Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager > FHM - Public Beta Test
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2013, 05:15 PM   #21
Probert24
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey13Playa View Post
I would love LOVE to play and help contribute too improving this game! But I, like others, are nervous to purchase and play using parallels then not be able to use the same license on my MAC. I wish we could get a guarantee it would work... If so they'd have my money already
Same here - they'd have my $$ as well if they could guarantee the license would transfer over. Issue is pretty simple - and it was either Jeff or Sebastian who stated it pretty clearly - since at the moment NO MAC VERSION has yet been developed, there's nothing to test - no beta - nothing - it flat doesn't yet exist. And as such - there's no way they can even test on the pre-beta dev end whether or not the Windows license key would indeed transfer over. They said pretty much exactly that - and as such, since they have no idea at this point if it (the license key transfer) will even work - they're not guaranteeing anything. They can't.

Hat's off to them tho for being VERY upfront about it and letting us know straight away what the situation is. I shudder to think how many companies would essentially blow smoke at us just go get us to pre-order and take our money - only later on, if things didn't work as planned, saying "oh - sorry - guess it didn't worked. oh well... ) BIG credit to Jeff/Sebastian and the OOTP folks for playing it straight and being open and upfront. Believe me, they've earned a customer in me just from that simple demonstration of EXCELLENT -- and honest -- business practice!

Last edited by Probert24; 03-07-2013 at 05:18 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:14 PM   #22
sth0009
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Probert24 View Post
Now - did you receive two distinct licenses for OOTP - or did you have to purchase two licenses? I'm unfamiliar with how this all would work - I have OOTP but only for the Mac. (happily, my wife has her own laptop PC - and I have desktop PCs, a MacBook Pro and a Mac mini (I use the mini for most of the games i have on Mac) ...

Not a huge fan of the emulators but I do have Wineskin and have tried out one or two of the other ones. Am just more a fan of running an application on its native platform - PC software on the PCs - Mac software on the Mac. I've had fewer issues doing that over the years.
With a single purchase you can install on two devices.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:53 PM   #23
Probert24
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sth0009 View Post
With a single purchase you can install on two devices.

Hopefully that will be the case - but until the Mac version comes out I don't think we can say that for certain. It was either Jeff or Sebastian who said on a previous post on this sub that he flat didn't know if the licensing setup for Mac would work at all, simply because at this point there is no Mac version to test even in-house by the developer. Once a Mac version is developed and tested - they'll let us know the situation upon release. I'm happy not taking chances on possibly wasting money.

Again - their words - and they themselves have advised Mac users to consider holding off until the actual Mac-native version is available before committing to a purchase.

Last edited by Probert24; 03-07-2013 at 08:57 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:44 PM   #24
sth0009
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Hopefully that will be the case - but until the Mac version comes out I don't think we can say that for certain. It was either Jeff or Sebastian who said on a previous post on this sub that he flat didn't know if the licensing setup for Mac would work at all, simply because at this point there is no Mac version to test even in-house by the developer. Once a Mac version is developed and tested - they'll let us know the situation upon release. I'm happy not taking chances on possibly wasting money.

Again - their words - and they themselves have advised Mac users to consider holding off until the actual Mac-native version is available before committing to a purchase.
Agreed. However with one purchase you can run the software on two devices. You can't run it natively on Mac but there are other option, as have already been noted.

My post was just intended to confirm you can load a single purchase on two devices (using a windows OS). Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Last edited by sth0009; 03-07-2013 at 10:45 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:54 PM   #25
Probert24
Minors (Single A)

Good to know it'll install on more than one machine using the same OS. Still - as I'm not planning to run a Windows version (even tho I could as I have a PC available as well as emulation on one of my Macs) - i'm eager to see the Mac OS-native version. I am currently enjoying OOTP 13 on Mac in Mac-native format and it rocks! I've no doubt when FHM comes out for the Mac, it will be every bit as good!
Old 03-11-2013, 03:39 PM   #26
sandornaut
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR View Post
We also can't promise that a license purchased now will work on a Mac later (it's likely, but definitely not certain), so the safest route will be holding off on buying the game if you only have access to a Mac.
this is disappointing. i purchased a license based on the assurance here that it will work on OS X:

Quote:
Quote:
If later the Mac beta comes out, would I be out of luck for downloading the Mac version of the beta?
Your original code will work with the Mac version.
if you're backpedaling on that now, then you should update the info in the linked post in case other OS X folks read that before discovering this current OS X beta thread.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:10 PM   #27
BradC
All Star Starter

We've discussed this internally, and we will be taking care of people who bought FHM licenses and will be playing on Macs. We will likely send you another serial # if you discover the Mac version won't work with your serial #.

Also, please note that we're 99% certain *it will work*, but we've decided to err on the side of caution right now. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandornaut View Post
this is disappointing. i purchased a license based on the assurance here that it will work on OS X:

if you're backpedaling on that now, then you should update the info in the linked post in case other OS X folks read that before discovering this current OS X beta thread.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:22 PM   #28
RangerDanger
Bat Boy

Hello.. I just registered and its my first post, although I've been lurking and stalking ootpdev since the beginning although I have most flavors of OOTP & iOOTP. I was never a huge fan of EHM, but loved the Gretsky/Hockey Manager sim from the early '90's and my favorite hockey sim has always been Dolphin's Hockey sim.. don't recall the exact name right now.

