Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - In-Game Text and PbP Commentary
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2006, 12:44 AM   #21
jbsnadb
All Star Starter

Another overambitious centerfielder:

[229-11952] into left...straight down the line...
[239-14261] Herrera (LF) is on the move...Paquette (CF) is also after it...

The CF should be nowhere near a ball down the LF line. MAYBE the 3B, but most definitely not the CF.

Ran into this again with [239-14271] where the RIGHT fielder went after a ball down the left field line.

Last edited by jbsnadb; 06-19-2006 at 01:15 AM.
jbsnadb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 01:01 AM   #22
jbsnadb
All Star Starter

Finally found the double play line that's been driving me nuts:

[246-12335]...tags him for the double_play...

Needless to say (but I'll do it anyway) there should be no "_" between the words double and play.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:51 AM   #23
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsnadb
Guess I'm the only one working on this...oh well!
And you're doing an excellent job. Looks like you've found your calling.
Old 06-19-2006, 02:08 AM   #24
jbsnadb
All Star Starter

There's another instance of the CF calling himself off:

[241-5592]

This is a different set of text from the same catagory as the one above.
Old 06-19-2006, 02:08 AM   #25
jbsnadb
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by endgame
And you're doing an excellent job. Looks like you've found your calling.
It's called "I have a boring overnight job that allows me PLENTY of time to diddle with the game on my laptop..."

And play OOTP too!
Old 06-19-2006, 02:13 AM   #26
M's rule
All Star Reserve

jbsnadb,

I've been keeping up with your fixes, at least the ones I can do something about. Here's a list, by post number, of the text problems I took care of by editing the database: 3, 5, 6, 14, 15, 16, and 17.

Here's a list of problems I couldn't fix, because they seem to be coding problems (as you put it) rather than errors in the database: 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 18, 19, and 21.

(Aside to Steve: Should I take care of getting these into TT?)

About post 20: One of our PbP writers must have been channeling Hawk Harrelson, who's been using that catchphrase since 50 Cent was a dime.

About post 22: I can't find any text in the database that reads "tags him for the double play" (with or without the underline character), so this must be a piece of text that's hard-coded. Text entry #12335 in the database reads simply "snares it..." (used when a fielder catches a fly ball). That seems a little mysterious, but there you have it.
M's rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 02:14 AM   #27
jbsnadb
All Star Starter

A line in need of an (nl):

[302-12668] and he got such a great jump, (catcher) doesn't even risk a throw...a stolen base for (runner)...

THe runner's name got cut off in my example, the line should be split.
Old 06-19-2006, 02:28 AM   #28
M's rule
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsnadb
A line in need of an (nl):

[302-12668] and he got such a great jump, (catcher) doesn't even risk a throw...a stolen base for (runner)...

THe runner's name got cut off in my example, the line should be split.
Fixed this one.

Don't understand post #25 (where's the text?), but it seems like another coding problem.
Old 06-19-2006, 02:34 AM   #29
jbsnadb
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by M's rule
Fixed this one.

Don't understand post #25 (where's the text?), but it seems like another coding problem.
If you're talking about #24, it's the one where Lapierre (CF) goes for a fly ball, Lapierre is also going for it, but Lapierre calls him off...

If you mean #25, there is no text associated with diddling my laptop.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:13 AM   #30
Raidergoo
Hall Of Famer

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...=1#post1736512

See thread for spelling error.
Raidergoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 05:31 PM   #31
Ian Collins
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Here's one of those wonderful pitch descriptions:
he got him on a [319-9016] sinking two-seamer sinker!
Ian Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 05:52 PM   #32
Raidergoo
Hall Of Famer

I guess that is better than a flat two seamed sinker that gets deposited in the lower part of the upper deck.
Raidergoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 09:09 PM   #33
tysok
Hall Of Famer

The pbp text:

punched to Goni...
he reels it in
flips to first...
Polwarth is retired 4-3...
three outs down.

As opposed to three outs up I guess.

