Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - New to the Game?

OOTP 14 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the game, please come here!

Old 02-09-2014, 04:44 AM   #1
kingtut313
Minors (Double A)

Playoff rotations

is there any settings i can adjust to have the computer use 4-man rotations in the playoffs? every team uses a 3-man rotation. a few teams using 3 is ok but i would prefer it if the 4-man rotation was the norm
kingtut313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:11 AM   #2
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

What is your rotation setting for the regular season?

In my current league, I have 5 man rotation during the regular season, when the play-offs begin AI controlled teams all go to 4 man.

Not sure if the regular season setting has any bearing on this, but that is what I am seeing.

Note - I have not tried setting regular season to 4 man to see if the AI goes to 3 man in play-offs.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 02:05 PM   #3
kingtut313
Minors (Double A)

every team uses 5 in the regular season
Old 02-09-2014, 05:50 PM   #4
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
What is your rotation setting for the regular season?

In my current league, I have 5 man rotation during the regular season, when the play-offs begin AI controlled teams all go to 4 man.

Not sure if the regular season setting has any bearing on this, but that is what I am seeing.

Note - I have not tried setting regular season to 4 man to see if the AI goes to 3 man in play-offs.
Wait, really? How'd you manage that one? I have a standard MLB setup (so 5-man rotations) and I'm forced to set the AI's rotations myself every playoffs, because they default to 3-man rotations. It's something I've asked to be fixed for years now.
Fyrestorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:09 PM   #5
le receveur
All Star Starter

i found one way to move to 4-man, but this is likely not the answer you want, i made all series 7-game...
le receveur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:32 PM   #6
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm3 View Post
Wait, really? How'd you manage that one? I have a standard MLB setup (so 5-man rotations) and I'm forced to set the AI's rotations myself every playoffs, because they default to 3-man rotations. It's something I've asked to be fixed for years now.
Well, I didn't manage anything to be honest. It's a fictional league, and I just happened to notice it when I was checking rotations of play-off teams.

I always check to see if the AI is "resting" their ace (not starting him the last couple days) unless of course they need to.

I notice every year they are always set to 4 man when the season ends and play-offs are about to begin. Maybe it's just pure luck, because I don't change any settings.

Note - just noticed le receveur's post. My play-offs are 2 rounds, both are best of 7, so maybe that has something to do with it?

Last edited by Bluenoser; 02-09-2014 at 06:33 PM.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:52 PM   #7
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
Note - just noticed le receveur's post. My play-offs are 2 rounds, both are best of 7, so maybe that has something to do with it?
That's got to be it. Even in non-MLB setups, my first round is never 7 games. Maybe the rotation size is determined by the length of the first series? That would be weird, but it seems like it might be the case.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:38 PM   #8
kingtut313
Minors (Double A)

that is disappointing
Old 02-09-2014, 10:39 PM   #9
le receveur
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm3 View Post
That's got to be it. Even in non-MLB setups, my first round is never 7 games. Maybe the rotation size is determined by the length of the first series? That would be weird, but it seems like it might be the case.
pretty sure it's by the length of the actual serie. so if your first one is 5 game it's a 3-men, but if the next one is 7-game it changes to 4-men....
Old 02-09-2014, 11:33 PM   #10
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by le receveur View Post
pretty sure it's by the length of the actual serie. so if your first one is 5 game it's a 3-men, but if the next one is 7-game it changes to 4-men....
I've never seen it change, though. Granted, every playoff I've run in OOTP14 I've manually set every team's rotation, so it could have been changed for this release and I wouldn't have seen it. But I'm fairly certain that, in OOTP13, it was always locked into a 3-man rotation for me.

EDIT: Gonna run a test league and check.

Last edited by Fyrestorm3; 02-09-2014 at 11:39 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:04 AM   #11
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
FWIW, I'm pretty sure that's the way it is in v12 and v14. That's not how it should be, tho. The AI should, depending upon the era, do what RL managers do, which is set each rotation based upon various factors, including the health and rest status of the SP's, who's hot & who's not, off days during the series (which, unfortunately, are cookie-cutter in OOTP), SP's durability, and the depth of the starting staff. It should be dynamic, too, meaning that the playoff rotation would not be set in stone and could change, if, for example, the Ace leaves game one due to a minor injury and is able to throw in game three. Or that a three-man rotation could change to a four-man one if a team goes up three-games-to none.

Last edited by thehef; 02-10-2014 at 03:07 AM. Reason: clarity
thehef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:29 PM   #12
le receveur
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehef View Post
FWIW, I'm pretty sure that's the way it is in v12 and v14. That's not how it should be, tho. The AI should, depending upon the era, do what RL managers do, which is set each rotation based upon various factors, including the health and rest status of the SP's, who's hot & who's not, off days during the series (which, unfortunately, are cookie-cutter in OOTP), SP's durability, and the depth of the starting staff. It should be dynamic, too, meaning that the playoff rotation would not be set in stone and could change, if, for example, the Ace leaves game one due to a minor injury and is able to throw in game three. Or that a three-man rotation could change to a four-man one if a team goes up three-games-to none.

I agree, and in the last game your starter best starter who pitched 3 days ago should be available to come in in the 9th, (and give up a HR.. :-(.)...

playoff management is something that can get improvement...
Old 02-10-2014, 06:55 PM   #13
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I agree, and in the last game your starter best starter who pitched 3 days ago should be available to come in in the 9th, (and give up a HR.. :-(.)...
Yep

Quote:
playoff management is something that can get improvement...
Absolootely! It should be at or near the top of the list.
thehef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:36 AM   #14
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I just checked my league and it went to a 3 man rotation for the LDS. I 'll let ya know when I get to the LCS
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 04:21 AM   #15
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

It's starting the highest rested starter, which is usually a 3 man rotation in the playoffs due to off days.
bwburke94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:17 AM   #16
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtut313 View Post
is there any settings i can adjust to have the computer use 4-man rotations in the playoffs? every team uses a 3-man rotation. a few teams using 3 is ok but i would prefer it if the 4-man rotation was the norm

This is a high priority item. AI Teams using 3-man rotations is a big advantage to human players.

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:27 PM   #17
le receveur
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwburke94 View Post
It's starting the highest rested starter, which is usually a 3 man rotation in the playoffs due to off days.
so if it's the highest rested starter, why is it that on a 5-game serie the no.1 pitcher is rested for game 4, but on a 7-game serie he is not. Both series game 4 happen on day 5, same travel schedule.