Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 01-12-2020, 05:40 PM   #1
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Question about "1 pitch" mode

Why is this sometimes "more than one pitch" mode? It isn't a common thing but it certainly tends to happen more than once per game. One example is showing the catcher trying to pick off the guy at first but he's safe. Could happen on any count but means I now get to act on two different pitches for that batter. Another example is showing a random foul ball into the stands. This example is less common. Even showing me a dropped foul ball which results in an error and a continuing at bat for the batter seems debatable to me as to whether I should get another pitch to make decisions on in "one pitch" mode. Anyways, obviously nothing game breaking. Just a question I've had for a while so decided to ask.
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 05:47 PM   #2
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

You will get more than one chance anyway if f.e. you call for a steal ("4") and the runner doesn't go and the batter doesn't put the ball in play either.

I don't see the issue.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 06:21 PM   #3
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westheim View Post
You will get more than one chance anyway if f.e. you call for a steal ("4") and the runner doesn't go and the batter doesn't put the ball in play either.

I don't see the issue.
Hmm... ok maybe this is just because of the perspective I'm coming from. I never see the above happen. That is apparently because I am playing in "one pitch" mode where the AI makes all decisions. Certainly from that perspective you get my point? I'm basically just clicking "continue" for each batter and yet sometimes I have to click "continue" twice for a batter. Again, not like I'm really complaining about anything but I was just kind of confused.

Also I think I'm a bit confused about your example. If it is "one pitch" mode, and you ask your runner on first to try and steal, exactly when would the game pause for another action? It isn't like you pick a specific pitch to steal on, right? Aren't you just basically telling the runner that you want him to try and steal sometime during this plate appearance? So if the plate appearance isn't over, isn't the "steal" attempt still on?
Old 01-12-2020, 11:02 PM   #4
J Reggie
Bat Boy

I've also had this happen when an opposing batter unexpectedly shows bunt, which I appreciate. I'd rather see these things and have a few extra clicks per game than potentially miss something that may make me change my strategy.
J Reggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 11:18 PM   #5
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

See I disagree. My feeling is that if you miss it, well its 1-pitch so that's your fault. When I played Strat-O-Matic against my friends and forget to hold a runner or bring an infielder in, my opponent doesn't go "Are you sure? I was thinking of bunting or stealing here."
Old 01-13-2020, 12:49 AM   #6
CBeisbol
Banned

Pretty much in agreement with Dyzalot

The throw down to first. I don't care about being able to change my strategy. It just wastes my time to watch this play. Sure, there's a second of "will he or won't get them", but I can do without it. Just show me the plays that change the state of the game (and a throw to first doesn't change it any more than any of the pitches I'm already not seeing).

The foul ball one, also wastes time, but could see that if it wasn't shown it would cause confusion when the player looked and saw an error that "never occurred " in the game. Maybe just include it in the text instead of showing the animation. Still, lots of people, including me, wouldn't see it. I don't like it, but I can understand why it's shown

The bunt one is different. A bunt is an actual strategy to defend against, a dropped foul ball and throw down to first aren't (not in the same way - for anyone being extremely literal).
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 07:46 AM   #7
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
This adds what? 2 clicks? Please leave what is working fine and is at worst a minuscule issue alone.

If this really is a problem than a wild pitch is also an extra pitch and a waste, no? Just have the runner magically move up a base and add it to the pbp for the next batter? Passed balls too, or course.

Imagine the complaints on the C throw to first. How come the runner is always out when the C throws? Or should the C never throw at all since it adds an extra pitch?

Eliminate dropped foul balls and errors just appearing on the scoreboard? Please just no.

I suppose one can argue on the long foul ball into the stands. Not that I see many but it seems most give the "Carlton Fisk" allusion IE is it a HR or foul. Adds flavor, please leave it in rather than wast coding time taking it out. Hell, leave it all in. None is worth the time it would take to code out at best, and some would cause confusion and complaints on the boards.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 09:37 AM   #8
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
Pretty much in agreement with Dyzalot

The throw down to first. I don't care about being able to change my strategy. It just wastes my time to watch this play. Sure, there's a second of "will he or won't get them", but I can do without it. Just show me the plays that change the state of the game (and a throw to first doesn't change it any more than any of the pitches I'm already not seeing).

The foul ball one, also wastes time, but could see that if it wasn't shown it would cause confusion when the player looked and saw an error that "never occurred " in the game. Maybe just include it in the text instead of showing the animation. Still, lots of people, including me, wouldn't see it. I don't like it, but I can understand why it's shown

The bunt one is different. A bunt is an actual strategy to defend against, a dropped foul ball and throw down to first aren't (not in the same way - for anyone being extremely literal).
A throw down to first is something to be aware of and should definitely be in your defensive strategy.

Last edited by Bluenoser; 01-13-2020 at 09:54 AM.
Bluenoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 10:51 AM   #9
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
If this really is a problem than a wild pitch is also an extra pitch and a waste, no? Just have the runner magically move up a base and add it to the pbp for the next batter? Passed balls too, or course.
Notice nothing I pointed out involves the situation changing such that one would change their strategy. However, one might have a slightly different infield strategy with a runner on first compared to a runner on second, or third, or none at all because he scored. Foul balls in the stands change nothing. Unsuccessful pick off attempts change nothing. Dropped foul balls that are errors change nothing. I'm just asking why "one pitch" isn't as advertised.

