Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 06-13-2017, 12:37 AM   #1
henry296
All Star Reserve

Random Debut - Stat Distribution

Just finished the first season of a random debut league. I started with the year 2016 and the stat totals were good. However, the distribution across the players were odd. For example, I had 20 players hit 47 or more HRs including the 68 for the leader. However, my HR/AB was actually 1.7% below the historical rate.

Is this just an odd distribution of initial talent with more top-end talent with lots of journeyman filling up most of the spots.

I didn't calc the LTMs manually because I had the option checked, so I don't think that is the cause especially because the totals were ok.

Anything else that might contribute to such an odd distribution?

I'm going to sim next year just to see what happens.
henry296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 11:42 PM   #2
henry296
All Star Reserve

I ran another season and had similar output. I started a new league with the same setup. When I ran the auto-calc the HR value was 1.7 which lead to a player hitting 84 HRs. However, the league totals were very good and within an acceptable range.
Old 06-14-2017, 04:22 AM   #3
sprague
All Star Starter

It is be because first few years of a random debut league, there are not many star players in terms of ratings. So the stats get skewed with a few good players getting all the hits and especially home runs.
My suggestion is to cut down the number of teams year 1. If you want a 16 team league choose a year w 20 or 24 teams, then delete some before the draft. Helps balance out.

Or delete all the real players before the first inaugural draft, they will then all come in later in their first year, create fictional players aged like 26-33 and they will stick around for a few years till you have had enough drafts of real players to fill the teams.
sprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 10:47 AM   #4
henry296
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprague View Post

Or delete all the real players before the first inaugural draft, they will then all come in later in their first year, create fictional players aged like 26-33 and they will stick around for a few years till you have had enough drafts of real players to fill the teams.
Am I correct that this solution will result in those fictional players on the leaderboards?

If I simmed for 10 seasons or so and then deleted history, would those real players return?
Old 06-14-2017, 12:08 PM   #5
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

I always do like Sprague said and use a smaller setup than what the historical setup calls for. For example, I currently have a random league going that I started using 1978 as my start year. Once the league was formed, I deleted 6 teams to get down to 20 teams. I now have 2 10 team subleagues, no divisions. Doing this also allows for enough depth, so I can use the normal injury setting.

I've never been a huge fan of modern day random debut leagues, as I've always felt that offense is way too inflated, especially home runs when you move into modern ball. But, that's just my opinion. I also never use players from prior to 1901. I just don't like the way players from the 1800's translate to modern day, especially pitchers. Again, just my opinion.

As for deleting players and having them return. There is a forum member that says if you delete a player in the inaugural draft pool before he's ever drafted, the player will return later at his MLB debut age. For example, if you were to get a 38 year old Hank Aaron in the inaugural draft class, you could delete him prior to running the draft and he would randomly reimport in the future. I've never tested this, so I can't say it occurs for certain whether it works this way or not.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote