Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 01-14-2020, 10:47 AM   #21
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
I do, in one pitch mode The game strives to give the illusion of playing\seeing a real game. Let it do it's thing.

If you want to race through a click fest then instant results in text mode is perfect for that.
Alright, you guys have won me over

In fact, I'd now like to see one-pitch mode expanded to see even more pitches to intensify the drama.

It's pretty boring that all most all the time a pitch results in some kind of event in the game. So, along the lines of long foul balls being shown, I'd like to see a random called ball or strike every now and then just to heighten my anticipation. That would really improve this one-pitch mode - more pitches
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 02:36 PM   #22
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

LOL I was really just asking this question in the OP a little "tongue in cheek". I certainly don't want anyone to think I was complaining. Pretty funny how many people want to conserve the rare long foul balls or dropped pick off attempts though. I never knew they were so important.
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 04:48 PM   #23
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyzalot View Post
LOL I was really just asking this question in the OP a little "tongue in cheek". I certainly don't want anyone to think I was complaining. Pretty funny how many people want to conserve the rare long foul balls or dropped pick off attempts though. I never knew they were so important.
Not sure why it's funny if it takes away from the reality the game is trying to simulate?
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 06:02 PM   #24
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Not sure why it's funny if it takes away from the reality the game is trying to simulate?
I don't see how not seeing a foul ball "takes away from the reality" any more than not seeing any other type of foul ball, or called strike, or called ball...
Old 01-14-2020, 06:49 PM   #25
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
I don't see how not seeing a foul ball "takes away from the reality" any more than not seeing any other type of foul ball, or called strike, or called ball...
Goes right back to the "phantom error" and not knowing, without digging why runs were unearned when they looked to be earned.

Not seeing how making something confusing is funny?

Now to me, it is funny to see how the extreme minority want to eliminate what(?) maybe 6 clicks over the course of a 162 game season to save time. Really? I have 255 hours and 2 1\2 seasons in vXX. Right now I'm sitting here thinking "if we could only have made these requested changes I'd have saved about 12 seconds of my life for something else"

Quote:
I have no idea how you know what happens purely from watching the animation. You just assume the guy is really slow and the catcher is a ball hog when he follows a ball into the outfield to throw a runner out at the base? Anyways, one pitch doesn't pause after a bunch of foul balls even though it may make your reliever cross the "tired" threshhold. That seems like a more important thing than a random foul ball or unsuccessful pick off attempt.
The bold in his post really hits the point of how some requests get implemented and hurt the game. As I mentioned in my reply to this post batters fouling off several pitches during an AB was a part of OOTP many versions ago. Some complained it was too many clicks. Just include them all in the current PBP (sound familiar?). The trouble is, as Dyzalot noted a RP could cross his tired threshold without recourse. If clicks were required for each foul ball, as before, one could at least select "pitch to contact" to try to end the AB. Instead the "I want to play a game but have as few clicks as possible crowd" won the day. Congratulations
Old 01-14-2020, 06:57 PM   #26
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:
Goes right back to the "phantom error" and not knowing, without digging why runs were unearned when they looked to be earned.

Now to me, it is funny to see how the extreme minority want to eliminate what(?) maybe 6 clicks over the course of a 162 game season to save time. Really? I have 255 hours and 2 1\2 seasons in vXX. Right now I'm sitting here thinking "if we could only have made these requested changes I'd have saved about 12 seconds of my life for something else"

The bold in his post really hits the point of how some requests get implemented and hurt the game. As I mentioned in my reply to this post batters fouling off several pitches during an AB was a part of OOTP many versions ago. Some complained it was too many clicks. Just include them all in the current PBP (sound familiar?). The trouble is, as Dyzalot noted a RP could cross his tired threshold without recourse. If clicks were required for each foul ball, as before, one could at least select "pitch to contact" to try to end the AB. Instead the "I want to play a game but have as few clicks as possible crowd" won the day. Congratulations
I thought "one click" was as few clicks as possible while those that like clicks could choose to play pitch by pitch? Why do you "pitch by pitch" guys want to turn "one pitch" into the same as "pitch by pitch". The argument that showing foul balls is like showing a dropped foul ball makes no sense. At least the dropped foul ball explanation makes sense even if I think it is silly. But to say that the .1% of foul balls that are shown, are done so for the player to not be confused about something in the box score could be said for every foul ball.

