Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 23 > Perfect Team 23
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team 23 Perfect Team 23 - The online revolution! Battle tens of thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 01-27-2023, 10:33 PM   #1
HomerD
Minors (Double A)

Some Lessons need to be re-learned

Missions where you need to collect ALL the cards are very seldom completed. This point was raised a couple of years ago and the policy was changed.
HomerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 12:29 AM   #2
Samsqaunch52
Bat Boy

So true... Those missions just frustrate me, because the prices become super-inflated and you either play the long odds and try to pull a copy or buy the uber-inflated card, if even available.

I miss PT22 auctions...
Samsqaunch52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 12:35 AM   #3
PunishedF2P
Major Leagues

Big agree. Those two golds for two of these recent pack missions, the prices are hilarious. If I pulled one, I would sell it - significantly more value than the packs.

The Topps Bunt mission set is just bad - to require every card AND include 9 (!) non-live perfects - that's just ridiculous; and makes the missions either impossible or insanely expensive (real $). Had those 9 perfects been diamonds instead, at least it would have been more reasonable - but the top diamonds are still going for 90K-150K.

I have 25/30 complete - I still need Cortes, Kirk, Adams (diamonds) - and then Scherzer and Turner (perfects). I'm sitting on 500-700K in cards I could sell/PP, so I could technically finish it now with buy orders - but I'm waiting for the next Milestone missions to drop, and I'll see what I need for those - then try to pick up these 5 guys. The cards are awesome, the mission set is the absolute worst.

Has anyone F2P completed the Topps Bunt set yet?
PunishedF2P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 03:25 AM   #4
Hwilensky
All Star Reserve

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
This whole year was a disaster, beginning with the launch. That being said it was also nothing short of a complete money grab, I am all for companies making money, but at least in years past it wasn't so blatantly obvious, and you felt like you had chance to compete.
Hwilensky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 10:03 AM   #5
Kushiel
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwilensky View Post
This whole year was a disaster, beginning with the launch. That being said it was also nothing short of a complete money grab, I am all for companies making money, but at least in years past it wasn't so blatantly obvious, and you felt like you had chance to compete.
I absolutely agree. In 20 years this is the first time that I thought OOTP was poorly planned from the start. The poor planning and perceived(by many including me) corporate greed made this edition of PT seem like a grind for the first time. Tens of thousands of PP for a Gold Card needed by most to complete a mission causes bad taste to plenty of us. Then this week they are going to "help us" with a point sale. I almost forgot; they raised the price for sale points. Oh but they dropped the cost of some packs. Only expensive packs though.

Kushiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 10:46 AM   #6
bailey
Hall Of Famer

I don't understand the negativity of this thread. I think PT23 was the best design ever and each year they find a way to improve it. Was the delayed launch their fault because they failed to anticipate server changes?

Why is it so important to be able to complete missions? I love this mission structure because I sell into it. If I see a 5000 point buy order for an iron card am I a greedy bastard for filling it?

Corporate greed? Don't make laugh.
50-60 free packs each week from twitch drop
10 packs for winning bo7 iron tournament with a team that costs less than the retail price of 1 pack (and is infinitely reusable). In PT20 you got 4 packs for winning.
perfect draft, easily worth 1 million points of the course of the year.
achievement points -- 15000 points a week (average) at the diamond level.
loyalty packs that seem to increase each year you play.
live card updates -- if you can master this you can thrive in perfect league.
OOTP Go -- enabling you to play the game without even buying the game.

It has never been easier to thrive at the diamond level without spending a dime.

bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 10:53 AM   #7
HRBaker
Hall Of Famer

Agreed. Once it became obvious a lot of $$ was going to have to be spent to move forward, a lot of folks just "gave up". As others have said, the "money grab" part of this argument was a foregone conclusion once com2US bought OOTP. The bottom line is com2US doesn't care about F2P or limited investment players because they are all about $$$.

V24 will come out and I will buy it. I will play PT with little or no $$ until late summer when I can't improve anymore, and then simply pull packs in the hope of winning the lottery. There is always the classic game to go back to.

