Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

View Poll Results: If Mike Trout stopped playing today, should he be in the HoF?
Yes 13 68.42%
No 6 31.58%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-03-2019, 05:29 PM   #21
AirmenSmith
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westheim View Post
There is little to no difference between those players.

And would people please refrain from posting stats tables without the column heads? I can guess what most of the stats are. Maybe. Way to have an educated discussion.
Sorry for the inconvenience you have been put through. May be better for you to find a thread that meets your higher expectations.

AirmenSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 05:32 PM   #22
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirmenSmith View Post
Sorry for the inconvenience you have been put through. May be better for you to find a thread that meets your higher expectations.
I just might. Given your Hall of Fame apparently consists of Babe Ruth, Joe DiMaggio, and Ted Williams, there is hardly a way to add anything anymore.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 05:38 PM   #23
AirmenSmith
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoofe View Post
I was gonna post something along the lines of Trouts only weakness is that he is on a team on the west coast that doesn't make the playoffs often

then I thought of Griffey Jr....
Right. Plus he went to the dead zone of Cincinnati. I agree there is typically an east coast bias but I never actually thought it occurred in baseball all that much. I guess I thought that because baseball is so big on states that popularity doesn't really impact much except the all star game.

AirmenSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 06:45 PM   #24
DustyElbows
Minors (Triple A)

Yes, Miguel Cabrera is roughly as good of a hitter as Mike Trout is (at least before his current decline phase). But Trout plays a much harder position and is very good at that position, while Cabrera is a mediocre-or-worse first/third baseman. Not to mention that Trout is an excellent baserunner, and Miguel Cabrera is, umm, not.
DustyElbows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 07:13 PM   #25
Splitter24
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirmenSmith View Post
The pictures here kind of show what i'm thinking about. When comparing these two players, the second is Trout, I look at it and say player one is by far the better player. (Defense aside for right now). That's what I mean by seasons that stand out.
But if you don't adjust for context, then you're going to come to the conclusion that all the players that play in the better hitting parks are also the better hitters. There's a reason Trout's career OPS+ is 25 points higher than Cabrera's. Over the last decade, Comerica has been a MUCH better hitter's park than Anaheim. And yes, a couple of points of that difference is because Miggy was old and injured for the last 3 seasons.

But if your combination of park adjusted On Base % and Slugging % is better as a CF than a perennial Triple Crown candidate 1B, steal 25-30 bases a year and are a pretty good defensive CF, then it's a no-brainer which player is better in every facet of the game. Put Trout in an average or better hitter's park and his raw numbers would be even better.

Currently Reading: The Sympathizer by Viet Thanh Nguyen

"Well, the game is afoot. I’ll take anal bum cover for 7,000." - "Sean Connery" SNL Celebrity Jeopardy

R.I.P. Tommy Holmes 1917-2008
Splitter24 is offline   Reply With Quote