Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - General Discussions

OOTP 16 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2015 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 02-24-2016, 10:35 AM   #41
thirdsaint
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post
Your spreadsheets are so clean, they look great!

You are right with your questions. All rankings are fed from another sheet(s) in the workbook that calculates them. It's a gigantic workbook with many tabs, and is also fed by a separate file that houses modifiers I use for ratings. I use to have more spreadsheets, but had to give them up in the interest of time and wrist health, or OOTP began keeping track of them better than I could.

Draft file I no longer use
My team's yearly w/l records
Batter and pitcher rosters with rankings
Team schedule and scores

I can send you some of these, but it may be difficult to explain what I've done
Ha, those are awesome. You might be the spreadsheet king.

I do a yearly win-loss records for my team as well but it's not that extensive. Yeah, if you don't mind making just a blank template of that file for your team previews, maybe just leave one tab for a team. I probably wouldn't do the whole linking ratings from another tab thing but I like your structure for the team tabs that I can use and just plug in my own ratings. You've built that really well and it likewise looks clean.
thirdsaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 10:37 AM   #42
thirdsaint
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
LOL you should see how 100+ seasons of LTM spreadsheets and csv files turned into xlsx files look on my HDD. I know they can be deleted but maybe I need " computer hoarders anonymous".
Forget "Computer Hoarders Anonymous", we need a full-blown "OOTP Spreadsheet Anonymous" or just call it OOOTPD... "Obsessive OOTP Disorder".
Old 02-24-2016, 12:59 PM   #43
Bumstead
Minors (Double A)

As to the original post, make your league something that relates to something you are passionate about. I have an Indiana Baseball League. I put "MLB" teams in various towns around the state and then used the smaller towns surrounding as minor league teams. I also then did my best to find out what those cities "mascots" are/were. It was a long process to put together but I get completely immersed in the league. I have about 3 different leagues, so I go back and forth when I get bored with one of them, but the Indiana Baseball League is my favorite league.

Bum
Bumstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 01:19 PM   #44
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Spreadsheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasborn View Post
Speaking of spreadsheets, can some one show me one of there draft ones. All this talking about spreadsheets makes me want to redo my format. Thanks
If anyone posts spreadsheets I would like to look at them and probably incorporate them into my fictional league.

Any help would be appreciated; I used spreadsheets at work and found the best way to get them work was to yell at them, that usually brought some young person over to my office. They were probably thinking "What's that crazy old b****** doing now?" Then they would show me how to use a new tool in excel, word or whatever, once I learned I was good until I had to do something new then I would to yell again....

I spend far too much time on OOTP. Anyone think I have a problem?

Last edited by JaBurns; 02-24-2016 at 01:20 PM.
JaBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 01:27 PM   #45
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaBurns View Post
Any help would be appreciated; I used spreadsheets at work and found the best way to get them work was to yell at them, that usually brought some young person over to my office. They were probably thinking "What's that crazy old b****** doing now?" Then they would show me how to use a new tool in excel, word or whatever, once I learned I was good until I had to do something new then I would to yell again....
Ha. Funny. At my workplace, I'm that young person who looks after the crazy old b******s.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 02:00 PM   #46
RchW
Hall Of Famer

My obsession. Stat output and LTM.

I wish Markus would find a way to let me export LTM to a csv file so I didn't have to input manually with my wrist tendinitis. I made the lower right input without decimals to save keystrokes.

This is an old league circa v8 or v9 so some of the LTM are legacy huge.
Attached Images

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 02:06 PM   #47
Klew1986
Hall Of Famer

I built my fictional league from the very beginning. I am very anxious to get it going in OOTP17, where I will start fresh with the same fictional world. I have the map, logos and everything set.
Klew1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 04:18 PM   #48
cavebutter
All Star Starter

So, the derail from the OP's topic deserves its own thread.

After a quick check to make sure that no one's beat me to it, I will start one.

