Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 22 > Perfect Team 22
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team 22 Perfect Team 22 - The online revolution! Battle tens of thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 03-24-2021, 03:03 PM   #21
Drivehud.com
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neugey View Post
+1. If the player name and position was listed above each card it would be easier to read/see/decide.
+2
Came in to say this as well... I think under the card is better based on the layout that exist, but somewhere so it shows the position.

Also, I'd just make it clear what the next round will be. My first draft was a disaster because it wasn't clear how it was going to proceed.

Really like the idea other than that though... great concept.

Drivehud.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 04:09 PM   #22
Spieler
Minors (Double A)

First off, VERY cool format.

But... I just drafted a whole team of OF (on purpose). Sure, I get a boatload of sanity check warnings, but I just went -- eh, who cares.

I think the draft needs to set some minimum/maximums. Dunno, 2 C min, 3 C max. 5 IF-capable min, 7 max. 4 OF-capable min, 6 max. 10 P min, 15 max.

If I draft 3 C with my first 3 picks, I probably shouldn't get any more C in the draw for the rest of the draft. By the time you get to the last 5, you should have a basic team set up.

Speaking of last 5, would be nice to see all rated positions. The iron guys are usually utility anyways. Would rather take the 40 that can play all IF positions vs a 59 that only plays 3B.
Spieler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 04:18 PM   #23
ColbyVargas
Minors (Single A)

PD seems like a great addition to me. The challenge of not knowing who is coming up next in the draft is part of the draw for me. Also encountering cards of players I don't know or who take me down memory lane.

I had some of those softball scores too, and the AI was not using my opponent's rotation at all. I posted that on the bugs forum.

I do wonder if the shorter tourneys will get much of a draw. I'd focus PD, where you invest the 20 minutes setting up, on longer, larger-stakes tourneys.

agree with the eyesight comments.

FTP OL

FTP BFF
ColbyVargas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 04:50 PM   #24
dishnet34
All Star Starter

Yeah, on a personal level, I'll +3 and/or +4 with the eyesight stuff - definitely because once you get to the Gold rounds and there are more cards to choose from, it's definitely a pain to have to put your face nearer to the screen to see which card you want. Definitely something that I think should get improved in the near future.

I can definitely see a need for mins/maxes for positions as well (if I draft 2-3 catchers early, I shouldn't see one in some of the later rounds), and I like the idea of PD being used for longer, higher-stakes tourneys (TWIPT Weekly Showdown, for the first broadcast at least, is going to be a PD format).

"Find a way to be alone in a baseball stadium at sunrise, when the only sound you hear are about nine birds that got lost, and found themselves in a stadium, and they’re chirping across the grandstand trying to figure out where the f*** they ended up." -Dan Besbris

dishnet34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 06:38 PM   #25
FancySkunk
All Star Reserve

Love the format overall, but the main thing I'd like to see is some variant versions of the draft.

As it stands, every single draft is perfect-diamond-diamond-gold-gold-etc. But does it actually *have* to be? Theoretically, couldn't it change up in any number of interesting combinations? We could have "High end" perfect draft formats with more perfect/diamond selections and no bronze/iron selections, we could have "Low end" formats where we open with 1 gold and 2 silvers and mostly draft bronze and iron players.
FancySkunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 06:57 PM   #26
tomnov
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishnet34 View Post
Yeah, on a personal level, I'll +3 and/or +4 with the eyesight stuff - definitely because once you get to the Gold rounds and there are more cards to choose from, it's definitely a pain to have to put your face nearer to the screen to see which card you want. Definitely something that I think should get improved in the near future.
Yeah, putting your face closer only makes it worse if you're farsighted like I am

tomnov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 07:00 PM   #27
Kushiel
All Star Starter

I have done it twice and enjoyed the new idea. Well done, Dev team.
Kushiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 09:19 AM   #28
professor ape
All Star Starter

I just did a first draft. On one of the pages I had selected to players but then went into a third player’s profile page to see if I wanted to switch before submitting. When I went back to the selection page, my two choices I had made previously were no longer highlighted.
Old 03-25-2021, 11:20 AM   #29
Kris Jardine
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancySkunk View Post
Love the format overall, but the main thing I'd like to see is some variant versions of the draft.