All that said, we all know it was only a matter of time before the OOTP team would either have to sell the game to someone else or eventually close up shop. People don't live forever, and neither do games. com2US gave them the opportunity to sell the game AND stay on staff - the best of both worlds - for now.

By the way? The last couple months I've been having a ball with the classic game

PS to bailey: We're going to have to agree to disagree

PSS to bailey: The difference between players like you and me is you LIVE in Perfect Team. You see the challenge and are willing to spend whatever effort is necessary to find a way to win. That's an honorable goal, but I suspect there are also many players like me. I love baseball and Perfect Team isn't quiet "baseball". I also have too many hobbies and interests to spend most of my time trying to figure out how I can best spend my PT points. I also do not have $500 or $1000 (or more to insure I win) to put into the game each year, and I'm also 76 years old and don't feel like I have to "win" to enjoy myself at something. I'm glad folks like yourself love the game, and I'm sure there are enough of you to make com2US and OOTP happy, but I have to admit I'm not their "target audience". I'm still in love with the classic game and will continue playing for that reason only.

Last edited by HRBaker; 01-28-2023 at 11:05 AM.
HRBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 12:34 PM   #8
Kushiel
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey View Post
I don't understand the negativity of this thread. I think PT23 was the best design ever and each year they find a way to improve it. Was the delayed launch their fault because they failed to anticipate server changes?.
Yes the delayed launch was their fault. You know, the buck stops here.

I am glad you think it is the best PT yet. I respect that. I just think it is the worse. It seems every year now they close out players that just don't have the time that you do or the funds of some others. That is not healthy in the long run.

Corporate greed:

Do you notice that almost every time there is a really good drop of content there is a PP sale? This is to make profit more than to help you get the cards.

Do you notice that these really good content drops are like the build a player, Platinum, and CC missions? You can hardly draw the cards at all for several weeks; then they just flow like other cards in the packs.

These are just a couple of the things that have driven most of the players that I play with away from the game.

I am all for the company making profit. I just wish they would be less blatant.

PS HRBaker; As another septuagenarian (73) I understand completely.

Old 01-28-2023, 01:08 PM   #9
bailey
Hall Of Famer

None of those things bother me, ie corporate greed, or the fate of casual players. What does bother me is the brazen cheating on the official stream channel by Rich Grisham last month. Where he gifted himself ~20 choice packs and is using those players to compete against the general public with the team Twenty One Pilots.

Old 01-28-2023, 04:47 PM   #10
PunishedF2P
Major Leagues

Quote:
I don't understand the negativity of this thread. I think PT23 was the best design ever and each year they find a way to improve it. Was the delayed launch their fault because they failed to anticipate server changes?

Why is it so important to be able to complete missions? I love this mission structure because I sell into it. If I see a 5000 point buy order for an iron card am I a greedy bastard for filling it?

Corporate greed? Don't make laugh.
50-60 free packs each week from twitch drop
10 packs for winning bo7 iron tournament with a team that costs less than the retail price of 1 pack (and is infinitely reusable). In PT20 you got 4 packs for winning.
perfect draft, easily worth 1 million points of the course of the year.
achievement points -- 15000 points a week (average) at the diamond level.
loyalty packs that seem to increase each year you play.
live card updates -- if you can master this you can thrive in perfect league.
OOTP Go -- enabling you to play the game without even buying the game.

It has never been easier to thrive at the diamond level without spending a dime.
I have to agree with Bailey 100% here - although I still agree with OP that the missions requiring every card (especially Topps Bunt!) have been a nightmare this year.

But otherwise, this is one of the best F2P games. I've dominated fairly well - been to Perfect League 3 times, made the playoffs in 10+ seasons straight in Diamond League and about to have my 6th straight season of 100+ wins in Diamond.

Every mission set completed except Topps Bunt (25 of 30, almost there, as noted above). If I just had a bit of pack luck, I may be a Top 10 team.

Competing at this level is impossible in every other sports / sports card game I'm aware of.

