Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 19 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 04-22-2018, 09:34 AM   #1
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Random Debut Database

What are the pitfalls, if any, of using the SpritzeHS17 database as the source for players including the inaugural draft for a random debut league?
Would this not give a much bigger group of players to allow you to run a league for a greater length of time?

This would eliminate me trying to import old Negro Leaguers. I REALLY SUCK at importing players and not being the least bit scientific when importing, or trying to import the players. It is more like I read something about a team or a player in the early Negro Leagues and he is queued up to import, or at least try to until I finish swearing at my computer.
JaBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 10:12 AM   #2
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

only issues, there is no nationalities for players. everyone enters at their age 18 or 19.
i am currently using the same database. No issues as far as importing. in fact, i import every single player into my game, since it's a fictional but i want some historical players to mix with my fictional ones. i just made a .csv file for each year the players initially started pro-ball (not major league) and it works like a charm.
For random debut - it should work fine. Others have used it, i see on these boards, with no issues mentioned other than those i mentioned.
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 11:33 AM   #3
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Even in the inaugural are they all 18 or 19? Is there any easy way to get the nationalities as a group? If need be I would plug the stuff in on an individual basis using baseball reference. I already change all the nicknames. One of many foibles. If I get the settings right I will have enough players for a long time.
Old 04-22-2018, 12:01 PM   #4
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

yes. 18 or 19. Spritze created them that way- as it's when they started in pro-ball, not the major leagues.
Sprtize was going to add nationalities and take out the ones already in the games database with a new database this year, while adding a lot of players from unaffiliated minor league teams. However, sadly, things have changed and i don't see this happening anytime soon.

What i do, is merely change the nationalities (along with facegens) and positions manually when i import these players.(sometimes the game puts players at odd positions when they seldom played there with Spritze database) - but my method may be hard to use with a random debut.
i bring historical players to mix with my fictional players (fictional game obviously). i create a .csv file for each year of the game - so i bring in players when they debuted, and over the years of reading and manually bringing in Negro league players into earlier version, i have a very crude and inaccurate (by fine for me) list of Negro league players and their peak years stats that i use that list and those numbers when i edit the players positions and ethnicity. it's a ton of work, esp. at the start. but now that it's mostly in place, it's just a bunch of work for the off-season. and it's my quirky world, so i'm cool with it.
Anywho - i like the Spritze database, but over the years, the game has gotten a lot of the same players into the minor league database soit's not as exclusive as it once was. It's a shame the new version hasn't appeared, but i understand why and that's the way it is.
Good luck. as i mentioned, it may be difficult to find all the players to edit in a random debut.
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen

Last edited by mitchkenn; 04-22-2018 at 12:10 PM.
Old 04-22-2018, 12:59 PM   #5
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Please don't be pissed with me, but I want you to pepper me with questions so we can shrink that import process way down, and your computer can avoid being sweared at, and your family can stop thinking they live with a crazy man. I don't want it to drive you nuts. I want you to get it, so that you can enjoy it as much as I do. I use 1 round of Spritze guys for the inaugural draft (bringing the draft to 45 rounds), and bring in about one Spritze guy for every 40 default guys in the amateur drafts, so it's not many guys. The reason I keep it down, is because I don't want to unbalance my league with too many of them. I feel it's the best of both worlds. I can't bear to just have the default database players as I would miss the Spritze guys terribly, but I wouldn't want everybody to be from the Spritze database either.

My goal is to help you figure it out baby step by baby step so that you can get it, because once you do you'll never look back. I swear. I'm far from a whiz with computers either. What I have difficulty with is explaining how I get this done, so please fire away with questions about every step. Also, tell me what it is that you are doing step by step when you try to import (aside from swearing), so I can see where you're going wrong, and try to make suggestions to put you on the right path again. I'm here to help man.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 01:32 PM   #6
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Never going to get POed at you, I really appreciate all the help I get in these forums. I will continue to ask the questions but I think at times that I am the burden.

I get all these weird ideas but I really, really appreciate the help!

I actually did all of one year today, off season now in 1912. I may have cause another problem in my test league. I was thinking about finishing the test after 1920 after trying to find more of my logic and OCD caused errors but I am getting attached to the league!

By the way there is no mystery in my house, both my wife and son know they are living with a crazy man. When they see or hear me swearing at the computer they roll their eyes and leave the room.

Last edited by JaBurns; 04-22-2018 at 02:14 PM.
Old 04-22-2018, 02:18 PM   #7
JaBurns
All Star Starter

My sense is that Mr. Spritze has reached his breaking point. Hopefully he will reconsider and continue to give us all his amazing databases.

It make take me years but eventually I will learn how to use them, I am not going anywhere soon, I hope.

Last edited by JaBurns; 04-22-2018 at 02:19 PM.
Old 04-22-2018, 02:37 PM   #8
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaBurns View Post
Never going to get POed at you, I really appreciate all the help I get in these forums. I will continue to ask the questions but I think at times that I am the burden.

I get all these weird ideas but I really, really appreciate the help!

I actually did all of one year today, off season now in 1912. I may have cause another problem in my test league. I was thinking about finishing the test after 1920 after trying to find more of my logic and OCD caused errors but I am getting attached to the league!

By the way there is no mystery in my house, both my wife and son know they are living with a crazy man. When they see or hear me swearing at the computer they roll their eyes and leave the room.
You're no burden. If you have questions ask. If you don't understand the answer, ask again. If you're not sure if you should ask, ask anyway.

It's funny how much you get attached to leagues, even if they're test leagues. I wish I could remain detached and just get through it, and figure out where the problems are, but I just can't turn away from the stats, particularly of my favourite players.
Old 04-22-2018, 05:59 PM   #9
italyprof
All Star Reserve

ActionJackson, I have a question: how do you use two different databases for the inaugural draft. I know that you can go to the advanced settings to set up a league and pick the database. But you can only pick one at a time. How do you do a single round of Spritze for the Inaugural draft?
italyprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 07:02 PM   #10
JaBurns
All Star Starter

I was thinking of making a copy of Spritze database and sorting it to put all the Negro Leaguers, Japanese, PCL, etc together. I could use that document to select the players coming into the rookie draft. The sorted copy would make it easier for me to get player’s ID codes. Then I could become just a little more unbiased in my imports rather than the wily nily way I use at present. I like your idea of 1 of 40 so two in every 5 round draft class. I could scale that if my early draft classes are larger to start filling out my three unaffiliated AAA leagues. I may even get to a point where I can use the big boy random number generator, but I need to take baby steps while learning to import players. Also interested in the answer to italyprof’s question above as to how you use the Spritze for just one round in the inaugural draft.
Old 04-22-2018, 07:26 PM   #11
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by italyprof View Post
ActionJackson, I have a question: how do you use two different databases for the inaugural draft. I know that you can go to the advanced settings to set up a league and pick the database. But you can only pick one at a time. How do you do a single round of Spritze for the Inaugural draft?
When setting up your game, point to the default database and the historical_database.odb file within it. When you're all set up, go to your inaugural draft pool, point to the Spritze database (making sure the folder is in your stats folder or is a separate folder of its own) and the historical_database.odb file within it. I import one player at a time using the master file from the latest Spritze database to figure out the player IDs, a random number generator to find out who the lucky players are, and the import historical player feature in the Actions menu. I find it OK in terms of speed because the maximum number of players that I bring in for any draft is 16 for the inaugural draft in 1901.

Make sure you get the ID number right. It seems like only the ID codes with the first five letters of the last name followed by the first two letters of the first name followed by the two digit numerical codes successfully import. I can't get the other ones to import correctly (unfortunately at present Shohei Ohtani is one of these, so he can't be imported at this time, but you'll be able to in OOTP20 because of his 2018 RL debut). However, there are lots of players in there that fall under that description from ***, KBO, PCL, and Negro Leaguers. I've even imported a dude from Chinese Taipei in there.

Use the "Import Player into Draft Pool" (it's a checkbox on the left side of the window that pops up when you choose import historical player from the Actions menu) feature and they will show up in your inaugural pool. Use that checkbox for amateur drafts as well, otherwise they'll end up as free agents. Thus, they all mingle together in the inaugural draft pool and the draft goes from 44 players * number of teams to 45 players * number of teams. I stumbled across this by farting around trying to figure out how to get some Spritze players into my game without making the draft pool entirely Spritze players, so I can confirm that it works. It just takes a little manoeuvering. Don't forget to reset the folder that you point to to the default database if at any time you need to, and then you can switch back to Spritze again. Kinda cool in a nerdy way huh?

