Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 03-27-2017, 11:12 PM   #1
Levistus
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Tony Thebo.. All World Calibur Pitcher?!?

Playing a historical career, and this guy popped up in the 1903 draft and was taken 1st over all. Historically he was a career Texas league outfielder with no bat. In ootp however:

...and he's not on my team of course =P

Last edited by Levistus; 03-27-2017 at 11:24 PM.
Levistus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 12:01 AM   #2
Levistus
Minors (Rookie Ball)

His follow up season was 27-10 , 0.96, 409k, .74 whip, 15.5 WAR

Only saving grace is that the team he's on otherwise sucks, and they finished only 4 games above 500 even with his efforts.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:10 AM   #3
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Are you using TCR? If so what is the TCR set? The wonders of this game, always makes it interesting......
JaBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 04:23 PM   #4
Levistus
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaBurns View Post
Are you using TCR? If so what is the TCR set? The wonders of this game, always makes it interesting......
Challenge mode, all default player creation settings.

I just traded my entire outfield and my 2 best starters for him before Detroit could figure out how to build around this guy. It'll be rough going because I made Detroit a powerhouse, but between Bill Dineen and Chick Stalh's age, and my knowledge of real world HoF'ers in the draft I figure I should be competitive with them in a couple seasons at worst.
Old 03-30-2017, 05:09 PM   #5
Dargone
Hall Of Famer

Welcome to OOTP! I will be following your thread closely. Historical replay is where it is at!
I was never one to patiently pick up broken fragments and glue them together again and tell myself that the mended whole was as good as new. What is broken is broken -- and I'd rather remember it as it was at its best than mend it and see the broken places as long as I lived.-Margaret Mitchell
Dargone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 01:46 PM   #6
Levistus
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dargone View Post
Welcome to OOTP! I will be following your thread closely. Historical replay is where it is at!
Oh, I'm hardly new, just new to the forums. I've been addicted to this game since 8.

I'm actually on my 3rd Historical run from this thread, I was just blown away by how good this guy is. I put it up in the Database error thread, but they said he was a good pitcher before his arm fell off, although that was Texas League not MLB (and I couldn't find any collaborative data on it myself)

In my current session he's the ace of a staff that includes Chief Bender and Walter Johnson and he's perennial MVP&CY Young. It's kinda silly, I'm actually hoping his arm falls off so I can get rid of him with out an outright revolt from the fan base. (although he's doing a hell of a job padding my Challenge mode stats)
Old 03-31-2017, 02:16 PM   #7
Levistus
Minors (Rookie Ball)

a quick aside...

I Traded Cincinnati Cy Young (1901 Award winner, 2 time allstar) as part of the package to acquire Thebo. Cy Young only pitched 14 innings for Cinci and then retired.
Old 03-31-2017, 03:38 PM   #8
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

Thebo has been toned down. BBref has a great many stat errors and this looks like another one.
Old 04-03-2017, 05:28 PM   #9
Levistus
Minors (Rookie Ball)

So Thebo is on the 18th hole and wrapping up his career of padding my Challenge mode stats. 5 Star pitcher until the final 2 years, His age 35 season he was only rated at 3 stars, and his age 36 season he maintained 1 star the entire season. I think he's a wizard or something, because he shouldn't be able to do what he's doing.

Old 04-05-2017, 06:58 PM   #10
Levistus
Minors (Rookie Ball)

...and in the true spirit of realism, he was NOT unanimously elected the the HoF. =D
Old 04-06-2017, 02:23 PM   #11
Warhawk
Major Leagues

Him and Danny Murphy have been tearing it up in my save. Murphy isn't as good as Thebo in terms of movement or control, but is an 80 stuff guy with an 80 fastball and is like a consistent 400+ K guy now.

Fortunately I'm in the AL, and they're both in the NL on teams with desperately bad hitting. I think Thebo is on the Giants and even he and Mathewson together can't pull them out of the cellar.

As long as they stay on that side of the fence I'm not gonna trade for either of them since the numbers are just silly (and I'm happy with my current rotation of Bender/Joss/Walsh/Brown and I just traded into a spot to take Johnson in the next draft).
Warhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 05:07 PM   #12
Levistus
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Murphy was outstanding in my run, but was trapped on the Boston NL team, and they were horrendous. Finished with a .500 win % and a 2.5 era and still got in the HoF though

Joss was a huge disappointment, completely fizzled out after the first season.
Old 04-06-2017, 05:52 PM   #13
Warhawk
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levistus View Post
Murphy was outstanding in my run, but was trapped on the Boston NL team, and they were horrendous. Finished with a .500 win % and a 2.5 era and still got in the HoF though

Joss was a huge disappointment, completely fizzled out after the first season.
I just checked after I got home from work, I was incorrect, it's Murphy who's on the Giants. They're in 5th place right now in early August in 1905 despite the fact that 3 of their pitchers have a sub-2.3 ERA and the fourth is at 2.89.

Thebo is on the Cardinals. He has a 1.03 ERA. He's 15-9.

As for my disappointments... I traded for Cy Young in early 1901, forgetting that I'm playing challenge mode (no recalc). He won his eponymous award that season, 30 wins with a 2.35 ERA. He was serviceable in 1902, 2.99 and 13-6 before a season ending injury. He went 16-17 with a 4.58 ERA for me in 1903.

Also, Red Ames is still sitting at 20/20 and I really don't have any hope of him suddenly lighting the world on fire. And Jimmy T. Williams went from hitting .327 with an .883 OPS and making the all-star game in 1902 to hitting .267 in 1903, I ended up trading him to the Cubs in a package for some draft picks and he's hitting .246 with an OPS a hair over .600 - and he's only 28.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:13 PM   #14
Levistus
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Cy Young is a die roll, I've had him be incredible until nearly 1909, and I've had him fall apart after a couple seasons.

He did get me my first Triple Crown Achievement though. It's funny, that as good as Sim-Young was, Real Life Young was actually better.

Then there's the story of Babe Ruth, the worlds first 40/40 man.

Last edited by Levistus; 04-06-2017 at 07:14 PM.
Levistus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:02 PM   #15
Warhawk
Major Leagues

Well, Thebo managed to drag the Cardinals to the world series by going on an 18-2 run with 12 complete game shutouts to end the season, got his third Cy Young in a row and third MVP in a row, and promptly went 0-2 losing twice to Bender (also a 3-time Cy Young winner) as we took it 4-1.

STRIKEOUTS AREN'T EVERYTHING TONY!

Last edited by Warhawk; 04-06-2017 at 09:33 PM.
Old 04-08-2017, 11:47 AM   #16
Warhawk
Major Leagues

Well, got back to the World Series the next year, this time playing the Giants and Murphy. Got off to a good start as Walsh (who was an absurd 34-3 with a 1.40 ERA) took a perfect game into the 8th and allowed 1 hit and no walks AND added a 2-RBI double to win 3-0. But Mathewson absolutely dominated us, going 3-0 against us and allowed 14 hits, 1 walk, and 1 run in 27 innings. 3-hit shutout against us in game 7, and Walsh fell apart as we lost 7-0. 133-21 on the season, over 900 runs (New York was second best at 591) and we got spanked by a great pitcher.

Last edited by Warhawk; 04-08-2017 at 11:49 AM.
Old 04-08-2017, 09:36 PM   #17
Levistus
Minors (Rookie Ball)

getting that ace pitcher in ootp makes all the difference, I have no problem trading entire all star outfields to get a true ace, even with the fan revolt it works out in the end.