One last point. How about we return to my perspective which is watching the game play out while simming. All I can do is click the button "continue". There are no decisions for me to make ever. What purpose is there in me having to click it extra times during a game just to enjoy watching my team play? How about when all the decisions are made by the AI then "one click" actually means "one click" and then when you guys are actually playing out a game as the manager in that mode, you still get all your quirky extra clicks?
Old 01-14-2020, 08:40 PM   #27
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:

I'll take the over on your estimate of the number of clicks.

As I've said, I can (sorta) see the point of the attempted pickoff at first and the error on a foul - still, I don't want to see them. I accept, as everyone should, that in playing one pitch, you're going to miss some things. But showing a foul ball - total waste of time.
Old 01-15-2020, 07:22 AM   #28
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I thought "one click" was as few clicks as possible while those that like clicks could choose to play pitch by pitch? Why do you "pitch by pitch" guys want to turn "one pitch" into the same as "pitch by pitch". The argument that showing foul balls is like showing a dropped foul ball makes no sense. At least the dropped foul ball explanation makes sense even if I think it is silly. But to say that the .1% of foul balls that are shown, are done so for the player to not be confused about something in the box score could be said for every foul ball.

One last point. How about we return to my perspective which is watching the game play out while simming. All I can do is click the button "continue". There are no decisions for me to make ever. What purpose is there in me having to click it extra times during a game just to enjoy watching my team play? How about when all the decisions are made by the AI then "one click" actually means "one click" and then when you guys are actually playing out a game as the manager in that mode, you still get all your quirky extra clicks?
There's no answers for the bold because it simply doesn't matter to users. Now sure what else to say...

In any case I thought your original point was it gave you an advantage as you shouldn't be allowed to change your strategy if it is indeed "one pitch" mode? Now it's just a nuisance as you watch? Which is it?

In any case I guess it sucks to be you, maybe a finger brace can at least limit injury
Old 01-15-2020, 09:31 AM   #29
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

I can see both sides of this, but in the end, the few extra clicks really don't bother me. This got me thinking back to when foul balls were first added to one pitch(may have even been before pitch by pitch was added)the game. No idea what version it was. Problem back then is you often got 2 or 3 during an at bat and I remember lots of complaints. Markus addressed it pretty quickly and it evolved into what we have today. I play classic 2D with short pbp/instant. Not that big of a deal to have to hit the space bar a few extra times.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 12:51 PM   #30
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
. Not that big of a deal to have to hit the space bar a few extra times.
Not a big deal to not see a foul ball that changes nothing

They should have coded in a dialogue box that opens up when you select one-pitch mode that says "when you select this option you will not see foul balls that change nothing in the game, attempted pickoffs that do not result in outs, or errors on foul balls".

Then the people who like making extra clicks could click "ok" on that dialogue box every game.

The rest of us could click "disregard this dialogue for future games" once
Old 01-15-2020, 01:46 PM   #31
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:
T

In any case I thought your original point was it gave you an advantage as you shouldn't be allowed to change your strategy if it is indeed "one pitch" mode? Now it's just a nuisance as you watch? Which is it?
Which is it? It is exactly as I have explained in this thread. But if you can quote me about having some kind of advantage because of extra clicks, be my guest. I find your post very disrespectful to be accusing me of something with zero evidence, just sayin'
Old 01-15-2020, 02:13 PM   #32
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
Not a big deal to not see a foul ball that changes nothing

They should have coded in a dialogue box that opens up when you select one-pitch mode that says "when you select this option you will not see foul balls that change nothing in the game, attempted pickoffs that do not result in outs, or errors on foul balls".

Then the people who like making extra clicks could click "ok" on that dialogue box every game.

The rest of us could click "disregard this dialogue for future games" once
And I would love it if that feature were to exist. While there at it, they could add a results only play by play. I know what baseball looks like. So GO 6-3, or FO 8 is enough for me. I don't read the pbp more often than not anyway. Just look for play result.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 07:30 PM   #33
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Which is it? It is exactly as I have explained in this thread. But if you can quote me about having some kind of advantage because of extra clicks, be my guest. I find your post very disrespectful to be accusing me of something with zero evidence, just sayin'
These are your posts talking about having chances to change strategy.

"I now get to" "whether I should get to" Your words, your posts, you saying "I".

You go on talking about "such that one would change their strategy". I'll give that you said "one" but up til here you've said "I" enough that I have to believe your still talking about you. Why bring it up otherwise? Why would you worry about what others could or could not do in their solo game?

