Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the 2017 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 04-17-2017, 04:02 PM   #1
chriskelly
All Star Reserve

double steal

I'm about 2/3 of a season in; i double steal every chance I get, and I've never been caught once. I noticed the same in last years' version. Whenever I get a guy on 2nd with speed over 65 and a guy on first over 40, I double steal. I never don't get a lead, I never see a pitchout, and I never get caught.

Does this happen to you?

I know that I shouldn't take advantage of this, but it's my way at getting back at the AI for stealing / taking extra bases with a 6 run lead.
chriskelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 04:37 PM   #2
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

that's odd if it happens every single time without fail, for sure...

i'd give some additional info when you file a bug report though... finish that season or use a backup to finish it quickly... check the SB / SB% numbers.

stolen bases year-to-year totals was quite volatile last year and past years. so, if it's within 500-700or so of what you see on baseball reference.com, then it's probably okay there...

if its ~70% +/- a few, it's good there, too.. even if 67 is a bit low and 74 is a bit high it's not off enough that it could cause what you are seeing etc...

Or, if you auto-calced, all of those #'s should be fine even if not exact... let them know the baseline environemtn isn't the cause.

edit: since it's a video game i have no problem stealing with a 6 run lead

in real life:
a team has scored 12 runs in an inning before, right (whatever the # is)? and definitely more than 6-9ish many times, so no lead is safe, ever. the complaints are solely rooted in misperceived slight due. angry because they are being embarassed on the field and reach for any rational reason possible to whine and cry. as far as i'm concerned if it can happen, you have to keep the pedal down. it's not being mean... it's avoiding the history books (more like infamy).

if money is involved, this is how it works. they should be big boys about it and suck it up. a lesson they never learned, clearly.

hope no one would do this with a little league team, lol... but i don't doubt it for the teams that are elite and competing for theere stupid lil tourny... college wasn't enouhg, now they are going to ruin the litltle league ws with a profit model

Last edited by NoOne; 04-17-2017 at 04:49 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 05:01 PM   #3
maximus33
Minors (Double A)

I have a fast team, and while this is rare, when it shows up I will try it. I would say its about 50% effective. It does not work everytime. I steal bases all the time and still it works out to be league average. I had one guy lead the league by 1 base. I have heard people say they get thrown out everytime and some say they never get thrown out. I can assure you the factors in this game are perfect.
maximus33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 05:10 PM   #4
eldur00
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus33 View Post
I have a fast team, and while this is rare, when it shows up I will try it. I would say its about 50% effective. It does not work everytime. I steal bases all the time and still it works out to be league average. I had one guy lead the league by 1 base. I have heard people say they get thrown out everytime and some say they never get thrown out. I can assure you the factors in this game are perfect.
Are you sure ?

I have never been thrown out on a double steal ever either since OOTP 11 and I've played out well over 1000 games over that span. I have never seen it not work as long as the guy on second has good speed. Not once.

It's actually one of the reasons why I moved from managing my games to setting everything to AI except for substitutions. It was too easy to exploit.

The number of steals would still be fairly realistic overall for the entirety of the season because a double steal is fairly situational. You need a guy with good speed on second with a guy on first as well. It's not a situation that happens every single game.
eldur00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:27 PM   #5
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

I would take a position on this topic somewhere between chriskelly and maximus33. I would say the double steal (assuming you have two fast guys who can also steal) is not foolproof but it is successful more than 50% of the time. I'd say more like 75% of the time, considerably higher than the success rates of the runners stealing bases individually.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:56 PM   #6
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldur00 View Post
Are you sure ?

I have never been thrown out on a double steal ever either since OOTP 11 and I've played out well over 1000 games over that span. I have never seen it not work as long as the guy on second has good speed. Not once.

It's actually one of the reasons why I moved from managing my games to setting everything to AI except for substitutions. It was too easy to exploit.

The number of steals would still be fairly realistic overall for the entirety of the season because a double steal is fairly situational. You need a guy with good speed on second with a guy on first as well. It's not a situation that happens every single game.
what are the settings in your Stats tab

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:05 PM   #7
Greenbay
Minors (Double A)

Playing last night I had trail runner (much slower runner) thrown out at second. I'm only 10 games into the season, playing as Padres, so I haven't had many opportunities for a double steal.
Before the latest patch came out I was playing as the Tigers and had the lead runner thrown out at third.
Greenbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:44 AM   #8
dmacgreg37
Major Leagues

I've had many runners thrown out on double steals (leading and trail) in OOTP 15-17, and haven't yet started 18, despite owning/dl it.
dmacgreg37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 04:36 AM   #9
Grafton19
Major Leagues

I have been thrown out on Double steal

No issue with the game and I play all my games.
Grafton19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:00 AM   #10
maximus33
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldur00 View Post
Are you sure ?

