Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 06-16-2018, 10:19 AM   #21
Rosco Peabody
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel230 View Post
I've actually called into the Michael Kay show a few times to say i feel like Ellsbury is getting a pass from the NY media. They have KILLED guys in the past who had similar situations (Carl Pavano). Plus, Ellsbury is never seen or heard. Zero personality. To me, Ellsbury is and was the most overrated player in Baseball, living off one great season. The Yankee owners panicked when Cano left and signed Ellsbury to the worst contract possibly in MLB history.

We Red Sox fans saw it coming big time. Three years before he left, we all spoke of him as if he was already gone (especially since he has Boras as an agent).

I remember phone calls coming into sports radio joking about his latest injury, saying he missed three weeks because got soap in his eye while showering or other ridiculous mock injuries.

Been playing since OOTP '08

Avatar is a picture of me drawn by one of my students a few years ago

(My real name is not Rosco, nor do I live anywhere near Peabody)
Rosco Peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 11:55 AM   #22
wallewalls
All Star Reserve

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
I've actually called into the Michael Kay show a few times to say i feel like Ellsbury is getting a pass from the NY media. They have KILLED guys in the past who had similar situations (Carl Pavano). Plus, Ellsbury is never seen or heard. Zero personality. To me, Ellsbury is and was the most overrated player in Baseball, living off one great season. The Yankee owners panicked when Cano left and signed Ellsbury to the worst contract possibly in MLB history.
Chris Davis....

But I dont think much of that is Ellsbury's fault. He's not a bad guy, he's never had any off the field issues, he just cant stay healthy. The signing was bad and unnecessary, but that is Scott Boras' game, going behind the GMs back and convincing team owners to sign his guys (see Eric Hosmer this past offseason, the same exact thing)

As far as his not being seen or heard from, thats good. The Yankees certainly don't miss him this season. The Yankees are getting reimbursed by insurance by him not playing, so its not an immediate concern. Yes, there are better uses for his 21 million dollar salary this season, but they are fine.
wallewalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 09:50 PM   #23
Rosco Peabody
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallewalls View Post
Chris Davis....

Yes. Chris Davis is the worst signing ever.

Old 06-16-2018, 11:01 PM   #24
diesel230
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallewalls View Post
Chris Davis....

But I dont think much of that is Ellsbury's fault. He's not a bad guy, he's never had any off the field issues, he just cant stay healthy. The signing was bad and unnecessary, but that is Scott Boras' game, going behind the GMs back and convincing team owners to sign his guys (see Eric Hosmer this past offseason, the same exact thing)

As far as his not being seen or heard from, thats good. The Yankees certainly don't miss him this season. The Yankees are getting reimbursed by insurance by him not playing, so its not an immediate concern. Yes, there are better uses for his 21 million dollar salary this season, but they are fine.
Its not his fault. But coming to New York with a massive contract, you have all eyes on you. Nobody thinks hes a bad guy, but hes a high profile Yankee and even the most die hard Yankee fans wouldn't recognize his voice. He didn't have to be Nick Swisher, but fans might have been more sympathetic if he showed some enthusiasm or even a pulse.
diesel230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 07:58 PM   #25
Rosco Peabody
All Star Starter

Quote:
Its not his fault. But coming to New York with a massive contract, you have all eyes on you. Nobody thinks hes a bad guy, but hes a high profile Yankee and even the most die hard Yankee fans wouldn't recognize his voice. He didn't have to be Nick Swisher, but fans might have been more sympathetic if he showed some enthusiasm or even a pulse.

Red Sox fans dealt with this with J.D. Drew. He was actually a real solid baseball player, especially from an OBP sabermetrics position (ie.- he'd be even more appreciated nowadays), but Sox fans hated him because of his lack of emotion. We like guys like Trot Nixon who will strike out, then punch a Gatorade bottle because he's mad at himself, yet not complain about it. The only complainer who was ever accepted here was David Ortiz.
J.D. Drew would look the same after a Home run, a walk, and a strikeout, as if he were some cyborg. Plus, add to it that he was as soft as baby poo and would beg out of games routinely and he was not a fan fave.

Old 06-20-2018, 01:01 PM   #26
colourmebrad
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swami077 View Post
I actually don't think it's cheating. MLB teams make up injuries to put ineffective players on the DL all the time.
Which is... cheating.
colourmebrad is offline   Reply With Quote