Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Historical Simulations

Old 08-27-2009, 01:49 PM   #1
ACESFAN 1
Minors (Double A)

Comments on My League

I just wanted to comment on the season I am playing. I am replaying the 1961 season and managing the Yankees. It is now the middle of July and Mantle jut hit HR # 18 and Maris is at 13. Meanwhile Rocky Colavito is leading the AL with 24. I would have thought that the M and M boys would run a little closer to their real like stats, any comments ?
ACESFAN 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:14 PM   #2
SteveP

Statistical probability tells you that the range of possible outcomes during a season for an individual player is quite wide -- wider than many people apparently think possible. A .250 hitter can easily have a .225 season or a .275 season. Or anything in between. It's the same with HRs or anything else.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 03:25 PM   #3
risp2out
All Star Reserve

Are you using 3-year recalc? '59-'61, Mantle's HR totals were 40-54-30 and Maris's were 39-61-33. With recalc, the middle year is likely to fall closer to the average of the three as I understand it.

Real-life Maris himself is evidence of how much seasonal variability there can be.
risp2out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 03:49 PM   #4
ACESFAN 1
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by risp2out View Post
Are you using 3-year recalc? '59-'61, Mantle's HR totals were 40-54-30 and Maris's were 39-61-33. With recalc, the middle year is likely to fall closer to the average of the three as I understand it.

Real-life Maris himself is evidence of how much seasonal variability there can be.
I guess not how do I do that ?
Old 08-29-2009, 02:37 AM   #5
risp2out
All Star Reserve

Game>Game Setup>League Setup>Options

There, you will see the option to use recalc and a choice as to whether you want to base the recalc on a 1-, 3-, or 5-year basis. If you choose 3 or 5, you also have the choice to double the value of the current year stats. So, to potentially get more from Maris in '61, you could choose 1-year recalc or double the value of '61 while maintaining a 3- or 5-year basis overall.

A more experienced historical simmer might be able to give you more depth of explanation, but that's something you can play around with anyway.
Old 08-29-2009, 04:58 AM   #6
ACESFAN 1
Minors (Double A)

Thank you for that tip I went and did the recalc and just finished playing a game and results were much better. In my league it is now the middle of August and the YANKEES are on a 7 game winning streak and trail the first place TWINS by only 5 games, thank heavens for the 162 game schedule that started in 1961. Oh bye the way when I changed the settings it was at 3 and I upped it to 5.

Last edited by ACESFAN 1; 08-29-2009 at 04:59 AM.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:40 AM   #7
risp2out
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACESFAN 1 View Post
Thank you for that tip I went and did the recalc and just finished playing a game and results were much better. In my league it is now the middle of August and the YANKEES are on a 7 game winning streak and trail the first place TWINS by only 5 games, thank heavens for the 162 game schedule that started in 1961. Oh bye the way when I changed the settings it was at 3 and I upped it to 5.
I haven't done it yet, but it would be interesting to run a season with recalc set at each of the three different levels and with it off and compare the results. Something tells me that a search on the forums might reveal that someone has done such an experiment (although, I don't know if anyone has with X yet.)