Logo Gallery
cavebutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 04:30 PM   #49
cavebutter
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honorable_Pawn View Post
Great stuff. I need to read that dynasty report. I saw it but didn't read it. Maybe you could bump it for old times sake?
It's the top link in my signature. I left off near the end of Ricky's playing career. I've thought about starting it up again, so as to not leave an unfinished story out there, but with work and a baby and a wife, I needed to prioritize my actual playing time over my dynasty. Real life...

Logo Gallery
cavebutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 04:47 PM   #50
thirdsaint
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klew1986 View Post
I built my fictional league from the very beginning. I am very anxious to get it going in OOTP17, where I will start fresh with the same fictional world. I have the map, logos and everything set.
Out of curiosity, why would you start all over in OOTP17? Unless you just want a fresh start of course but the best feature of OOTP is most certainly the ability to continue game saves over to the next version.
Old 02-24-2016, 04:47 PM   #51
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post
Your spreadsheets are so clean, they look great!

You are right with your questions. All rankings are fed from another sheet(s) in the workbook that calculates them. It's a gigantic workbook with many tabs, and is also fed by a separate file that houses modifiers I use for ratings. I use to have more spreadsheets, but had to give them up in the interest of time and wrist health, or OOTP began keeping track of them better than I could.

Draft file I no longer use
My team's yearly w/l records
Batter and pitcher rosters with rankings
Team schedule and scores

I can send you some of these, but it may be difficult to explain what I've done
do you hand type all that career data (career cell)? also, if they are individual cells you can manipulate/query the data in more ways.

you should look into setting the data up in a db, then make various report templates that query the data and fill everything in for you. absolutely no effort or work required after you set it up.

can do that in a spreadsheet too, but a db program will take less effort/time. if you are hand-typing anything in a spreadsheet, it can be set up better. all you should have to do is open it, and poof, it's updated and complete.

Last edited by NoOne; 02-24-2016 at 04:54 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 07:15 PM   #52
Rizon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
do you hand type all that career data (career cell)? also, if they are individual cells you can manipulate/query the data in more ways.

you should look into setting the data up in a db, then make various report templates that query the data and fill everything in for you. absolutely no effort or work required after you set it up.

can do that in a spreadsheet too, but a db program will take less effort/time. if you are hand-typing anything in a spreadsheet, it can be set up better. all you should have to do is open it, and poof, it's updated and complete.
The Draft spreadsheet with Career stats is one I don't use anymore (been maybe 5 years), but I did hand-type the numbers in at the end of each year. When I had only 7 round drafts this wasn't so bad, but at 25 rounds it wasn't so much fun anymore. Plus eventually OOTP began keeping track and displaying all that information better than I felt I could. So my spreadsheet became kind of redundant and obsolete.

The DB way is interesting (MS Access?). Do you have any examples with data so I can see it in action?
Old 02-25-2016, 12:34 AM   #53
Klew1986
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdsaint View Post
Out of curiosity, why would you start all over in OOTP17? Unless you just want a fresh start of course but the best feature of OOTP is most certainly the ability to continue game saves over to the next version.
I want a fresh start.
Klew1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 01:34 AM   #54
Curve Ball Dave
Hall Of Famer

To the original question, after a while every league becomes "fictional" after all the original players retire.

What keeps me interested in my leagues is what will happen next. OOTP is as much or more about will happen tomorrow as it is what is happening today. You simply do not know what will happen and that's reality. You don't know if your starting rotation will stay healthy, you don't know how your draft classes will pan out, you don't know if a star player will be willing to resign when he's up for free agency. All of these unknowns, and many more, are why I play and keep coming back. These are the things that keep me interested.

I intend on starting over when 17 comes out. My leagues are always a mixture of the current rosters plus stars (and not so much stars) from the past. So I like starting with a fresh set of rosters with the latest players from current real life, and with players from the past I may not have used before plus my favorites I always like to include. And best of all, I don't know what will happen.
Old 02-26-2016, 06:19 PM   #55
BKL
All Star Reserve

How do you guys stay interested in Fictional Leagues?

