Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 10-01-2019, 09:40 PM   #41
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

This conversation is really interesting in that I'm surprised so many people are against this. Isn't one of the tenants of our society the freedom to make money off of one's own talents? Why are people so intent on letting these corrupt institutions continue in such a manner?

I have heard about competitive balance being ruined? How? I mean the big ten was known for decades as the big 2 and the little 8 in college football. There is more balance now than there has ever been? (Thanks to the transfer portal in part)

The free education argument? Give me a break. These kids know full well that they are going to these places to play football or basketball. Even if they had an eye on a real education the school's won't allow the kids to take those classes because it takes away from the real reason they were brought in.

I'm not trying to be abrasive here, I am curious. What am I missing here that everyone is so against?

https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/showthread.php?t=326812
Hrycaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 10:55 PM   #42
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrycaj View Post

I'm not trying to be abrasive here, I am curious. What am I missing here that everyone is so against?
I'll answer for them: Fear of change.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 01:22 AM   #43
GeoWar
All Star Reserve

It is a team sport --- an individual maybe extremely talented but he can not do it by himself.
It takes two teams to make a game . So will this turn into "modeling" ?
Is a player at Cal Tech going to get as much as UCLA or USC player ?

What about the cost of going to school ?

If players (player) does not want to play "college" ball , then force the NFL to have a development program .

Texas Longhorns -- NCAA Champion - Baseball 2005

Oregon State Beavers -- NCAA Champion - Baseball 2006 and 2007

With unity comes VICTORY !
GeoWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 08:00 AM   #44
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

What business is it of ours that one player gets more money than another one? Hello??!! That happens in every occupation in life.

And I'll say it again cause it seems to not be getting into heads. COLLEGES IN CALIFORNIA STILL DON"T HAVE TO PAY ANYBODY. The "cost" remains the same.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 10-02-2019, 11:25 AM   #45
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Starter

What is all the fuss about? This California law won't take effect until 2023.

By which time it will be obsolete and of no effect.

Typical Californians, take credit for passing a 'law' that has no impact whatsoever on a serious current issue and bray on and on about how they 'did something'.

Sheesh, folks. This is Californians being Californians. Nothing to see here.
Old 10-02-2019, 03:36 PM   #46
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

I would love to see a breakdown by school and by conference detailing the "Full cost of attendance" stipend schools are now allowed to dole out. I read an article about a book written about Jim Harbaugh that talked about how when this was first put into effect, Big Ten schools determined a payment in the $2000's was adequate. In the meantime several SEC schools determined kids deserved 5000+. Would be interesting to see the differences by sport, conference, part of the country etc.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 04:46 PM   #47
Reed
All Star Starter

Ivy League base scholarships on the athletes financial needs. They get full, partial or no scholarships.
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 11:20 AM   #48
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Yahoo!Sports article showing this new law doesn't just affect football & basketball.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 10-03-2019, 01:43 PM   #49
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_The_Lip View Post
What is all the fuss about? This California law won't take effect until 2023.

By which time it will be obsolete and of no effect.

Typical Californians, take credit for passing a 'law' that has no impact whatsoever on a serious current issue and bray on and on about how they 'did something'.

Sheesh, folks. This is Californians being Californians. Nothing to see here.
Then why is the NCAA in full whiny mode?

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 02:53 PM   #50
Skipaway
Hall Of Famer

The law doesn't go far enough. It just tackles revenue outside of sporting events, but not the revenue of sports themselves.

There are ways to mitigate that. For example, allowing player unions to bargain for profit sharing. An opposite direction would be allowing schools to compete for players by enticing them with higher salaries. Obviously the teams are allowed to buy better coaches, not sure why they can't be allowed to buy better players.
Old 10-06-2019, 01:28 PM   #51
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Cobb View Post
The NCAA is not based in California, but Indianapolis. Indiana can claim sovereignty over them, no other state can. Black letter law.

Frankly, I'd welcome seeing California get blacklisted from the NCAA. Their preening social justice nonsense now pervades all the formerly politics free areas of life, and their penny ante attempts to blackmail other states into heeling to them is offensive, unconstitutional, and unintelligent...in my humble opinion.
Damn Social Justice Warriors

Quote:
A business school student at the University of Utah, junior Britain Covey recently pursued and was offered an internship in sales. Then the NCAA told the Utes wide receiver he couldn’t accept it.

A compliance committee for the organization that oversees collegiate athletics nationwide told Covey the position would violate its policy on athletes prospering from the commercial use of their name, image or likeness.

“I had to actually not take an internship because it was a sales internship and people [within the NCAA] wouldn’t be able to tell whether they were buying the product because I was a good salesman or because I was an athlete,” Covey said. “That was frustrating.”
https://www.sltrib.com/sports/2019/1...s-against-new/

Glad the NCAA is trying to protect their student-athletes from getting internships and furthering their careers.
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 03:53 PM   #52
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
Then why is the NCAA in full whiny mode?
they always are. What's your point?
Old 10-07-2019, 03:55 PM   #53
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Starter

Also, as written, this is all about endorsement money. It has been pointed out that very few athletes--and especially very few women--have endorsement deals that yield significant money.

Once, again, nothing substantive is happening here.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:17 AM   #54
Boomcoach
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_The_Lip View Post
Also, as written, this is all about endorsement money. It has been pointed out that very few athletes--and especially very few women--have endorsement deals that yield significant money.

Once, again, nothing substantive is happening here.
I actually think this is would be of significant benefit to non-revenue sports, both men and women. This is non necessarily about "endorsement deals" for big money, like we are think of for the few big names, it also would allow players to work at camps in the off-season and benefit from the camps using their name as promotion.

There are also a number players for the smaller sports that are well known in the local community.who would benefit, even if they don't get a 10 figure shoe contract.

The promoters of this bill have been forthright about hoping the bill never comes into effect, but rather that it is a prod to get the NCAA to move on the subject, rather than continue to hem and haw.

I recognize that your main point seems to be to diss on California, but I think this is a bill that will effect change and has certainly started the ball rolling in other states and within the NCAA.

Let's Go Crew
Boomcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 08:45 PM   #55
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

March 2015 John Oliver
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance