Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 21 > Perfect Team 21
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team 21 Perfect Team 21 - The online revolution! Battle tens of thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 09-25-2020, 04:49 PM   #21
KyleM
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdog512 View Post
Hey Kyle, I agree Diamond is tough. I've got some coin saved up so may upgrade center field but it's a tough league.
That is a helluva team you have there.

I can tell you...from experience these last two weeks, that CF upgrades are reachable..depending on your budget.

FOTF DiMaggio has come way down, and I scooped him up (to play LF) for 151K PP's

Even today, several of last night's new FOTF drops are plummeting in the AH. I got Ripken, Jr. for 149K PP's, and Aaron for 229L PP's this afternoon.

Looks like a real price cut war with some of these guys.

But...you and I each have Delahanty. I love him. I do not play him much, and really want to see what he can/will do over a full week in Diamond, but his avoid K's level seems like it would pull my offense down..but I am using in tournaments, where he always performs well.

Who the hell knows??

Anyway..looking forward to the weekend. I'm currently at 64-54 and leading my division by 6 1/2 games, so as long as I win division, I will taste the playoffs. Have no hope of a WC spot because of the strength in the other two divisions in my conf.

How is your wee (season) going McD??

Kyle

Last edited by KyleM; 09-25-2020 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Typo's (misspells)
KyleM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 05:00 PM   #22
daves
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Hey Kyle, I agree Diamond is tough. I've got some coin saved up so may upgrade center field but it's a tough league.
I didn't realize that after 13 post season appearances at the diamond level that your team was relegated to Gold?

daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 05:01 PM   #23
Bernabe
Bat Boy

Hows Appling performance at diamond? I have a hole at SS, debating Appling on a budget, or tying up a bunch of my resources in fotf Ripken . I’m probably a month away from diamond though
Bernabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 05:08 PM   #24
daves
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleM View Post
I am currently in Diamond 351...

I learned a little about how the game engine calculates Contact ratings (I never would have guessed that BABIP...hidden from sight when evaluating ratings on basic player profile) was such a big factor.

I always looked at contact from both sides of the plate, and put a lot of emphasis on eye/discipline. Avoid K's rate was always a concern, but when evaluating certain players like Ruth, Williams, and Hornsby, I always sidestepped it because of the contact and eye discipline numbers.

I don't know for sure if this is certain, but it almost looks like eye/discipline don't factor into a players expected offensive performance.

Any thoughts, based on your experience?

Kyle
Eye/Discipline does have an affect since these players OBA tend to be higher thus affecting a pitchers WHIP. There is no defense for walks.

Congrats on being in 1st place in your 1st Diamond season. Anything can happen in the playoffs!

Old 09-25-2020, 05:09 PM   #25
KyleM
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernabe View Post
Hows Appling performance at diamond? I have a hole at SS, debating Appling on a budget, or tying up a bunch of my resources in fotf Ripken . I’m probably a month away from diamond though
Well... I had Appling last year at PL too. He is a rock offensively. You always know what you are gonna get.....290 BA and above .350 OBP and above Not a slugger, just an on base machine.

Defense...another story. He is not a sieve, he is actually between average, and good, but there are better defensive SS's. But I have him, and am not replacing him.

You can win with him.

BTW....I picked up FOTF Ripken today to cover third. I was using FOTF Schmidt, who was by far, the single worst offensive player on my team, with a sub .200 BA, and a career .281 OBP....not too mention, the worst defender on my team (surprising)

If you can swing Appling...you will not be disappointed. You can literally write down his numbers on Sunday morning, and at end of week (season) you can look at them and be fairly certain he will repeat. Not just a dependable player...a good one. He is only so inexpensive because he has been in the "game" almost from the outset. But a good choice, as long as your staff is built right.

Hope it works out for you.

Let me know how you make out.

Kyle

Last edited by KyleM; 09-25-2020 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Typo's (misspells)
Old 09-25-2020, 05:10 PM   #26
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
Side note, I didn't pay too much attention last week and this team got bounced down to Gold........damn.

mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 05:11 PM   #27
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves View Post
I didn't realize that after 13 post season appearances at the diamond level that your team was relegated to Gold?

I didn't pay any attention last week. Yea, I just figured that out myself!

Old 09-25-2020, 05:14 PM   #28
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That is a helluva team you have there.

I can tell you...from experience these last two weeks, that CF upgrades are reachable..depending on your budget.

