Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-01-2019, 05:45 PM   #21
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph3 View Post
I doubt OOTP’s AI would accept a trade for Harper unless you retained 30-50% of that salary. 13 years is crazy. I doubt he’s playing at 39, much less with the Phillies.
oh i'm sure it'll be painful. not saying it has to be year 1 either. i'd have to get some use out of him first. i'd do it in a way that doesn't make it a long drawn out financial burden. i'd rather take my lump in one big dose than spread out.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 06:12 PM   #22
Mike D
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by grall1126 View Post
Waste of money for an overrated player and a ME generation person. I am glad the Mets told him to go away.
: laugh::l augh::la ugh:
Old 03-01-2019, 06:13 PM   #23
Mike D
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by low View Post
Regardless of the contract, I just wouldn't want his toxicity in the clubhouse. Let's be real here; the guy is a grade A D-bag. I really, really want this whole thing to backfire on Philly. Have fun with his .240 batting average and team-killing attitude.
Didn't realize you played with him in Washington.
Old 03-01-2019, 06:38 PM   #24
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
Harper's injuries is what's overrated 10 less innings than trout over the last 4 years played.

No one says anything about trout and injuries.

Perception is everything.
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 06:50 PM   #25
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Mike Trout's career OPS is 90 points higher than the Phillies' pholly's, who is WAY overrated.

...and engaged in a choking match with Jonathan Papelbon during the Gnats' 2015 collapse in favor of the Mets. Those two were made for another.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 07:07 PM   #26
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Papelbon has never been liked by any team mate he ever had. Fact

Harper's again career woba .382 wrc+ 140
Trout woba 417 wrc+ 170

But when trout hits the market he will be asking for 40 mill a year not the 25 Harper got. Big difference.

Harper at citizens Bank in the humid summer he might hit 50 hr thus year. He will destroy that park.
Old 03-01-2019, 08:12 PM   #27
jaa36
Hall Of Famer

I was playing as the Phillies recently and here's where Harper ended up in 2025 after signing with the Red Sox for seven years, $197 million. He won the MVP in 2018 (preceding that deal) and 2019 (first year of deal). 30 WAR over the life of the contract, which wouldn't be a TOTAL calamity for the Phillies even if you got nothing over the last eight years. No major injuries, he just kinda crumped out at age 31.

I traded for Trout heading into 2020 and signed him to a six-year extension worth $210 million; he's provided 36 WAR thus far so I guess that's worked out pretty well.

As a Phillies fan, I'll go on record as saying I'm pleased with the real-life Harper deal and I think on balance it will be good for the team. Let's check back in 13 years and see how things turn out.
Attached Images
jaa36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 10:46 AM   #28
NYYGardner11
Bat Boy

Definitely agree that playing with the Phillies will be interesting this year. (That contract is a nightmare/ticking time bomb IMO.) A couple weeks ago, when it looked like the Phillies were really becoming the favorites, I fired up OOTP 1 9save with them and signed Harper in the first offseason. It was an expensive deal but I included an opt out or two. I may have signed Manny Machado in the same offseason or the next one. Either way, in 3+ seasons with both on the team, we didn't win any championships and barely had any playoff success. Good luck, y'all lol.
NYYGardner11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 12:50 PM   #29
wallewalls
All Star Reserve

It certainly makes my planned Marlins save more interesting

And while OOTP cant really do 13 year deals, i know they have a workaround where its a 10 year deal plus a 3 year extension to make it effectively a 13 year deal. Thats how they do it with Stanton's deal anyway
wallewalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 06:06 PM   #30
dpd376
Minors (Double A)

I might run one experiment with him and one where I go into commish mode release him and save and hope Trout's available next off-season. And then I will get very, very confused, which is how I am as a Phillies fan right now anyway.
Old 03-03-2019, 04:00 PM   #31
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

we aren't talking about trout... if he is injury prone, that is a separate matter that would be assess in a similar manner as assessing harper's injury history.

also, averages tell nothing of volatility. i can find 3 players with a ~380woba and they could be drastically different from each other as far as year-to-year and game-to-game consistency.

in ootp, i'd definitely sign him for that money.... not in RL. he's much better in the game, because he's predictiably amazing due to his ratings.

also, i doubt it's a ~10inning difference between trout and harper. just look at the # of games played. also, trout's numbers are what consistency looks like, in case that was a foreign concept, too.

drastic difference... clearly visible in the stats after 7 and 8 years. one is well worth top dollar... one is 50/50 depending on the year. you know... consistency. not once has harper had back to back seasons of even ~140+ games played. he's a gamble at the high-end.

even so, he may go on a tear for a long time and be amazing... not denying that... but that's hopes and wishes. you can only work with the information on hand, and it clearly points toward a large gamble than you should take for ~25-30M a year. a mistake liek that ruins your franchise for 13 years.
Attached Images

Last edited by NoOne; 03-03-2019 at 04:02 PM.
Old 03-03-2019, 05:51 PM   #32
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

It averages to 25 million a year only 4 million more than Nationals contract.