Anyways.. in real life I am an Apple Systems Engineer and luckily have all the latest Mac toys from work. I have pre-purchased FHM but I am running it in both Parallels & VMWare Fusion on Macs. FHM is working well in both but I do prefer it on Parallels overall. This is mostly because with Parallels running in Coherence Mode it makes FHM look and behave like a native OS X app. Coupled with the Parallels iOS app I can play FHM on my iPad Mini and it makes it appear and act like its an iOS app. It actually looks pretty nice once I tweaked the resolution. On my home network it runs fine and fast, and through AT&T LTE it is slower but absolutely playable. Of course there are many variables, but my experience playing the wimpdows beta on a Mac and iPad Mini has been fine.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:18 AM   #29
Probert24
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradC View Post
We've discussed this internally, and we will be taking care of people who bought FHM licenses and will be playing on Macs. We will likely send you another serial # if you discover the Mac version won't work with your serial #.

Also, please note that we're 99% certain *it will work*, but we've decided to err on the side of caution right now. Thanks.

Awesome to know! Many thanks! You guys are doing amazing work all the way around with this. And I'm sure i speak for many on here who are grateful for good customer service and good, honest business like you guys are doing. Well done!!

I'm still planning to wait for the Mac-native version to come out - I'm not a big fan of running stuff in windows emulation on my Macs unless I absolutely have to - and I'm happy to wait for a nice, clean Mac-native format of the game since I plan to play on the Mac exclusively.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:10 AM   #30
sandornaut
Bat Boy

Quote:

this is good to hear. thanks!
Old 03-12-2013, 11:25 AM   #31
CeeBee
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Same here - they'd have my $$ as well if they could guarantee the license would transfer over.
And you're still gonna wait while the rest of us have all the fun?
Old 03-12-2013, 08:58 PM   #32
Probert24
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
And you're still gonna wait while the rest of us have all the fun?
Hey - I can't hog all the fun for myself, right? It's all good - I'd rather sit tight 'til it's in a format I plan to play it in - and not have to go thru the hassle of making it work in emulation - which I really hate dealing with - or playing it on a winblows-based machine - which I have (2 of them and I do use them for games that are not available in Mac-native format) ...

But I play OOTP on the Mac - and you couldn't pay me to switch it over to the PC side if both versions are available. So - I'd rather hang out a bit - watch the forums and contribute as I can - then when the Mac-native version comes out - hit the ground running and go at it like a house-afire!
Old 03-13-2013, 08:21 AM   #33
CeeBee
Minors (Double A)

Yeah, can't say I blame you. Even using emulators in a pc world is a pain(for me anyway) and then the fact this is a beta and weekly installs too plus beta's are a funny beast in their own right. It's sometimes fun being in on the ground floor helping something develop but some days it's more work than fun and a person wonders why they are even doing it. Anybody expecting even a half finished product is being delusional but that said, I'm really liking the direction FHM is heading and I can see what we all hope it will become one day. Now all I need is a few things.... ratings, head coach, user friendly tactics,etc.etc.........
Old 03-13-2013, 10:07 AM   #34
Probert24
Minors (Single A)

Hi CeeBee - I'm definitely looking forward to jumping onboard with the Mac-native version - I look at it like this - it'll still be getting in on the ground floor on the Mac side - since right now, that side doesn't yet exist - and as soon as it's out, I'm all-in. Will be happy to put in the work and contribute whatever suggestions I can.

Honestly, I think this is a brillient move by the FHM developers - and very much groundbreaking - would be willing to bet the day isn't too far away when most - if not almost all - game developers eventually move in this direction - and allow public beta testing with gamers pre-purchasing at a discount - and having the opportunity to essentially "co-develop" what becomes the final product. Makes ya wonder why developers didn't opt for this many moons ago (other than the fact it actually might just work and makes a lot of sense!)

The coolest thing is - we the gaming community - can really make a difference and really, legitimately help. What a great opportunity!!

Last edited by Probert24; 03-14-2013 at 12:02 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:33 AM   #35
johan25
Minors (Single A)

So my understanding is if I purchase the Windows version right now and run it on an emulator, then I'll be covered if the code doesn't work in the future on a mac version.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:04 PM   #36
Probert24
Minors (Single A)

Seems like that is the case, yes -- mind you, I'm just not a fan of emulators - they're okay, but I'd rather not bother with a windows-based version of an application that will soon be available in a Mac-native format just to have it 'now' ... for me, at least, it's a waste of time and energy. Will be more than happy to plunk down the $$ and put the Mac-native version thru its paces when it comes out.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:26 PM   #37
TealShark
Bat Boy

Quote:
I'm a little late on the boat here, but I just wanted to say thank you for this. I've been virtualizing it through Wineskin for now, but having the option to run it natively when the Mac version is released saves me a bit of a headache.

Salut!
Old 03-27-2013, 09:54 PM   #38
Dahyno
Bat Boy

Have any Wineskin users been able to find the "C:\Users\(your username)\Documents\Out of the Park Developments\Franchise Hockey Manager 2014\data\quickstart_games" folder? I've tried navigating through my package contents, but can't seem to locate any "Out of the Park Developments" folder.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:23 PM   #39
TealShark
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahyno View Post
Have any Wineskin users been able to find the "C:\Users\(your username)\Documents\Out of the Park Developments\Franchise Hockey Manager 2014\data\quickstart_games" folder? I've tried navigating through my package contents, but can't seem to locate any "Out of the Park Developments" folder.
I think Wineskin, by default now, maps the Documents folder to your Mac's actual Documents folder. Look for an "Out of the Park Developments" folder in your Documents.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:14 PM   #40
JeffR
FHM Producer

Small update about the Mac version for you guys: Sebastian's been looking at it for the last few days, and plans on continuing to do so over the weekend, after which point we may be able to give you a better idea of a release timeframe. He sounds optimistic at the moment, but isn't quite ready to commit to a date yet, and we need to figure out how to balance it with FHM's other short-term needs.