Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 5 > FHM 5 - General Discussion

FHM 5 - General Discussion Talk about the 2018 version of FHM.

Old 10-22-2018, 07:41 PM   #1
dperron
Bat Boy

What attributes influences line combination?

I play as GM only but I really disagree with how my head coach/assistant sets lines. My 3rd defensive pair is composed of possibly my best 2 D, Lindholm and Dumba, and better players are confined to the 4th line (Tatar, who's being played out of position at C while Charles Hudon is put at LW on the 2nd line with his rating 10 as Sniper). I'd rather not take on the coaching responsibilities just to set lines, so what attribute do I need to look at when choosing my coaching staff so that line composition is maximized?
Attached Images
dperron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:30 PM   #2
dperron
Bat Boy

It's even worse at the eve of the season...
Attached Images
Old 10-22-2018, 09:24 PM   #3
Pwal
All Star Starter

Yeah, the AI line selection needs some work. I stopped playing as GM only when Jacob De la Rose ended up as my 1st line center.
Pwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:18 PM   #4
JeffR
FHM Producer

Line selection uses, in approximate order of importance, the player's overall talent, his specific ratings in areas that are critical to the tactical options his line is using, and his role and overall skill at it.

Hudon ahead of Drouin and Hertl looks wrong, when I make the AI calculations manually it shouldn't work out that way. We'll have to check the code and see what's going on there.

Re: Tatar, bear in mind that his ratings reflect a really bad season last year, particularly near the end - he was a healthy scratch for most of the playoffs. If he continues to do as well as he's doing right now, his ratings will be increased.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:26 PM   #5
dperron
Bat Boy

Thanks for the response, Jeff. So is it worth it me changing the tactics (global or line?), or will they be overridden since the assistant is in control of lines and tactics in the Manager Options screen?
Old 10-22-2018, 10:47 PM   #6
JeffR
FHM Producer

If you have that option on, they'll be overridden.
Old 10-23-2018, 02:53 AM   #7
JeffR
FHM Producer

Can you upload the save? Directions here. I'm having trouble replicating this in 5.3.39 - Hudon's on the fourth line, Juulsen's on the bottom pair, etc.
Old 10-23-2018, 07:29 AM   #8
dperron
Bat Boy

I will upload the save when I get home from work. I should mention that this is in 2020, by the way.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:31 AM   #9
VinCal
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I deal with a similar issue in GM Mode. If you look in my Depth Charts, Byfield is my #1 rated center, yet my head coach doesn't even start him. Scratched ever game. Very frustrating.
VinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 04:18 PM   #10
dperron
Bat Boy

It's uploaded, habs.lg.zip. Thanks!
Old 10-23-2018, 04:19 PM   #11
dperron
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinCal View Post
I deal with a similar issue in GM Mode. If you look in my Depth Charts, Byfield is my #1 rated center, yet my head coach doesn't even start him. Scratched ever game. Very frustrating.
Similar for me, Hudon is my #5 rated LW yet he plays 1st line...
Old 10-24-2018, 03:44 AM   #12
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dperron View Post
It's uploaded, habs.lg.zip. Thanks!
Got it, thanks. Very weird, somehow the AI wants to use Hudon, when he's in the Setup Man role, on the first line, regardless of the other options. If I change Hudon to any other role, even ones he's equally as good at, he drops to the third line. But if he's a setup man, he goes ahead of everyone else - even if I make Drouin a Setup Man as well, Hudon stays ahead of him. And that makes no sense, because Drouin's ratings are much better than Hudon's and he fits the role better.

And it seems to be limited to this save - if I start a new game as Montreal and set Hudon to setup man, he doesn't behave like this; he winds up on the 4th line.

We're going to have to pick this apart step-by-step and see what's going on. It definitely looks like a bug of some sort, but not one that's behaving in any logical way.
Old 10-24-2018, 07:26 AM   #13
dperron
Bat Boy

Ha, figures that it would happen to only my game! I'm likely going to start a new game anyway and choose the option to be GM+head coach, and just hire a head coach if I don't like the micromanagement part of being a head coach. Thanks for digging into this!