Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 08-11-2017, 04:17 PM   #1
Jerry Helper
Major Leagues

Historical Events

Would anyone on here like the game to mention major historical events happening in the world? I was thinking very rarely. I'm simming the 1968 season right now and I thought it would be interesting to have all games canceled for a day after stuff like MLK and RFK's assassinations. Maybe no one else cares and the gameplay obviously doesn't suffer because of it. Just curious if anyone else ever thought about it
Jerry Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 02:55 PM   #2
BrianSul
Minors (Rookie Ball)

R.F. K stadium

I notice when playing against the 1963 Washington Senators that their home stadium was referred to as R.F.K. stadium. Which wasn't the name in 1963.
BrianSul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 04:09 PM   #3
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

This is something that I've suggested in the past, and it can be done with storylines right now. The problem, though, is that not everyone who plays historical plays "historical" - i.e. they play in an alternate history where those events may not have happened. Also, I wonder if gamers want even more messages crowding their inboxes.

Anyway, as I mentioned, the framework is in place right now to do it. What's needed is for the OOTP community to demand it.
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 07:22 PM   #4
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Honestly I'd much rather see headlines than scouting reports of some team I've already played 4 series against.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 09:07 AM   #5
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

What I've suggested in the past (or maybe I just imagined I suggested it - I find it difficult to keep track of the difference sometimes) is that the game contain a check-box that says something like "real history enabled." If checked, the game would not only allow for historical event storylines and news items, as suggested here, but also could factor into the financial model (e.g. salary cuts during economic depressions).
Old 11-11-2017, 12:30 PM   #6
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Im not sure.
It sounds more cosmetic than useful.
We already have players missing seasons to simulate war years.
What difference does it make if the canceled games are made up?

Im not opposed to it. I just see it as more cosmetic. It would be fun to
see world headlines but i would rather it be history of former players in my league. In a historical baseball game id rather see news of say Ted Williams passing than JFK'S. I know JFK was more important in history but in baseball he wasn't.

Would be cool to see the advertisements of the day but ootp might need permission. I don't mean like web pages where it pops up in the middle but just like at the bottom of newspaper.

Still i'm not against it if its something easy to do.
BaseballMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 07:56 PM   #7
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

Wait just a doggone minute. JFK, RFK, MLK and Elvis are all living on an island in the Pacific along with Michael, Marilyn and a bunch of Greys. Or so I have been told by a trusted source.
Old 11-11-2017, 08:19 PM   #8
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritze View Post
Wait just a doggone minute. JFK, RFK, MLK and Elvis are all living on an island in the Pacific along with Michael, Marilyn and a bunch of Greys. Or so I have been told by a trusted source.
i knew it. i heard the same rumors and foolishly dismissed them.
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 10:07 PM   #9
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Helper View Post
I'm simming the 1968 season right now and I thought it would be interesting to have all games canceled for a day after stuff like MLK and RFK's assassinations.
You can get something like that by using the as played MLB schedules, which include postponed and rescheduled games. (Though you sometimes won't have clubs all playing the same number of games since the corresponding real-life clubs may not have.)
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 10:10 PM   #10
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballMan View Post
What difference does it make if the canceled games are made up?
[pedant] Postponed games are made up. Cancelled games are not. [/pedant]

Less nitpickily (is at a word?), note that OOTP should not automatically be making up all postponed games (especially in the minors), since that doesn't always happen in real life (especially in the minors).
Old 11-11-2017, 11:54 PM   #11
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
[pedant] Postponed games are made up. Cancelled games are not. [/pedant]

Less nitpickily (is at a word?), note that OOTP should not automatically be making up all postponed games (especially in the minors), since that doesn't always happen in real life (especially in the minors).
Yeah thats true. I guess a big event could affect a playoff birth but i wouldn't want canceled games to happen more than they did for real.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:33 AM   #12
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Im not sure.
It sounds more cosmetic than useful.
Oh, it would be incredibly useless. I mean, if you're replaying the 1912 season, do you really need a news story telling you that the Titanic sank? As others have mentioned here, about the only way these sorts of events would have an impact on your league is if the event led to the cancellation of games. For instance, Warren Harding died on August 2, 1923, and major league baseball cancelled all games on August 3. Apart from those rare occasions, though, the news stories would just be there to add some historical flavor to your gaming experience.