EDIT: When you first go to import historical player, the window will show up inside the default database. Simply hit the "Up" button until you reach the level where you have the Spritze DB, and then go into the Spritze DB and select historical_database.odb.

Last edited by actionjackson; 04-22-2018 at 09:08 PM.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:15 PM   #12
JaBurns
All Star Starter

I think I may pass on the inaugural draft, sounds like far too ways to make a mistake couple with my absolute paranoia bordering on hatred of importing players. Mitchkenn had a way to select a group of players copy their IDs on to a notepad (I think) and then import the group. I have seen that scary box on the Import Page but have stayed away from that sorcery and voodoo magic. Baby steps........I may able to import a few to each each draft class until I get comfortable with that black box.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:13 PM   #13
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think I may pass on the inaugural draft, sounds like far too ways to make a mistake couple with my absolute paranoia bordering on hatred of importing players. Mitchkenn had a way to select a group of players copy their IDs on to a notepad (I think) and then import the group. I have seen that scary box on the Import Page but have stayed away from that sorcery and voodoo magic. Baby steps........I may able to import a few to each each draft class until I get comfortable with that black box.
It ain't voodoo magic dude. In fact the most painstaking part of the process for me now is the random generator process. The rest is gravy. The random generator process is kind of cool though because you never know who you're gonna get. I remember how happy I was when the man in mitchkenn's avatar (Oscar Charleston or charlos00 in the player ID box, 1914 in the year box) was coming in. Yeah, I'm a baseball nerd. Sue me.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:30 PM   #14
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
if you ever get to the point you want to try this, let me know. i've got a write up saved - expanded from a couple of times i tried to help others with the process. it's really not that bad. i know i was intimated by the thought for a few years. Finally, i made a test league, deleted all the FAs and tried the text file thing on 4 or 5 players. And once i did it once, i wrote down the process. Slowly it began to make sense and become fairly easy - to the point, in the fictional league i am doing now, i bring in a lot of the historical players that debuted in the year i am entering to mix with my fictional dudes. i have made and saved .csv files from 1884 up to 1955 so far. i think it takes me about 15-25 mins to go through the older Spritze .csv file for 17 and make a note pad ++ file for any given year. (still had that .csv file/download saved on an older external drive.) . he had to pull the one for 18 due to proprietary info the game now uses. Anyway - all this is meaningless to you at this point, but if you ever want to try, feel free to ask and i'll try to walk you through the process as best as i can. but Actionjackson is right ... it ain't magic and is very doable.

Last edited by mitchkenn; 04-22-2018 at 09:53 PM.
Old 04-22-2018, 10:09 PM   #15
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchkenn View Post
if you ever get to the point you want to try this, let me know. i've got a write up saved - expanded from a couple of times i tried to help others with the process. it's really not that bad. i know i was intimated by the thought for a few years. Finally, i made a test league, deleted all the FAs and tried the text file thing on 4 or 5 players. And once i did it once, i wrote down the process. Slowly it began to make sense and become fairly easy - to the point, in the fictional league i am doing now, i bring in a lot of the historical players that debuted in the year i am entering to mix with my fictional dudes. i have made and saved .csv files from 1884 up to 1955 so far. i think it takes me about 15-25 mins to go through the older Spritze .csv file for 17 and make a note pad ++ file for any given year. (still had that .csv file/download saved on an older external drive.) . he had to pull the one for 18 due to proprietary info the game now uses. Anyway - all this is meaningless to you at this point, but if you ever want to try, feel free to ask and i'll try to walk you through the process as best as i can. but Actionjackson is right ... it ain't magic and is very doable.
I'd even suggest doing them one at a time so it's not intimidating. Obviously, if you bring in more than the small amount of players that I bring in, I can definitely see the notepad technique making sense, but I do it one at a time and it's fine.
Old 04-23-2018, 03:48 PM   #16
JaBurns
All Star Starter

I sorted a copy of the database to separate Japanese, Korean, PCL, Negro Leaguers, and Canadians. It may make it easier to import players, it cannot be any tougher for me; now I have to figure out how to choose a player(s). May have to do the random number generator thingy with a notepad doohickey.

Last edited by JaBurns; 04-23-2018 at 07:39 PM.