Quote:
Why is this sometimes "more than one pitch" mode? It isn't a common thing but it certainly tends to happen more than once per game. One example is showing the catcher trying to pick off the guy at first but he's safe. Could happen on any count but means I now get to act on two different pitches for that batter. Another example is showing a random foul ball into the stands. This example is less common. Even showing me a dropped foul ball which results in an error and a continuing at bat for the batter seems debatable to me as to whether I should get another pitch to make decisions on in "one pitch" mode. Anyways, obviously nothing game breaking. Just a question I've had for a while so decided to ask.
Quote:
Notice nothing I pointed out involves the situation changing such that one would change their strategy. However, one might have a slightly different infield strategy with a runner on first compared to a runner on second, or third, or none at all because he scored. Foul balls in the stands change nothing. Unsuccessful pick off attempts change nothing. Dropped foul balls that are errors change nothing. I'm just asking why "one pitch" isn't as advertised.
Talk about insulting... here you suggest that I watch the animation and think the C actually goes to the OF to throw a runner out at 1b. You insinuate I don't have the sense to know this is a play that simply isn't being shown properly. Did I complain? No, I just took the time to assure you in my response that I didn't need the pbp to help me out. Than in fact I understood it was an error in how the game showed the play.

Quote:
I have no idea how you know what happens purely from watching the animation. You just assume the guy is really slow and the catcher is a ball hog when he follows a ball into the outfield to throw a runner out at the base? Anyways, one pitch doesn't pause after a bunch of foul balls even though it may make your reliever cross the "tired" threshhold. That seems like a more important thing than a random foul ball or unsuccessful pick off attempt.
For a "tongue in cheek" topic you sure have a way of going on and on. I'll say it again.... the amount of clicks you've made typing in this thread would get you through a 100 seasons of OOTP and foul balls
Old 01-15-2020, 07:41 PM   #34
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 10:18 PM   #35
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Yes, I was using it informally as a hypothetical as if I was playing a game out. However, where did I make a statement about an "advantage"? Advantage over whom? I don't see any quotes there about it giving me an advantage over someone or something(?)

Also the part you call "insulting" was also "tongue in cheek".

Quote:
For a "tongue in cheek" topic you sure have a way of going on and on. I'll say it again.... the amount of clicks you've made typing in this thread would get you through a 100 seasons of OOTP and foul balls
Yeah but I wouldn't have the fun of being disrespected with straw man arguments and out of context innuendos if I just did that.

Last edited by Dyzalot; 01-15-2020 at 10:23 PM.
Old 01-15-2020, 10:25 PM   #36
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:
Hmm... ok maybe this is just because of the perspective I'm coming from. I never see the above happen. That is apparently because I am playing in "one pitch" mode where the AI makes all decisions. Certainly from that perspective you get my point? I'm basically just clicking "continue" for each batter and yet sometimes I have to click "continue" twice for a batter. Again, not like I'm really complaining about anything but I was just kind of confused.
Note this post? The second one I made as clarification immediately after someone first responded just in case? Yeah...
Old 01-15-2020, 10:54 PM   #37
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Note this post? The second one I made as clarification immediately after someone first responded just in case? Yeah...
Keep moving those goal posts
Old 01-15-2020, 11:02 PM   #38
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:
Keep moving those goal posts
What advantage?
Old 01-16-2020, 12:11 AM   #39
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Surely we have beaten this dead horse enough by now.

The Denver Brewers of the W.P. Kinsella League--
The fun starts here(1965-1971: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=289570
And continues here (1972-1976): https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=300500
On we go (1977- 1979): https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=314601
For ongoing and more random updates on the WPK:https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=325147, https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=330717
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 07:50 AM   #40
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
There's no answers for the bold because it simply doesn't matter to users. Now sure what else to say...

In any case I guess it sucks to be you, maybe a finger brace can at least limit injury
Quote:
What accusation? What do you think you're being accused of?

The post simply states I thought, from your first post and then others that came later, that the ability to change strategy wasn't fair. You doubled down stating your Strat opponents would never let you change strategy. So we have to ask why? Two things come to mind... it's to your advantage or disadvantage. I assumed you wouldn't want to switch strategy to disadvantage yourself.

You then went on, in other posts, to say you only watched the games so that begged the question "which is it?", do you watch or do you play? With that being the case I could simply not understand what strategy changes could possibly have to do with the issue you brought up? A hypothetical about how you don't play the game, in a post where you only mention how it allows you to change the strategy. How could I have taken it wrong?

If you only watch games what possible concern would it be to you that others can change their strategy? If a player is managing a game then a dead ball does indeed allow one to switch. A guy hits a long loud foul ball, first base is open, there is nothing wrong with switching to "pitch around" or even "intentional walk". It's a solo game, let players play it their way.

As far as insults it's quite funny whatever you say is "tongue in cheek" whatever you hear is an insult.