a fly ball to deep right field! This is gonna be a home run! Unbelievable! A home run for Gibson! And the Dodgers have won the game, 5 to 4; I don't believe what I just saw! I don't believe what I just saw!
Bobbuttons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 07:52 PM   #38
knightdreamer2k
Major Leagues

I watched parts of both games today and I will say that I liked the AAF on field play substantially better than the XFL. The passing game is inconsistent, and so far there is not any rhythm to the offense.

I liked the AAF because it played like the NFL of old with the hits and the balance of passing and running on offense. I don't hate the XFL, but to this point the play on the field reminds me of division II football.
knightdreamer2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 08:22 PM   #39
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Both games didn't piggyback on what we saw last week.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 02-15-2020, 09:19 PM   #40
low
Hall Of Famer

Might just be me but I'm seeing a lot of dropped passes. Looks like the Packers WRs and TEs out there.
low is offline   Reply With Quote