Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 3 > Franchise Hockey Manager 3 - General Discussion

Franchise Hockey Manager 3 - General Discussion Talk about our latest hockey manager game, officially licensed by the NHL!

Old 10-29-2016, 07:34 PM   #21
Nino33
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyBelle View Post
I am ok with how it is, but I respect others have different opinions and that is perfectly fine.
I agree on both points; improvements occurs in increments and take time

Last edited by Nino33; 10-29-2016 at 07:36 PM.
Nino33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 07:41 PM   #22
SlyBelle
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nino33 View Post
I agree on both points; improvements occurs in increments and take time
Along the lines of GM influence, I do believe that exists in the NHL for sure.....is that modeled somehow in the game where I can strongly influence I want to see one player on the ice versus another? For example in Pitt, I want Murray to be the Goalie since at some point I likely will trade Fluery, he is not our future. But the computer always makes Fluery the goalie. Since I am in GM only mode, doesn't appear I can do anything to make the coach do this...best I could do is send Fluery away, but that's not the answer I am looking for.

Thoughts? I haven't seen a way to do this, unless I have over looked.
SlyBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 09:02 PM   #23
dmacgreg37
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nino33 View Post
The NHL AGM (who is "under" the NHL GM) is the GM of the AHL team.....you think the NHL GM's not ultimately in charge? I think the NHL GM is ultimately in charge (IMO NHL GM's are definitely going to be telling the AHL about lines/ice time.....it will likely usually be in "group discussions" but the NHL GM is the head honcho)
Yup, agree 100% with this. Almost all AHL teams are owned/run through their NHL affiliates. The AHL coach is often an employee of the NHL franchise, in fact. Darn right he's going to be listening to the NHL management about who is playing and how much.

There are exceptions, I know about 5 years ago, when the Canucks had their farm team in Chicago (then privately owned), that was a major bone of contention, in that several AHL vets played over the Van prospects.
dmacgreg37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 09:54 PM   #24
GMO123
Major Leagues

The NHL GM definitely has a lot of control and influence over AHL teams but the AHL coach is the person who sees the AHL team playing and practicing so the AHL coach has a lot of control and influence over the AHL team.

The NHL GM does sometimes tell the AHL coach which players to use or concentrate on or which areas to develop in a player.

In theory the NHL GM could tell the AHL coach what to do every day but the NHL GM is too busy with the NHL team plus if he has confidence in the AHL coach (and hopefully he does) he lets the AHL coach run the team as he (the AHL coach) wants. After all, the AHL coach knows the AHL team more than the GM does.

The AHL coach reports to the GM about the play and progress of players.

Last edited by GMO123; 10-30-2016 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Meant NHL GM, not NHL coach
GMO123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 10:57 PM   #25
AlpineSK
All Star Starter

Quote:
But I don't believe (could be wrong) the actual GM would specifically define the lines and tactics....yes, they might highly suggest a player needs to play more or in certain roles, but I don't think they would fill out the actual lineup cards. Again, I don't know all the leagues out there, so maybe some actually do...so I have no problem with them performing GM-like things, more concerned if you step over the boundary to coach duties.
Well, you'd think that they would hire a coach/coaching staff who would buy into the tactics and ideas of the organization. For example, many of those who coach at Albany are former New Jersey players, or were part of the organization.

That said, I agree 100% with Nino. If a 1st round left winger is playing at the AHL level, you can rest assured that the NHL GM would take exception to the AHL coach playing him as a 3rd line right winger. Or, if a top goaltending prospect is playing at the AHL level, many would have an issue with him spending all of his time on the bench behind a journeyman goalie who is there as an NHL insurance piece to ride the pine if one of the top two get hurt.

The "lock" feature from OOTP is key. We should be able to lock players into a level (AHL or ECHL) and be able to lock them into a position on he team and have the coach of that AHL/ECHL team build around them. Juniors? Don't care. That's a different world, but once they get into that true NHL pipeline, the NHL GM should have some level of influence over how that player is developed when it comes to position and ice time.

Its one of the those day to day operational things that this game should strive for.

2013 Boston Red Sox

Or my blogs:

http://www.medicsbk.com

The Sports Medic
AlpineSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 11:13 PM   #26
Nino33
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMO123 View Post
The NHL coach does sometimes tell the AHL coach which players to use or concentrate on or which areas to develop in a player
I don't think the NHL Coach is involved much at all, if at all

Quote:
In theory the NHL GM could tell the AHL coach what to do every day but the NHL GM is too busy with the NHL team plus if he has confidence in the AHL coach (and hopefully he does) he lets the AHL coach run the team as he (the AHL coach) wants. After all, the AHL coach knows the AHL team more than the GM does.
Maybe for a couple/few teams, otherwise I don't think any AHL Coach runs the team the way he wants it; in many/most cases the NHL AGM is the AHL team's GM (so the NHL GM can still focus on the NHL team); the AHL team's are usually owned and operated by the NHL team with their reason for existence being development, and I don't think the typical AHL Coaches have significant power or a significant independent say in things (like lines/icetime/tactics) at all

Quote:
The AHL coach reports to the GM about the play and progress of players.
I think it'd be the AHL GM reporting to the NHL GM

Last edited by Nino33; 10-29-2016 at 11:16 PM.
Nino33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 12:21 AM   #27
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

