Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 19 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 04-23-2018, 04:32 PM   #1
Reed
All Star Starter

Dumb Dumb Random Debut Questions

After reading posts for a couple years about Random Debut, I am thinking about starting a league in a way I have not seen posted which means it is either a dumb idea or I just have not seen it posted. I want to avoid having Mantle etc. starting at age 35 and I do not want to start with 44 players per team. I plan to play with injuries off and would like to have on average 35 players per team. Injuries off. Neutralized Stats, 3 years double weighted. No minor leagues, etc..
Anyway here is my plan but if it is stupid, let me know. Start regular historical year in 1900 but using 1949 as base year for stats, etc.. Before regular season ends, select Random Debut range of years (1901-???)and draft number of rounds to about 12. At end of season before draft erase career stats and league history. This way about 15-20 of the players on the teams in 1901 will be players that were on teams in 1900. 12 players ( or whatever number of rounds I choose to have) will be players in their rookie years from 1901-??? (Whatever end year I select).
Is this stupid/somewhat realistic??? The only downside I see off hand is the individual stats might be a little weird for 1st couple years.
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 04:45 PM   #2
JaBurns
All Star Starter

I don’t limit any years in the Random Debut then you will get 19th century players. You can lower the number of rounds in the inaugural draft in your initial settings. The rest is over my head, others will probably weigh in when they see this post.
JaBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 05:44 PM   #3
italyprof
All Star Reserve

No Reed, you can do this. By starting with 1901 real era players, you do avoid having Mantle etc. come in at 35, or so, which only happens in the inaugural draft. And you certainly can set it to 12 players in the draft or whatever number you think will work best, and change that number of rounds later if they are too few or too many.
italyprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:00 PM   #4
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

It's not for everyone, but I just accept that favourite players of mine are going to come into the inaugural draft way past their prime. I know there will be upstarts who I've never heard of who will ride the wave of the player development engine all the way into the HoF, so my favourite players will be replaced there even though I have no clue who they were.

The 44 players per team thing is much more difficult because I think that's the only way it comes. I suppose you could delete a whole bunch of players, but that can screw up the balance in your league.

I'd also trim your draft rounds back a lot. I use five rounds and I play with injuries at Normal and fatigue at Average. You're turning injuries off though, but you also have to be wary of retirements. I'd try five rounds at first and see how it goes, but it is your game, so play it your way.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 09:16 PM   #5
Reed
All Star Starter

I think I will give it a try. I need to double check but I believe at the end of the 1900 season after retirement each team will have 12 or 13 players so I will probably have a 15 round rookie draft. I will adjust the number of rounds in future years to slowly get the number of players up to roughly 33-35 per team.
Thanks for the feedback.
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 09:43 AM   #6
italyprof
All Star Reserve

A solution, if you really do not want as many as 44 players per team, is to expand the league before the inaugural draft.

Don't use the Expand the League function though, that will confuse the hell out of the AI about what is happening and when (it will want to run an expansion draft, but the Inaugural Draft is already on so it gets paralyzed).

Instead, go to Game Settings-League Settings - Edit League Structure.

Then Add some teams to each league. If you have a 16-team league, the Inaugural draft is 704 players (you have to turn off the Color Barrier if you play before 1947 to get all players though).

so if you expand to 20 teams, you are down to 35 per team. If you go to 24 teams, (you probably want to create a new division in each league at that time, in which case you need to also go to options and change the postseason to two rounds), then you will have 29 per team.

REMEMBER TO CLICK GENERATE SCHEDULE AFTER YOU MAKE CHANGES IN THE LEAGUE STRUCTURE !!

AND REMEMBER THAT YOU MUST ALSO GO BACK TO LEAGUE SETTINGS AND CLICK "CREATE FANTASY DRAFT" BECAUSE THE INITIAL INAUGURAL DRAFT WON'T INCLUDE THE NEW TEAMS YOU ADDED !

Last edited by italyprof; 04-24-2018 at 09:44 AM.
italyprof is offline   Reply With Quote