Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 02-20-2016, 04:33 PM   #1
Hammercraft
All Star Reserve

Draft Tanking - legitimate strategy?

Have you ever done this?

You're in the first year player draft and there's basically nobody who looks like they're worth drafting. Some 'meh' players, but no impact players, and your system isn't in dire need at the moment - so you deliberately draft players in rounds 1-5 with high demands that you have no intention of signing, snub them, and get comp picks for next year?

It's a hedged bet, but more often than not it turns out well for me because there's rarely two really weak drafts back to back. All I know is that if a team did it IRL they would be heavily criticized, and I don't seem to get any penalty for it.
Hammercraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 04:45 PM   #2
phillyboy19
All Star Reserve

Ive never thought abt tht before tbh, that's a good idea tho.
Old 02-20-2016, 04:58 PM   #3
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammercraft View Post
Have you ever done this?

You're in the first year player draft and there's basically nobody who looks like they're worth drafting. Some 'meh' players, but no impact players, and your system isn't in dire need at the moment - so you deliberately draft players in rounds 1-5 with high demands that you have no intention of signing, snub them, and get comp picks for next year?

It's a hedged bet, but more often than not it turns out well for me because there's rarely two really weak drafts back to back. All I know is that if a team did it IRL they would be heavily criticized, and I don't seem to get any penalty for it.
I dont see anything wrong with doing it but there should be a balance for that in maybe say you lose fans, job or maybe gain a reputation as an owner thats cheap. You could be the Connie Mack of your league.
BaseballMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 05:02 PM   #4
Blackened30
Minors (Rookie Ball)

It's not something i have done or would personally do, since it feels very "videogamey," for lack of a better word. it would feel too much like exploiting a system that works in real life because teams can't get away with acting in that fashion. But the beauty of OOTP is you can play it however you want.
Blackened30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 05:22 PM   #5
Lockdog
Minors (Triple A)

I would never do that because I aim to add talent to the minor league system every year, even if my team is in "Win now" mode.
Lockdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 05:31 PM   #6
lightgrenade07
Minors (Double A)

There should be a small upward bounce in fan interest when you draft a player, and then another small upward bounce when you sign that player. However, if you're not able to sign that player, you should take a hit in fan interest equal to the total benefit you'd have from drafting + signing.

Example: Say you're the Oakland A's and you draft a player named Johnny "I Love Oakland" All-Star. Draft 'em, get +3 points for fan interest.

You sign Johnny All-Star weeks later and get another +3, so in total +6.

Counter-example: Say you're still the A's, only this time you draft Jimmy "F--- the A's" Superstar instead. You get +3 for drafting. However, you fail to sign Jimmy Superstar by the deadline, so you take a -6 hit, for an overall net effect of -3. Small enough that you could do it strategically depending on the situation, but enough of an effect that you wouldn't want to do it all the time.

It would also make sense that the +/- effect should be higher depending on which round the pick is made. Fans probably won't care if you can't sign your 16th round pick.

Just my two cents on what would make sense. In fact, I think I'll add this to my personal "House Rules" if I ever decide to deliberately avoid signing picks.
Old 02-20-2016, 06:38 PM   #7
ThePretender
All Star Starter

The penalty is you lose a year of development on players you would have otherwise acquired. And you have fewer pieces to trade by tanking the draft. And there's no guarantee next year will be better, and you're stuck with whoever you get then. You don't always get better prospects in the draft. Could be worse.
ThePretender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 07:30 PM   #8
phillyboy19
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightgrenade07 View Post
There should be a small upward bounce in fan interest when you draft a player, and then another small upward bounce when you sign that player. However, if you're not able to sign that player, you should take a hit in fan interest equal to the total benefit you'd have from drafting + signing.

Example: Say you're the Oakland A's and you draft a player named Johnny "I Love Oakland" All-Star. Draft 'em, get +3 points for fan interest.

You sign Johnny All-Star weeks later and get another +3, so in total +6.

Counter-example: Say you're still the A's, only this time you draft Jimmy "F--- the A's" Superstar instead. You get +3 for drafting. However, you fail to sign Jimmy Superstar by the deadline, so you take a -6 hit, for an overall net effect of -3. Small enough that you could do it strategically depending on the situation, but enough of an effect that you wouldn't want to do it all the time.

It would also make sense that the +/- effect should be higher depending on which round the pick is made. Fans probably won't care if you can't sign your 16th round pick.

Just my two cents on what would make sense. In fact, I think I'll add this to my personal "House Rules" if I ever decide to deliberately avoid signing picks.
I think I'm gonna have to add both those players to my draft pool