To keep me interested in the league, my team, and to get to know players well, I play out every game of my fictional team. Now that might seem like a lot of time to get through a season. But what I have done is developed and play an 80 game season. After 80 games you get good stats and the numbers can easily be gauged against real MLB by just doubling them (i.e. 25 HR would be about 50 in a 162 game schedule). Also, when I play out the games, I sim the first three innings, use RISP for the next three, and then one pitch mode thereafter. I can get to know players and teams very well, have the excitement of watching games unfold, and I'm able to get through a full season in about 3 weeks. I love playing this way I'm through 15 seasons in about a year. It's a great way to play.
BKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 11:52 AM   #56
wsenkow
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatenames View Post
I like to use all real teams in a modern setting but all fictional playerss. I essentially create an alternate reality. The league feels familiar but the expectations of performances no longer stand in the way. Best of both worlds in my opinion.
I have always played the ' MLB standard game' for the last four versions and only recently switched to the method you wrote about. Really is a fresh air experience and I regret not doing it earlier. I unchecked the inter-league play option, as well the DH rule. The game just feels more 'classic' to me, and the immersion is deeper.
wsenkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 09:43 PM   #57
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsenkow View Post
I have always played the ' MLB standard game' for the last four versions and only recently switched to the method you wrote about. Really is a fresh air experience and I regret not doing it earlier. I unchecked the inter-league play option, as well the DH rule. The game just feels more 'classic' to me, and the immersion is deeper.
Even better, for me at least, is to play with historical MLB and fictional players. I always start in 1901 and suffer through the Dead Ball Era, but as I move to mid-century, I really start getting into it. I agree: "The league feels familiar but the expectations of performances no longer stand in the way. Best of both worlds in my opinion."

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 12:41 AM   #58
Fardaza
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I've only had one league since I started playing OOTP in 2007. I used real teams and logos with fantasy players. I just finished 2047 and have had a blast!

I started as the gm of St. Louis and only recently retired at the age of 90. (See another thread about resigning as gm in OOTP 17 forum.) I really lucked out in the beginning when my starting shortstop was an 18 year old kid that could run, hit, and play defense. He hit around .300 every year and usually led the league in caught stealing, but he also stole around 60 bases too. And man, could he suck up some grounders in the field! When he got to be about 35, his skills started to drop fast, but he was still under contract for another couple years. I couldn't bear to trade him. I needed the roster spot, but I kept him on the bench anyway. In his final game he got 3 hits, and we were going to the Series! He retired with a career .300 average and was elected to the Hall of Fame.

In our second season in 2008, we signed a free agent outfielder that ended up hitting .400. When he got injured in late August, I almost had a heart attack. He came back off the DL in late September and still needed a few more Plate Appearances to qualify for the batting championship. He stayed healthy, got the PAs he needed, and we won our first World Series!

There are many more stories like that. I even have a soft spot for certain players that either played for me and left in free agency, or rivals that were great and earned my respect.

I put the game away every 6 months or so. When I come back, I remember all the names of the key players and get sucked right back in.

Don't know if I'll ever bother to start a new league. This one's too dear to my heart.
Fardaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 12:41 AM   #59
old fat bald guy
Minors (Triple A)

Yeah, it doesn't take too long before the fictional players get real.

Somebody signed Bill Carr to another big contract? He doesn't even have a fielding rating at any position anymore! Did the New Orleans Democrats forget this is a non-DH league?
old fat bald guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 11:07 AM   #60
Cadieux39
Minors (Single A)

I always get a kick in my fictional league when players with real names pop up randomly.

I drafted Mariano Rivera... not not the pitcher. A below average SS from Cuba

I also got a chuckle to see Sidney Crosby (Hockey) as a catcher and Phil Jackson (Basket Ball) in centre field. Actually Jackson might be old enough in real life to have played in my league in the 50's 60's
Cadieux39 is offline   Reply With Quote