FOTF DiMaggio has come way down, and I scooped him up (to play LF) for 151K PP's

Even today, several of last night's new FOTF drops are plummeting in the AH. I got Ripken, Jr. for 149K PP's, and Aaron for 229L PP's this afternoon.

Looks like a real price cut war with some of these guys.

But...you and I each have Delahanty. I love him. I do not play him much, and really want to see what he can/will do over a full week in Diamond, but his avoid K's level seems like it would pull my offense down..but I am using in tournaments, where he always performs well.

Who the hell knows??

Anyway..looking forward to the weekend. I'm currently at 64-54 and leading my division by 6 1/2 games, so as long as I win division, I will taste the playoffs. Have no hope of a WC spot because of the strength in the other two divisions in my conf.

How is your wee (season) going McD??

Kyle

I looked long and hard at DiMaggio. May end up grabbing Joltin Joe. I'm up by 10 but no where near the #1 seed in my conference. I had no idea I got relegated, LOL. I just grabbed FOF Yount to replace Wagner. It is an upgrade.

Old 09-25-2020, 05:14 PM   #29
KyleM
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves View Post
Eye/Discipline does have an affect since these players OBA tend to be higher thus affecting a pitchers WHIP. There is no defense for walks.

Congrats on being in 1st place in your 1st Diamond season. Anything can happen in the playoffs!
Thanks Dave. Other than scraping my knees a bit, and learning the hard way..I am feel ok about first week here. Looking forward to the playoffs.

Hope the rest of your week goes well.

I will check back in again later.

Kyle
Old 09-25-2020, 05:16 PM   #30
daves
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernabe View Post
There are 8 Applings in my Diamond league. He seems to be doing well, but none of those 8 teams are in 1st. The 1st place teams have Ozzie, FOTF Ernie, FOTF Yount and mainly SE Jackie.

Save up that PP!

Old 09-25-2020, 05:18 PM   #31
chazzycat
All Star Starter

Quote:
Side note, I didn't pay too much attention last week and this team got bounced down to Gold........damn.
happens to the best of us

diamond is no joke this year...far harder than perfect in OOTP20 IMO

the pyramid structure doing it's thang
chazzycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 05:21 PM   #32
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazzycat View Post

You know it Chazzy!. I got some cards to sell for FOF just released then some 60 packs to open so maybe I find something. Got a bid in. Maybe will pay more attention next week.

edit: Get that Freddie avatar from Civ fanatics over here, love that!

Last edited by mcdog512; 09-25-2020 at 05:23 PM.
Old 09-25-2020, 05:35 PM   #33
KyleM
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
I looked long and hard at DiMaggio. May end up grabbing Joltin Joe. I'm up by 10 but no where near the #1 seed in my conference. I had no idea I got relegated, LOL. I just grabbed FOF Yount to replace Wagner. It is an upgrade.

I looked hard at Wagner too, thinking I might use him at 3B over FOTF Schmidt, who was sooooo bad offensively, AND defensively that I had to make a move. I was going to pick up Yount this morning but I was shocked when I saw how much the new FOTF Ripken, Jr. card was selling for. I got him for 149K PP's, but as I type this out, he is selling for 136K PP's I'm using Ripken at 3RD, and Appling at SS

You should be happy with Yount. I was ready to "pounce" this morning, but couldn't believe what Ripken had fallen to. Should have stuck with my gut, as Ripken is off to a horrible start, 4 errors in first 12 games, and a sub .200 BA

Hope Yount is performing better for you.

Kyle

Last edited by KyleM; 09-25-2020 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Typo's (misspells)
Old 09-25-2020, 05:42 PM   #34
daves
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazzycat View Post

True. Playing teams in Diamond with a winning percentage below .400 aren't even easy wins. And the competition is only getting tougher!

Old 09-25-2020, 05:45 PM   #35
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I looked hard at Wagner too, thinking I might use him at 3B over FOTF Schmidt, who was sooooo bad offensively, AND defensively that I had to make a move. I was going to pick up Yount this morning but I was shocked when I saw how much the new FOTF Ripken, Jr. card was selling for. I got him for 149K PP's, but as I type this out, he is selling for 136K PP's I'm using Ripken at 3RD, and Appling at SS

You should be happy with Yount. I was ready to "pounce" this morning, but couldn't believe what Ripken had fallen to. Should have stuck with my gut, as Ripken is off to a horrible start, 4 errors in first 12 games, and a sub .200 BA

Hope Yount is performing better for you.

Kyle

Just got him within the hour so we'll see.