Quote:
Still i'm not against it if its something easy to do.
Right now, all that's needed is for someone to write the news items.
Old 11-12-2017, 01:24 PM   #13
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromchicago View Post
Oh, it would be incredibly useless. I mean, if you're replaying the 1912 season, do you really need a news story telling you that the Titanic sank? As others have mentioned here, about the only way these sorts of events would have an impact on your league is if the event led to the cancellation of games. For instance, Warren Harding died on August 2, 1923, and major league baseball cancelled all games on August 3. Apart from those rare occasions, though, the news stories would just be there to add some historical flavor to your gaming experience.

I agree. How many times has all games on scheduled day been canceled. There is so many world events every year it might clutter the baseball news.
Personally i would rather have more baseball news.
Old 11-12-2017, 02:39 PM   #14
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I guess a big event could affect a playoff birth...
Playoff berth. [/sorry, another nitpick]

Quote:
...but i wouldn't want canceled games to happen more than they did for real.
Depends on what you mean here. There's nothing necessarily wrong with letting OOTP's engine determine dynamically when games are postponed and rescheduled. The shortcoming is that OOTP always reschedules every postponed game, which is inaccurate (especially so for the minor leagues). One of the unique features of baseball as a professional sport is that it allows clubs to sometimes not play out their full, originally intended schedule.

MLB clubs rarely fail to play out their full schedule these days, but it certainly was more common in the past.
Old 11-12-2017, 02:41 PM   #15
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I agree. How many times has all games on scheduled day been canceled.
See this page at Retrosheet. It gives a summary of all the reasons for which games have been postponed. By going through the individual schedule files you could then determine the exact answer to your question. (It would be a low occurrence.)
Old 11-12-2017, 04:13 PM   #16
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
Playoff berth. [/sorry, another nitpick]

Depends on what you mean here. There's nothing necessarily wrong with letting OOTP's engine determine dynamically when games are postponed and rescheduled. The shortcoming is that OOTP always reschedules every postponed game, which is inaccurate (especially so for the minor leagues). One of the unique features of baseball as a professional sport is that it allows clubs to sometimes not play out their full, originally intended schedule.

MLB clubs rarely fail to play out their full schedule these days, but it certainly was more common in the past.
That's why i don't write the newspaper accounts. I would need a good editor.
What if newspaper reports were written in the way the people spoke in that day? I wish there was a account of the year like Sport's Encyclopedia of Baseball book or the summary when you create a historical league.
Old 11-13-2017, 04:55 PM   #17
Jerry Helper
Major Leagues

Quote:

Right, it isn't a feature that is important in terms of gameplay. But frankly, neither is historically detailed 3D stadiums. And a lot of us really like those. It would just be to enhance personal enjoyment. That's all
Jerry Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 10:34 AM   #18
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Helper View Post
Right, it isn't a feature that is important in terms of gameplay. But frankly, neither is historically detailed 3D stadiums. And a lot of us really like those. It would just be to enhance personal enjoyment. That's all
Agree whole heartily; I would think this would add to the immersion immensely.
JaBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 10:40 AM   #19
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Quote:
What I've suggested in the past (or maybe I just imagined I suggested it - I find it difficult to keep track of the difference sometimes) is that the game contain a check-box that says something like "real history enabled." If checked, the game would not only allow for historical event storylines and news items, as suggested here, but also could factor into the financial model (e.g. salary cuts during economic depressions).
This is a great idea, the toggle on/of, gives people the option of playing with historical events or living in a different historical world. I wonder if not using real historical events could you have random catastrophic events that change the league/world?
JaBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 11:49 AM   #20
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Or they could have multiple events for each year. Either way you are probably gonna go through them all eventually. After that I don't know how much of the immersion still works.
I'm not against it as long as it doesn't come at the cost of more needed things for the game.