I just wish more people were playing the game, it's definitely been too bad seeing the total userbase drop off so much.
Old 01-28-2023, 11:19 PM   #11
Hwilensky
All Star Reserve

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
And the pack "randomness" is complete BS, I have opened 1000's of packs, because I AM one of those that wins tournaments, and the fact that I have not pulled a card for a mission that needs to be completed over the last several weeks is BS. I have not pulled a single card for the CC5 missions in weeks. Yet I have 20 Sean Reid-Foleys, and 15 Ronald Bolanos, that if I quick sell will get me .001 of they to one card I need for any of those missions. Woohoo....said no one ever.
Hwilensky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 09:13 AM   #12
Kushiel
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwilensky View Post
And the pack "randomness" is complete BS, I have opened 1000's of packs, because I AM one of those that wins tournaments, and the fact that I have not pulled a card for a mission that needs to be completed over the last several weeks is BS. I have not pulled a single card for the CC5 missions in weeks. Yet I have 20 Sean Reid-Foleys, and 15 Ronald Bolanos, that if I quick sell will get me .001 of they to one card I need for any of those missions. Woohoo....said no one ever.
Exactly, they now dribble out the new content in packs. It is obvious if you open enough packs. The randomness is only in the cards that are allowed to be in the packs at a given time. I have opened as many as 525 packs Friday morning after a Mission release on Thursday. The kicker is not drawing one single Mission Card in those packs. Similar numbers have happened too often to too many people.

Old 01-29-2023, 09:33 PM   #13
bailey
Hall Of Famer

All I know is that achievement points, perfect draft, login rewards and "call your shot" were worth to me since I started play in August about 1.5 million points, yet I've spent over 8 million on my team. The balance can only be accounted for by the 5118 packs I've opened. Packs are NOT crap. The problem may be wasting too many points on completing crappy missions. On the other hand, my team has an L10 of only 5 million points, so I suppose I could've spent 3 million on missions and have the same team I have now, since I spent a million on the two CC toppers. I think I need to do a better job of not chasing the early cards like Gehrig (525K) now 82K, Pujols (745K) now 265K and so many more.

Edit: Even Ty Cobb which I bought today for L10 (850K) is a few hours later down to 815K L10, I guess, I should have put in a buy order for a lot, lot less. Another lesson to learn.

Last edited by bailey; 01-29-2023 at 09:46 PM.
Old 01-30-2023, 01:28 PM   #14
PunishedF2P
Major Leagues

Quote:
All I know is that achievement points, perfect draft, login rewards and "call your shot" were worth to me since I started play in August about 1.5 million points, yet I've spent over 8 million on my team. The balance can only be accounted for by the 5118 packs I've opened. Packs are NOT crap. The problem may be wasting too many points on completing crappy missions. On the other hand, my team has an L10 of only 5 million points, so I suppose I could've spent 3 million on missions and have the same team I have now, since I spent a million on the two CC toppers. I think I need to do a better job of not chasing the early cards like Gehrig (525K) now 82K, Pujols (745K) now 265K and so many more.

Edit: Even Ty Cobb which I bought today for L10 (850K) is a few hours later down to 815K L10, I guess, I should have put in a buy order for a lot, lot less. Another lesson to learn.
Man, I've been wanting that Cobb.

Yeah, I'm not sure anymore whether completing all the missions is actually the way to go or not - On the one hand, my OOTP era teams are fire because of completing most of the Topps Bunt, but on the flip side, I could have bought Ohtani and probably Cobb too for the price of having it nearly complete. I think there is an argument for both.

I'm just too far down this path to change course now - Barring the final Milestone mission sets being impossible, I should finish the year with every mission complete, which is a small accomplishment in its own right.
Old 01-30-2023, 02:07 PM   #15
HRBaker
Hall Of Famer

Many of the missions are ultimately not worth it, but early in the game they are inexpensive ways to make improvements. The trick is to know when to give up on certain missions and focus on new ones... but then, that's the level of effort that results in many of us (like me) throwing our hands up and saying the hell with it LOL.
HRBaker is offline   Reply With Quote