As it stands, every single draft is perfect-diamond-diamond-gold-gold-etc. But does it actually *have* to be? Theoretically, couldn't it change up in any number of interesting combinations? We could have "High end" perfect draft formats with more perfect/diamond selections and no bronze/iron selections, we could have "Low end" formats where we open with 1 gold and 2 silvers and mostly draft bronze and iron players.
As we said during the reveal stream, this is version 1.0 and will remain in place until we are happy with the progress of development and data of how users interact with it. While additional formats are possible, we have no timeline to introduce them in-game

Webstore - https://ootpdevelopments.onfastspring.com/games/
Steam - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1...k_Baseball_22/
Kris Jardine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 11:25 AM   #30
HemBear
Minors (Double A)

I like the concept. Still trying to see whether there is a pattern or strategy, but it is so random. On some drafts, you can get for instance, good 1st and 3rd basement after round 5-6. On others, there are none. Do you take the one that's not so good to at least have one, or take the chance. I like the strategy and concept.

HemBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 02:46 PM   #31
ncap99
Major Leagues

In general this mode is fantastic in concept. I think it is very fun as-is and look forward to continued development. It is more fun than any of the other game modes for me.

A couple of observations from my perspective:
1. I would increase the width of the green highlight around selected cards to make selections easier to see, especially with some of the cards that have greenish tinting or bordering.
2. Right click inspecting a card clears any selections you've made...not a huge deal but an inconvenience.
3. The randomness is really what makes this mode interesting, please don't over compensate any sort of positional weighting. There should be occasions where your team just kinda stinks. The last draft I did I was trying to build a defensively focused team and by the last gold round I realized it wasn't going to be possible so I ended up with sort of a bad hodgepodge of strategies and didn't do well. It was frustrating but it will also make it a lot more satisfying when I can pull it off.
4. That being said, I do think that too many relief pitchers appear. It seems to be about 25-33% of all player choices. While that might not be too far off from the % of the roster that are RP when you're done, I feel there is far less strategic decisions made with those players and trying to execute on some different type of team archetypes are one of the primary reason I find this mode interesting.
5. Pitchers in general seem to have a real hard time. Offense seems somewhat inflated as mentioned by a few others. One thing I have started to notice is the walk rate seems super high and high control pitchers seem to be difficult to find. It has only been a few days and I have probably run only 20-30 tournaments so this definitely could be a sample size issue but thought I'd throw it out there.

Thanks for this addition to the game, now I'm hoping for perfect draft seasons!
ncap99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 03:07 PM   #32
ROY_Angel_Berroa
Minors (Single A)

I've done about 5 drafts. I think is a fun addition to PT!

The strategy I've developed so far is:
- Draft a C early - had one draft where I waited too long to get a catcher and ended up with only one and that player was a Bronze.
- Try to get an Elite CF. Won a tourney with Andruw Jones in CF and went far with Jim Edmonds. Obviously a small sample size, but something I noted early.
- Avoid drafting RPs early - lots of RPs show up in the Bronze/Iron parts of the draft.
- Wait for a SS with solid D - hasn't always worked and is risky. If I get a Gold SS who has 80+ D I take them.

Some other observations/ideas:
- I agree with the size of the cards - could you have a toggle where you could switch to a player list screen and you could sort by ratings for specific skills?
- The rewards seem like they could be tweaked. I think its 2000 PP for a Bo7 with 32 teams and 1000 PP for DoD with 32 teams. Seems like people would stream the DoD version all day compared to the Bo7
- Would be interesting to do a CAP draft - not sure the mechanics on that, but would be an added wrinkle to think about.