It is not uncommon for the Assistant GM of the NHL team to be the AHL GM at the same time. The AHL teams now are almost all owned by the NHL team - when they are not, they're are getting huge money for developing players for that NHL team. In other words, the NHL GM DOES have potentially major influence in players time and development today as the primary goal is to develop players - so if coaches aren't receptive to this they could be fired. But in most cases, there NHL coach does not get involved directly from what I've seen. The NHL do have Development coaches now though but again they would work with the AHL coach and not telling him what to do and who to play

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasberger View Post
The guys are trying to create something of a realistic management sim with FHM, where you actually have to overcome limitations and challenges similar to those that might be faced by real GM's.
I think it's more the case that it's not quite part of the development vision at the moment...in addition to a timing/priority thing. No GM is the head coach of the NHL team as well like Road to Glory includes so fun vs. realism in not a factor in this scenario.

Last edited by dave1927p; 10-30-2016 at 12:25 AM.
dave1927p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 03:54 AM   #28
AlpineSK
All Star Starter

But there are some fixes.

1. Create the lock/force feature.
2. Since that might take coding etc that peiple dont have time for use an already existing feature. Migrate the "manage minors" option from sandbox to PtG

In my PtG game Albany was playing Quenneville at RW and sitting Blackwood on the bench as the backup goalie so my top goaltending prospect was set to play 15-20 games. These are problems when it comes to player development.

2013 Boston Red Sox

Or my blogs:

The Sports Medic
Old 10-30-2016, 05:21 AM   #29
SlyBelle
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSK View Post
But there are some fixes.

1. Create the lock/force feature.
2. Since that might take coding etc that peiple dont have time for use an already existing feature. Migrate the "manage minors" option from sandbox to PtG

In my PtG game Albany was playing Quenneville at RW and sitting Blackwood on the bench as the backup goalie so my top goaltending prospect was set to play 15-20 games. These are problems when it comes to player development.
I would prefer something like #1 since I don't want to fill out actual lineups and such. And giving control to minors would not fully solve the problem since I think the issue exists with the NHL club as well when playing GM only mode. There are players I would want to start at that level to develop them or because I know I am going to be making future roster moves. Having some kind of influence/instruction to head coaches at all levels would be great but I know out of the possibility for a game nearing release at this point....hopefully next version
SlyBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 05:45 AM   #30
AlpineSK
All Star Starter

Quote:
I would prefer something like #1 since I don't want to fill out actual lineups and such. And giving control to minors would not fully solve the problem since I think the issue exists with the NHL club as well when playing GM only mode. There are players I would want to start at that level to develop them or because I know I am going to be making future roster moves. Having some kind of influence/instruction to head coaches at all levels would be great but I know out of the possibility for a game nearing release at this point....hopefully next version
Well, yes and no. While you dont want to fill out the entire lineup etc. at least you could "Auto Fill" and then plug your guy in where you want him to be. Since its a check box on Sandbox mode, I'd assume that whether you're in GM Only or GM Coach it would give you full oversite over the minors.

As far as having control over every level, IMHO it should be limited to AHL and ECHL. NHL teams dont have any control over the Junior teams so you might as well essentially maintain control over players that are at teams that your franchise has direct oversight over.

2013 Boston Red Sox

Or my blogs:

The Sports Medic
Old 10-30-2016, 06:53 AM   #31
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

The reason why it is not in career mode is, that we already have a clear vision of how it should work, but it is nothing we can add in a few days. One of the next priorities for the FHM universe going forward will be much better interaction between Coaches/GM´s/Team Owners/Players/Fans, which will cover this case. Another big priority will be much better options to handle your organization, which will also cover this case. Yes, it take a bit longer but ultimately the game will evolve into our vision over time and hopefully many people like it.
Old 10-30-2016, 03:44 PM   #32
GMO123
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian Palkowski View Post
The reason why it is not in career mode is, that we already have a clear vision of how it should work, but it is nothing we can add in a few days. One of the next priorities for the FHM universe going forward will be much better interaction between Coaches/GM´s/Team Owners/Players/Fans, which will cover this case. Another big priority will be much better options to handle your organization, which will also cover this case. Yes, it take a bit longer but ultimately the game will evolve into our vision over time and hopefully many people like it.
Great.
Will that be incorporated into FHM3 or a future version?
GMO123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 06:20 AM   #33
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Great.
Will that be incorporated into FHM3 or a future version?
I imagine future versions. Such complex additions cannot be added in simple patches / game updates, unfortunately.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 08:02 AM   #34
AlpineSK
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
I imagine future versions. Such complex additions cannot be added in simple patches / game updates, unfortunately.
So in FHM 3 I wont be able to instruct my AHL team to play a player more, or develop him in another position, or even in his proper position?

2013 Boston Red Sox

Or my blogs:

The Sports Medic
Old 10-31-2016, 12:09 PM   #35
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSK View Post
So in FHM 3 I wont be able to instruct my AHL team to play a player more, or develop him in another position, or even in his proper position?
I don't know if Sebastian & team have any plans for an update in this area. I know they will improve many areas of the game in coming patches, so maybe this kind of control is among that.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 12:10 AM   #36
Jeep91
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar8311 View Post
1) You can 'lock' players to a certain position, or in the case of hockey, to a spot in the lineup.
That's an awesome idea!
Jeep91 is offline   Reply With Quote