Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 22 > OOTP 22 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 22 - General Discussions Everything about the brand new 2021 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB and the MLBPA.

Old 01-13-2022, 11:14 PM   #21
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curve Ball Dave View Post
I considered doing something like this once. Then I thought about it. If everyone is "great", then no one is great. Creating a league of only the best of all time simply shifts the ratings of an average player a little higher.

But that's just me.
It doesn't feel right to me to have a guy who real life was a starting shortstop for ten years in a sim as a career backup infielder.

rudel,dietrich is right

1967 World Series A's and Pirates - A Short Story in several parts
Brad K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 11:22 PM   #22
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

JRock, we're just talking. All kinds of sims are possible.

Luckyman has a fun one that surmises the greatest players of all time were on the Titanic or something and he's left with a league of average or lesser players who are now stars. It's a fun read in the historic forum. That league has the opposite situation of what you will encounter. Players there out perform real life.

rudel,dietrich is right

Old 01-14-2022, 03:21 AM   #23
luckymann
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad K View Post
JRock, we're just talking. All kinds of sims are possible.

Luckyman has a fun one that surmises the greatest players of all time were on the Titanic or something and he's left with a league of average or lesser players who are now stars. It's a fun read in the historic forum. That league has the opposite situation of what you will encounter. Players there out perform real life.
I also have the Paragon League, which does pretty much what you're seeking here, with the GOATs playing a 21-season closed-end league. Despite the compression, I am still having some of my favourite OOTP fun with it. As Brad said, it's all about one's expectations. The PBL is in its second season and a bunch of guys - McCovey, Mize, Beltre, Bonds (Barry, although Dad is in there as well), Bellinger, Trout and Mantle - are battling it out for the HR crown. With about 30 games left in the season Beltre is ahead by one with 39.

Re LTMs, if I understood them better I would try and lift the totals for this league so that there were more dingers to distribute without it putting the whole equation out of whack. Sadly, I do not. Happy to take submissions.

Last edited by luckymann; 01-14-2022 at 03:43 AM.
luckymann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 09:06 AM   #24
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

It seems ratings alone can't produce overall historical output in a historical game hence the LTM feature. However if it's just fine tuning, then it should be disabled for a game of all stars or no stars. There is no reason to impose stats produced by a normal talent mix onto an atypical talent mix.

rudel,dietrich is right

Old 01-14-2022, 10:13 AM   #25
luckymann
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It seems ratings alone can't produce overall historical output in a historical game hence the LTM feature. However if it's just fine tuning, then it should be disabled for a game of all stars or no stars. There is no reason to impose stats produced by a normal talent mix onto an atypical talent mix.
Yeah, we can get too fixated on bigger counting offensive stats, which is understandable. For the PBL I'm taking more of a relative view than absolute. If Bonds hits 500 HR and Ruth 475, then Bonds was better in this save. Plus I'll be deep-diving into the advanced metrics for these comparisons which don't have the same "stigma" of absolute historical benchmarks attached.

The pitcher wins total is similarly compressed so far, with maybe just Addie Joss getting 20 last year and nobody looking likely in this one. Most have hovered around .500. I'll be treating this the same when I do my analysis.
Old 01-14-2022, 11:10 AM   #26
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Well, my point on being stuck with LTMs is that taking the top players (or bottom players) likely doesn't produce the same talent in different areas as that which produced the LTMs.

Let's call the talent of the original full list of players 100. Hitting, pitching, and fielding are all 100.

Now let's create a league of star players. The talent of that selection might be hitting 160, pitching 140, and fielding 90. But LTM calculations will make them all 100. That wouldn't matter if they were all 150 or 130 or whatever. But it does matter since they're not all the same.

rudel,dietrich is right

Old 01-14-2022, 08:18 PM   #27
luckymann
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well, my point on being stuck with LTMs is that taking the top players (or bottom players) likely doesn't produce the same talent in different areas as that which produced the LTMs.

Let's call the talent of the original full list of players 100. Hitting, pitching, and fielding are all 100.

Now let's create a league of star players. The talent of that selection might be hitting 160, pitching 140, and fielding 90. But LTM calculations will make them all 100. That wouldn't matter if they were all 150 or 130 or whatever. But it does matter since they're not all the same.
For historical saves, they do become something of a limitation as soon as you introduce any new players (or, more importantly, their offensive output) into the universe and try to apply those same totals to the new group. I'm finding this with my Bucs save and the NeL guys. It was actually you that set me straight a while back on tempering my expectations in this regard under these circumstances, so I'm completely fine with Ruth et al hitting 10-15% fewer dingers if it means I get to see Biz Mackey rattling the fences in the bigs. As I said, if I could figure out the best way of amending this without completely upsetting the statistical apple cart, I would do it in a heartbeat. But as it stands, I'm OK with how it is panning out in both of these saves.
Old 01-15-2022, 09:11 PM   #28
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

The LTM system is a bandaid for something. Whatever it's doing it passes the test of no adverse effects under casual observation most of the time.

rudel,dietrich is right

Last edited by Brad K; 01-15-2022 at 09:14 PM.
Old 01-16-2022, 05:05 AM   #29
hfield007
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock77420 View Post
Think I actually got it now. Lol. One question though. Is there a faster way to import the players you want? A word program or tool that will get the players ID faster than me having to do each player myself and copy and paste?
the link in my signature contains a quickstart with 2500 plus players of all time measured in their 7 year primes. youd just need to release all players, delete teams and create a new league within it. ive tinkered with ratings and things since posting it so it is a little outdated compared to what im currently using but still kinda does what ya want.
hfield007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 01:07 PM   #30
JRock77420
Bat Boy

Thanx guys. I finally got it figured out. Taking forever to add my players though. Lol
JRock77420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 06:33 PM   #31
daves
Hall Of Famer

Nice, So I can import more than one player?

daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 07:09 PM   #32
LansdowneSt
Hall Of Famer

Yup. Fill out that txt file and when importing use the “select file” option instead of entering/importing each player one by one. That way too, it is easy to swap out a player if this is a world you want to mix up a little in the future as you’d just need to tweak the text file.
LansdowneSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2024, 03:39 PM   #33
Eagles521
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfield007 View Post
the link in my signature contains a quickstart with 2500 plus players of all time measured in their 7 year primes. youd just need to release all players, delete teams and create a new league within it. ive tinkered with ratings and things since posting it so it is a little outdated compared to what im currently using but still kinda does what ya want.
Im trying to (maybe) do an all-time players league , w/ a draft. Sounds like a lot of work which is fine but the fact I dont know how to import multiple players on my MAC makes it seem impossible to even start.

I dont see any signature?

Last edited by Eagles521; 09-02-2024 at 03:41 PM.
Eagles521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2024, 04:58 PM   #34
LansdowneSt
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagles521 View Post
Im trying to (maybe) do an all-time players league , w/ a draft. Sounds like a lot of work which is fine but the fact I dont know how to import multiple players on my MAC makes it seem impossible to even start.

I dont see any signature?
From the same place you import individual players, it gives the option to import a csv or txt file that you create so you can give OOTP a list of players to import at the same time. Here is a sample list.

Just list the person's ID (easy to get from their BBR website) and the year to bring them in at.
Attached Files
File Type: txt OOTP mass import example v2.txt (2.3 KB, 10 views)

Just my Facegen Pack: https://www.mediafire.com/file_premi..._Pack.zip/file
LansdowneSt is offline   Reply With Quote