Looking forward to earning real PP through Perfect Draft
ROY_Angel_Berroa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 03:20 PM   #33
ncap99
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROY_Angel_Berroa View Post
- Draft a C early - had one draft where I waited too long to get a catcher and ended up with only one and that player was a Bronze.
- Try to get an Elite CF. Won a tourney with Andruw Jones in CF and went far with Jim Edmonds. Obviously a small sample size, but something I noted early.
- Avoid drafting RPs early - lots of RPs show up in the Bronze/Iron parts of the draft.
- Wait for a SS with solid D - hasn't always worked and is risky. If I get a Gold SS who has 80+ D I take them.
I have been trying to draft a defensively focused team for about 5 drafts now and it is really hard. CF and SS are the hardest positions I'd say. I agree take the first CF and SS with 80+ you can find, because they definitely don't appear in every draft. I will also say that C seems to be very front loaded...you see a bunch through the gold rounds but after that they are not very common.

Kind of a funny side note, but I had a draft once where I accidentally forgot to grab a SS but my 1st pick was the 100 overall Jim Edmonds. The AI put him at SS and he performed as a top 5 defensive one in terms of zone rating and lead the tournament in chances only making 1 error. I guess the good defenders can play anywhere!
Old 03-25-2021, 03:58 PM   #34
treedom
Hall Of Famer

Just tried it and I ran out of time, so I'm running 21 players out there, including only one catcher. C'est la vie.

My suggestions would be, since we're on a timer, QoL stuff to be able to quickly evaluate the choices against each other are key. I want to echo what people above said about displaying the positions outside the cards. It's very hard to see what you're working with in a round due to the different art on the cards having the positions in different places. The other thing that would help is a list view mode as an alternative to the card mode, so you can quickly compare ratings in a list.

Also, fair enough that you can't quit a tournament, but what happens if you wandered into one that is really slow to fill up? Maybe there should be a max wait time after which you can quit.

Last edited by treedom; 03-25-2021 at 04:03 PM.
treedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 04:16 PM   #35
ncap99
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by treedom View Post
Also, fair enough that you can't quit a tournament, but what happens if you wandered into one that is really slow to fill up? Maybe there should be a max wait time after which you can quit.
I posted something almost identical in the bug report forums, in case it was unintended. One thing I noticed is you CAN leave as long as you haven't drafted yet, so maybe wait a bit to see if it is filling up before you commit to it by initiating the draft. I do agree there should be some sort of time out considering we're limited to one concurrent perfect draft. I am hoping it is a non issue after tomorrow when hopefully quite a bit more people will be engaging with the perfect draft system.
Old 03-25-2021, 06:08 PM   #36
JesseBarfield
Bat Boy

I like the randomness nature because it forces you to think about tradeoffs in a way that isn't seen in the rest of PT. However it seemed to take a long time contacting the server between rounds. I didn't time it so I don't actually know if it was effecting my 20 minutes on the clock but it certainly felt like I was wasting time between sets of cards.
JesseBarfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 06:27 PM   #37
jrgst3
Minors (Double A)

Wanted to start by saying I LOVE the idea and the expansion to include this type of game. I really like it so far, so my suggestions or impressions are just wishlist minor things.

1. I'd love to see what position the player is listed to the side or top/bottom of the card. Sometimes I have trouble reading what position is listed on a card depending on font/color

2. For the running tally of drafts at the bottom I'd love to see all positions listed with a number drafted beside it, rather than just showing the position with a number after there has been a pick. Kind of like a fantasy draft counter.

Just my first impressions, but overall love it so far!
jrgst3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 02:32 AM   #38
ncap99
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Jardine View Post
As we said during the reveal stream, this is version 1.0 and will remain in place until we are happy with the progress of development and data of how users interact with it. While additional formats are possible, we have no timeline to introduce them in-game
Based on this thread at least, the feedback in general has been super positive for the format as a whole. Most of the situations are UI/UX related.

Put me down as a +1 for perfect draft seasons and additional formats as soon as possible. I think things like gold only drafts, different era only, etc would be a lot of fun. I don't think I'm alone in feeling that the team building aspect is the most enjoyable part of the game and getting to do it frequently is a great contrast to the perfect team normal league grind.
Old 03-26-2021, 05:33 AM   #39
daves
Hall Of Famer

The card designs are much improved!

daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 06:25 AM   #40
csherwood001
Minors (Rookie Ball)

As a person that could probably use a new vision prescription, I sometimes find it had to read the names and positions of players on the cards. I would love to see that info in normal type above or below each card available to be drafted.
csherwood001 is offline   Reply With Quote