Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - Historical Simulations
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 03-31-2018, 09:37 AM   #1
Radsmats
Minors (Double A)

Initial thoughts / deadball OFers

After about a three-year hiatus I picked up OOTP again. It's much better from a what / if historical perspective (by better read easier to use tools to create / modify what I want to play).
Does anybody know of a quick start that tunes down dead-ball OF stats?
In my first random-era draft I notice that there are still a plethora of (mostly corner) OF who hit .280+, run like deer and play brilliant OF. For comparison, one of the teams has Brett Butler and he's the third-fastest, third-rated defensive OF on the team.
Click through on most of these supermen and they played a couple of / several seasons in the 1800s. Now it's possible every LF in 1885 played defense like Tris Speaker but given that they all seemed to hit .300 it seems likely that they were a little less godlike IRL (because how do you hit .300 if there are three Tris Speakers in the OF) and if I want a game with more balance I might want to turn them all down a bit. Just wondering if anybody else had done that particular piece of heavy lifting and saved it somewhere ...
Thanks!
Radsmats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 12:02 PM   #2
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radsmats View Post
After about a three-year hiatus I picked up OOTP again. It's much better from a what / if historical perspective (by better read easier to use tools to create / modify what I want to play).
Does anybody know of a quick start that tunes down dead-ball OF stats?
In my first random-era draft I notice that there are still a plethora of (mostly corner) OF who hit .280+, run like deer and play brilliant OF. For comparison, one of the teams has Brett Butler and he's the third-fastest, third-rated defensive OF on the team.
Click through on most of these supermen and they played a couple of / several seasons in the 1800s. Now it's possible every LF in 1885 played defense like Tris Speaker but given that they all seemed to hit .300 it seems likely that they were a little less godlike IRL (because how do you hit .300 if there are three Tris Speakers in the OF) and if I want a game with more balance I might want to turn them all down a bit. Just wondering if anybody else had done that particular piece of heavy lifting and saved it somewhere ...
Thanks!
Markus recommends skipping the 19th century altogether with random debuts. I disregard his advice and accept these gods (have you seen the pitchers? Whoa!) as they are. He recommends setting your years for players from 1901 through 2017 because of the phenomenon that you're noticing. Who knows maybe these dudes were great relative to their contemporaries and therefore deserve superb ratings, but I rather doubt it. I don't think anybody's done the sort of work you're looking for but you never know. Maybe try advanced search here, or Google OOTP plus whatever you want to know. Sorry I can't be of more help.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 12:17 PM   #3
Radsmats
Minors (Double A)

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
Markus recommends skipping the 19th century altogether with random debuts. I disregard his advice and accept these gods (have you seen the pitchers? Whoa!) as they are. He recommends setting your years for players from 1901 through 2017 because of the phenomenon that you're noticing. Who knows maybe these dudes were great relative to their contemporaries and therefore deserve superb ratings, but I rather doubt it. I don't think anybody's done the sort of work you're looking for but you never know. Maybe try advanced search here, or Google OOTP plus whatever you want to know. Sorry I can't be of more help.
Thanks for the tip ... it's a good start. I'll have to poke around for that setting and restart. And yes, I've seen the pitchers. You should see my rotation. Two 1800s studs, Bob Walk and pray for rain. And I don't mind a little drizzle on Bob's days. Walk is supposed to be his surname, not his to-do list.
In previous versions I downloaded the data file into Excel, searched for everybody with speed / defense over certain limits and rewrote much lower numbers for everybody I didn't recognize (so the Cool Papa Bells of the world stand out as exceptional), then re-imported the data file. I might poke around with that again ... or just take Marcus' advice, which would be much, much easier.

Last edited by Radsmats; 03-31-2018 at 01:38 PM.
Radsmats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 12:24 PM   #4
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radsmats View Post
Thanks for the tip ... it's a good start. I'll have to poke around for that setting and restart. And yes, I've seen the pitchers. You should see my rotation. Two 18-century studs, Bob Walk and pray for rain. And I don't mind a little drizzle on Bob's days. Walk is supposed to be his surname, not his to-do list.
In previous versions I downloaded the data file into Excel, searched for everybody with speed / defense over certain limits and rewrote much lower numbers for everybody I didn't recognize (so the Cool Papa Bells of the world stand out as exceptional), then re-imported the data file. I might poke around with that again ... or just take Marcus' advice, which would be much, much easier.
Game > Game Settings > League Settings > Historical > Historical Rookies Settings

There are two checkboxes there and an option to select minimum and maximum years. Set minimum to 1901, and set maximum to either no maximum or 2017.

I'm just too damn inclusive to rule anybody out. If I set it from 1901 to 2017, I'm barring Cap Anson, Harry Stovey, Pete Browning etc etc etc, and I just can't do that.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 05:21 PM   #5
italyprof
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Game > Game Settings > League Settings > Historical > Historical Rookies Settings

There are two checkboxes there and an option to select minimum and maximum years. Set minimum to 1901, and set maximum to either no maximum or 2017.

I'm just too damn inclusive to rule anybody out. If I set it from 1901 to 2017, I'm barring Cap Anson, Harry Stovey, Pete Browning etc etc etc, and I just can't do that.
Yeah, I always agonize over that choice. The main problem for me are not those guys but the 1880s-1890s pitchers. They are like aliens from another planet. I do like having the 1870s players. But you can do that - just set one or two or so of the draft classes to minimum and maximums of 1870 to 1880 or whatever to get those guys.
italyprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 02:20 PM   #6
warneke
Minors (Single A)

Quote:

I don't have a problem not using them. Also, I usually start in **1902** rather than 1901, that way I dont have Lajoie's .426 average impacting the whole league history/replay; I consider Lajoie's .426 a 19th century average; the second highest BA in '01 was 50 points lower. Also, in general, I avoid the 19th century players--unless I am playing only 19th century baseball. They are too godlike for me compared to "normal" players, or "normal era" players.

Last edited by warneke; 04-06-2018 at 02:24 PM.
warneke is offline   Reply With Quote