I also saw an occasion where a batter never got the bat off his shoulders. He's either a mutant, or he's resting when he should be batting.
tysok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 10:13 PM   #34
tysok
Hall Of Famer

This is only a problem because there is nothing random to it. I've seen this message 8 times this game, don't know if it's EVERY time a pitch is inside, or if it's random between it and one other maybe... but it at least seems like every time a hitter swings a pitch out of the strike zone inside, it reports that he's "swinging from his heels".

My hitting coach, if he didn't suck of course, needs to teach more balance at the plate... what with everyone always on their heels.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:36 PM   #35
M's rule
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysok
The pbp text:

punched to Goni...
he reels it in
flips to first...
Polwarth is retired 4-3...
three outs down.

As opposed to three outs up I guess.

I also saw an occasion where a batter never got the bat off his shoulders. He's either a mutant, or he's resting when he should be batting.
Yahoo, found it. Object #11071. For those of you scoring at home, there's also a little glitch in #11057.

No occurrence of "shoulders" in the database at this point, except where it's correct--this because of an observation you brought up in the other thread.

So that job is off your shoulder now.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:46 PM   #36
M's rule
All Star Reserve

Quote:
This is only a problem because there is nothing random to it. I've seen this message 8 times this game, don't know if it's EVERY time a pitch is inside, or if it's random between it and one other maybe... but it at least seems like every time a hitter swings a pitch out of the strike zone inside, it reports that he's "swinging from his heels".

My hitting coach, if he didn't suck of course, needs to teach more balance at the plate... what with everyone always on their heels.
I did a quick check. The word "heels" in this context shows up eight times in the database: once in category 343 (39 objects), once in category 326 (38 objects), four times in category 342 (39 objects), and twice in category 189 (31 objects).

If you saw this message eight times in the same game, that's more than remarkable.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:10 AM   #37
tysok
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by M's rule
I did a quick check. The word "heels" in this context shows up eight times in the database: once in category 343 (39 objects), once in category 326 (38 objects), four times in category 342 (39 objects), and twice in category 189 (31 objects).

If you saw this message eight times in the same game, that's more than remarkable.
I don't remember seeing a problem with this when I read through it either. I did wonder about how it chooses conditional statements though, which I never got an answer to. It can't (I wouldn't suppose) just go through the list and if it doesn't meet the condition skip it... then it wouldn't come up right when the condition did exist. Is it possible that there's a conditional "heels" statement, and since it's the only one with that condition it's repeatedly called?

I'll try and keep an eye out for it tomorrow and write down occurences and exact wordings... I know it's showing up WAY too often in my games though... and I'm only watching MY team's results (quick playing the other teams hitting), and only simming the entire at bat (not pitch by pitch ever).
Old 06-20-2006, 12:33 AM   #38
M's rule
All Star Reserve

Quote:
I don't remember seeing a problem with this when I read through it either. I did wonder about how it chooses conditional statements though, which I never got an answer to. It can't (I wouldn't suppose) just go through the list and if it doesn't meet the condition skip it... then it wouldn't come up right when the condition did exist. Is it possible that there's a conditional "heels" statement, and since it's the only one with that condition it's repeatedly called?

I'll try and keep an eye out for it tomorrow and write down occurences and exact wordings... I know it's showing up WAY too often in my games though... and I'm only watching MY team's results (quick playing the other teams hitting), and only simming the entire at bat (not pitch by pitch ever).

Look in the Customization Manual for Steve's explanation of how messages are randomized and chosen for display. None of the messages in these categories have conditions, which (as I understand the system) makes the odds worse than astronomical against all eight of them showing up in the same game. No message will be skipped in category 343, so the "heels" message will show up once every 39 times that category is called. And so on.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:49 AM   #39
jbsnadb
All Star Starter

Back for more, starting with a shutout news item:

[22-14903] ...of the Victoria Capitals against the Bellevile. He fashioned a...

The item is only calling for the city name. Either the "the" needs to be removed, or the token should be changed for the team nickname or the full name (cit + nickname).
Old 06-20-2006, 03:41 AM   #40
jbsnadb
All Star Starter

I know it's been mentioned before, but I don't think it has with a code tag:

[314-8850] straight fastball fastball!