Every all star you will have to eat Monday on the back end. There is no avoiding that.

But now Phillies have enough money to still sign Trout as a free agent. He will def be coming home to finish his career.

25 million for all star MVP in today's market is chump change
Old 03-03-2019, 10:35 PM   #33
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Harper Jersey just set the initial 24 hour offering for any sports Jersey ever not just baseball all sports
https://sports.yahoo.com/bryce-harpe...232229890.html

Wouldn't have happened if he signed anywhere else in the country.

Also sold over 200,000 tickets in 1 day. Even if the Phillies waste 100 million on him they certainly will make tons of profit over that possible loss.

Oh and Harper was in constant contact with trout since October about Philadelphia. Both players confirmed. Harper already recruiting other sports players to come to Philly .

Nfls rb bell posted a dm from Harper telling him to sign with the eagles. All of this in first 3 days of signing. If Phillies are playoff team for next 2 out 3 years and Harper top all star. Telling you no way trout is not coming too.

Last edited by jimmysthebestcop; 03-03-2019 at 10:38 PM.
Old 03-05-2019, 01:42 PM   #34
GlennN
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by low View Post
Regardless of the contract, I just wouldn't want his toxicity in the clubhouse. Let's be real here; the guy is a grade A D-bag. I really, really want this whole thing to backfire on Philly. Have fun with his .240 batting average and team-killing attitude.
So, Manny Machado, with his admitted opposition to giving full effort, is fine, but Harper has a team-killing attitude? I agree 13 years is a long time, and like the Pujols deal, the Phillies know they'll have an albatross in the later years of the deal, but this is a good deal for this team. The distribution of money allows the team to complete a competitive roster around him. He certainly makes the team better, and cost no players to acquire. What would have benefited the Phillies more? Just sitting on the money they had to spend?
GlennN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 01:55 PM   #35
low
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennN View Post
So, Manny Machado, with his admitted opposition to giving full effort, is fine, but Harper has a team-killing attitude? I agree 13 years is a long time, and like the Pujols deal, the Phillies know they'll have an albatross in the later years of the deal, but this is a good deal for this team. The distribution of money allows the team to complete a competitive roster around him. He certainly makes the team better, and cost no players to acquire. What would have benefited the Phillies more? Just sitting on the money they had to spend?

I never said that. And last I checked this thread was about Harper and the Phillies.

Last edited by low; 03-05-2019 at 01:58 PM.
low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 04:17 PM   #36
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

and, the problem isn't now... it's the last 10 years on the 50 year contract...
Old 03-05-2019, 04:57 PM   #37
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
and, the problem isn't now... it's the last 10 years on the 50 year contract...
Phillies will make so much money off of Harper early on it will be insane.

Harper Jersey already has beat out Lebron for #1 selling launch Jersey ever.

Do you know how big of an upset that is for a MLB player? No MLB player has had the power in a decade+ to compete with NBA or NFL superstars. Now you have Harper beating out Lebron the biggest superstar on the planet sales record.

Only the Philadelphia fan base is rabid enough to create that accomplishment for a MLB player. Harpers jersey was barely in the top 15 of MLB only Jerseys while he was in DC. Now he is #1 in all sports.

Phillies already had to raise ticket prices because they were selling 100k tickets every day since signing Harper. Any profit they lose in end of contract they will have made 5x as much on his early contract.

If San Fran, LA, DC signed him nothing would have happened in terms of sales/popularity with those franchises. His jersey wouldnt be number #1 of all time and and hundreds of thousands of extra tickets wouldn't have been sold in the first week. The Phillies will make huge profits off of him.

And Harper not wanting to win Doc's #34, that alone will sell bundles of tickets in Philly.

Last edited by jimmysthebestcop; 03-05-2019 at 05:00 PM.
Old 03-06-2019, 02:57 PM   #38
rdrj427
Bat Boy

They ran out of "r"s in the team store they sold that many jerseys.
rdrj427 is offline   Reply With Quote