Yes it happened last night. Thrown out at 3rd. If you have never been thrown out on a double steal I would have to question just how many times in 1000 games have you done this.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:28 AM   #11
keeks
Minors (Single A)

Ive gotten thrown out plenty of times my team is fast too. The dude in front never gets caught but the 2nd runner has gotten caught most of the time for me
keeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 03:16 AM   #12
hluraven
Major Leagues

I double steal with anyone, regardless of speed. I would say I score more runs on throws that are errors, than have anyone thrown out.

My #3/4 hitters tend to the lead the league on steals.

Conversely, I never steal with single runners, regardless of speed, as they get thrown out very frequently.
hluraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 03:23 AM   #13
hluraven
Major Leagues

My current stats, on September 8th in the first season. Standard MLB game and settings.

Players that have been with me a while:

Mike Napoli - 34 steals, 4 CS
Ben Zobrist - 35-2
Josh Donaldson - 65-6
Richard Urena - 20-1
Ryan Braun 41 steals, 0 caught
Jose Bautista - 35-3
Joe Panik, 39-7

Whole team = 412 SB, 39 CS so a success rate of 206 double steals from 245 attempts (84%). Without caring about speed.

As I said, I have also scored a lot (and advance the trailing runner to third) on a large amount of errors forced by the double steal.
hluraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:23 PM   #14
vicenteegardo
Bat Boy

Quien mierda son los milers

Enviado desde mi MotoE2(4G-LTE) mediante Tapatalk
vicenteegardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:32 AM   #15
maximus33
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicenteegardo View Post

I think this is the double steal signal..
Old 04-20-2017, 03:57 PM   #16
chriskelly
All Star Reserve

and just like that i got thrown out at 3rd last night on a double steal. I blame you guys.
chriskelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 04:17 PM   #17
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Location: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico (formally San Diego, CA.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicenteegardo View Post

Watch the profanity

Chargers= Despicable Traitors
Padreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 04:17 PM   #18
Bunktown Ballers
All Star Starter

Infractions: 0/1 (2)
Double Steal

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskelly View Post
I'm about 2/3 of a season in; i double steal every chance I get, and I've never been caught once. I noticed the same in last years' version. Whenever I get a guy on 2nd with speed over 65 and a guy on first over 40, I double steal. I never don't get a lead, I never see a pitchout, and I never get caught.

Does this happen to you?

I know that I shouldn't take advantage of this, but it's my way at getting back at the AI for stealing / taking extra bases with a 6 run lead.
I agree 100% with original poster. With my White Sox team in last version it got so easy to steal bases on double steals I did so the whole reason to see how many I could get. I finished with a little over 300 steals & around 25 caught stealing. Tim Anderson (77) led team. Everyone on team had at least 1 & even Abreu had 15 or so. I no longer do double steals because of all games I watch IN REAL LIFE I rarely ever see one & I never do RUN & HIT because of too many steals that ways too. And I play out every game of White Sox
Bunktown Ballers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:54 AM   #19
DFyvie
Major Leagues

I double steal a lot. But I only ever give the go-ahead with a right-handed batter at the plate and some stealing ability on the bases (speed has less to do with it, I find). I am pretty successful with it, but I do get thrown out now and again. I don't really know if it is really exploitive to a huge extent.

Last edited by DFyvie; 04-21-2017 at 01:55 AM.
DFyvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:33 AM   #20
Painmantle
Hall Of Famer

Well, I like to test thing out when post like this are written. And so I did, and the very first attempt was

Harry Hooper thrown out at 3B, So much for that Theory!
“As soon as I got out there I felt a strange relationship with the pitcher's mound. It was as if I'd been born out there. Pitching just felt like the most natural thing in the world. Striking out batters was easy.” -Babe Ruth
“Ruth made a grave mistake when he gave up pitching. Working once a week, he might have lasted a long time and become a great star.”-Tris Speaker
My Dynasties
The Beantown Bambino
Painmantle is offline   Reply With Quote