Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 01-27-2018, 11:17 AM   #1
Chico Guilbault
All Star Starter

Finding the Perfect Game

I'm so excited looking forward to the latest version of the best baseball game ever. I decided to write about my lifetime journey looking for exactly that. Hopefully, you'll get some enjoyment reading it and maybe share a story or two of your own:

The Numbers Aren't Lying in Baseball

Many thanks to Markus and team for all that you do!

Last edited by Chico Guilbault; 01-28-2018 at 11:08 PM.
Chico Guilbault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 11:41 AM   #2
JaBurns
All Star Starter

I am on somewhat of the same quest as you; attempting to find my “perfect“ way to play this amazing game. Do not if I will ever find my definition of perfection but I am having a ton of fun trying and learning new computer skills. I am also learning more about baseball and players of over 100 years ago. Thanks to OOTP I plan to continue my search for many more years. Any suggestions or ideas are more than welcome.
JaBurns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 01:16 PM   #3
Chico Guilbault
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaBurns View Post
I am on somewhat of the same quest as you; attempting to find my “perfect“ way to play this amazing game. Do not if I will ever find my definition of perfection but I am having a ton of fun trying and learning new computer skills. I am also learning more about baseball and players of over 100 years ago. Thanks to OOTP I plan to continue my search for many more years. Any suggestions or ideas are more than welcome.
Do you use promotion/relegation? I can't tell you how much that has increased my enjoyment of the game.

Old 01-27-2018, 01:28 PM   #4
aslanking
Minors (Double A)

Can you institute promotion and relegation into an existing league?
aslanking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 01:43 PM   #5
Chico Guilbault
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslanking View Post
Can you institute promotion and relegation into an existing league?
That's basically what I did. I had my main league and 3 other independent leagues before the feature was available. I just converted the independent leagues to major leagues and set up promotion/relegation from there.

Old 01-27-2018, 06:29 PM   #6
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico Guilbault View Post
Do you use promotion/relegation? I can't tell you how much that has increased my enjoyment of the game.
I have promo/rel league in 18 with 3 divisions that I started but it has yet to “grab” me; currently my most enjoyment comes from historical random debut starting in 1901. I find myself restarting a new league often when I come up with my “latest and greatest” idea eventually the ideals settings will hit me, I hope, even if it takes me until OOTP XX.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:43 PM   #7
Chico Guilbault
All Star Starter

Quote:
I have promo/rel league in 18 with 3 divisions that I started but it has yet to “grab” me; currently my most enjoyment comes from historical random debut starting in 1901. I find myself restarting a new league often when I come up with my “latest and greatest” idea eventually the ideals settings will hit me, I hope, even if it takes me until OOTP XX.
I've been maintaining the same league and making changes on the fly to it for my perfection. The most recent thing I added was the historical random debut for my last draft class. I had to tweak some of the birth dates (ie. Satchel Paige) and add more fictional players to have enough, but I love it.

Old 01-27-2018, 11:39 PM   #8
lschaef
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
I realized that my goal of reading a biography of each U.S. president was going to have to wait.
I have that same goal, and it hasn't progressed very far...manly for the same reason.
lschaef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 03:33 PM   #9
Chico Guilbault
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschaef View Post
I have that same goal, and it hasn't progressed very far...manly for the same reason.
How far did you get? I made it to Benjamin Harrison (23) before switching to OOTP.

Old 01-28-2018, 04:10 PM   #10
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Already found an error in my “latest, greatest” idea, back to the drawing board. Trying a reset and start again the basic idea is still intriguing to me.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:46 PM   #11
lschaef
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
How far did you get? I made it to Benjamin Harrison (23) before switching to OOTP.
You made it much farther than I did! Only made it through Madison, but I know I'll pick it back up eventually. I found it very interesting to read about some of the same events through from different perspectives.
lschaef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:13 AM   #12
Chico Guilbault
All Star Starter

Quote:
I'm so excited looking forward to the latest version of the best baseball game ever. I decided to write about my lifetime journey looking for exactly that. Hopefully, you'll get some enjoyment reading it and maybe share a story or two of your own:

The Numbers Aren't Lying in Baseball

Many thanks to Markus and team for all that you do!
Proud to say a number of people have linked to the preorder page from my article...guess I had them convinced!

Old 01-29-2018, 10:25 AM   #13
texasmame
All Star Starter

Nice tale!

Yeah, it's all about the numbers. I played a Strat-like game in the mid-to-late 80s. Can't remember the name of it for the life of me.

Then, a friend introduced me to MicroLeague. No going back to the board.

After that, Baseball for Windows with the dulcet tones of Ernie Harwell infatuated me for years.

Now, OOTP is the standard by which all others are judged, to be sure!

As the defending NL West Champions, the SALMON fall to the wildcard Dakota Rushmores in the first round in seven games.
texasmame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 12:11 PM   #14
spartacus007
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
That's basically what I did. I had my main league and 3 other independent leagues before the feature was available. I just converted the independent leagues to major leagues and set up promotion/relegation from there.
I stopped doing promotion/relegation when I realized the records & Hall of Fame weren't shared. Had one of my favorite players relegated down just when he was about to get a career hits milestone
spartacus007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 06:46 PM   #15
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus007 View Post
I stopped doing promotion/relegation when I realized the records & Hall of Fame weren't shared. Had one of my favorite players relegated down just when he was about to get a career hits milestone
Did not know that thank you. Reset my “latest, greatest” with much foul language directed at the computer. Hope this works, using Tiger Fans setup from the Historical Forum with modifications.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:34 PM   #16
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Already found an error in my “latest, greatest” idea, back to the drawing board........
so i'm not the only one!
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 06:15 PM   #17
Chico Guilbault
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmame View Post
Nice tale!

Yeah, it's all about the numbers. I played a Strat-like game in the mid-to-late 80s. Can't remember the name of it for the life of me.

Then, a friend introduced me to MicroLeague. No going back to the board.

After that, Baseball for Windows with the dulcet tones of Ernie Harwell infatuated me for years.

Now, OOTP is the standard by which all others are judged, to be sure!
Was the other game APBA? I believe it had smaller cards than Strat...I think I played that for awhile too.