Last edited by Dyzalot; 01-13-2020 at 10:52 AM.
Old 01-13-2020, 11:16 AM   #10
RchW
Hall Of Famer

I see it being exactly what I want it to be. Maybe call it "money' pitch mode.

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 01:56 PM   #11
micropterus58
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyzalot View Post
Unsuccessful pick off attempts change nothing. Dropped foul balls that are errors change nothing. I'm just asking why "one pitch" isn't as advertised.

Knowing that the CPU is aware of you on 1st base may deter you from stealing. As a failed bunt attempt with 2 strikes may deter you from bunting again. These may change your strategy. These few extra mouse clicks are not to the point of being excessive in my opinion.
micropterus58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 02:26 PM   #12
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
A throw down to first is something to be aware of and should definitely be in your defensive strategy.
Why?

I play one game where the AI is in charge of all strategies and I'm only in charge of substitutions. I've certainly never made a substitution because of an attempted pickoff or dropped foul ball.
Old 01-13-2020, 03:32 PM   #13
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Notice nothing I pointed out involves the situation changing such that one would change their strategy. However, one might have a slightly different infield strategy with a runner on first compared to a runner on second, or third, or none at all because he scored. Foul balls in the stands change nothing. Unsuccessful pick off attempts change nothing. Dropped foul balls that are errors change nothing. I'm just asking why "one pitch" isn't as advertised.
But it's one pitch mode so... it shouldn't happen.

Dropped foul balls would be an issue for me if they WERE NOT shown. Why? Because I don't read the pbp, I watch the action. I'm certainly not noticing a error "out of nowhere" appearing on the scoreboard but I am certainly wondering at games end where did that unearned run come from.

The good thing is this isn't going to change. They're not taking out errors, wild pitches, pick offs etc, they're just not
Old 01-13-2020, 08:40 PM   #14
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by micropterus58 View Post
Knowing that the CPU is aware of you on 1st base may deter you from stealing. As a failed bunt attempt with 2 strikes may deter you from bunting again. These may change your strategy. These few extra mouse clicks are not to the point of being excessive in my opinion.
Well every different pitch could change your strategy under that logic. My strategies on a 2-0 count may be totally different than a 1-2 count but "one pitch" doesn't pause after every pitch because it is "one pitch". Yes, if you tell your guy to bunt and he gets to two strikes, I'm fine with a pause there. If a guy steals a base, yes pause. But a failed pickoff attempt changes nothing. A dropped foul ball changes nothing. A long foul ball down the line that drifts into the stands changes nothing.
Old 01-13-2020, 08:44 PM   #15
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:
But it's one pitch mode so... it shouldn't happen.

Dropped foul balls would be an issue for me if they WERE NOT shown. Why? Because I don't read the pbp, I watch the action. I'm certainly not noticing a error "out of nowhere" appearing on the scoreboard but I am certainly wondering at games end where did that unearned run come from.

The good thing is this isn't going to change. They're not taking out errors, wild pitches, pick offs etc, they're just not
I have no idea how you know what happens purely from watching the animation. You just assume the guy is really slow and the catcher is a ball hog when he follows a ball into the outfield to throw a runner out at the base? Anyways, one pitch doesn't pause after a bunch of foul balls even though it may make your reliever cross the "tired" threshhold. That seems like a more important thing than a random foul ball or unsuccessful pick off attempt.
Old 01-13-2020, 11:13 PM   #16
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I have no idea how you know what happens purely from watching the animation. You just assume the guy is really slow and the catcher is a ball hog when he follows a ball into the outfield to throw a runner out at the base? Anyways, one pitch doesn't pause after a bunch of foul balls even though it may make your reliever cross the "tired" threshhold. That seems like a more important thing than a random foul ball or unsuccessful pick off attempt.
Maybe it's just me but I see an OF drop a foul ball for an error. The catcher is not in on the play Actually I'm smart enough to note when a play isn't shown properly. I don't have to rely on the pbp to "help me out" in those situations Not sure how using only the pbp is any better, does the topic of "is it a double or triple when the OF tries to throw out the lead runner" ring a bell? See there are errors in both systems. One is visual only while the other affects the stats. Which is worse?

It used to pause after every foul ball until someone complained about the clicks
Old 01-13-2020, 11:49 PM   #17
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well every different pitch could change your strategy under that logic. My strategies on a 2-0 count may be totally different than a 1-2 count but "one pitch" doesn't pause after every pitch because it is "one pitch". Yes, if you tell your guy to bunt and he gets to two strikes, I'm fine with a pause there. If a guy steals a base, yes pause. But a failed pickoff attempt changes nothing. A dropped foul ball changes nothing. A long foul ball down the line that drifts into the stands changes nothing.
Quote:
But a failed pickoff attempt changes nothing.
Except when users post about how unrealistic it is when all pick-offs result in outs.

Quote:
A dropped foul ball changes nothing.
It lets people know where an error came from and understand why a run or runs end up being unearned. Without it are we to look at the scoreboard after every play on the outside chance that an error, that was not shown, is now on the board?

Going with "phantom errors" is going to cause complaints.

Quote:
A long foul ball down the line that drifts into the stands changes nothing.
Correct, but it does add a sense of drama because some of those balls end up not being foul. Kind of like the real life game OOTP is trying to simulate. Without it every ball down the line is a HR, unlike real life. Carlton Fisk, feel free to not waste your time and start circling the bases

Are 5 extra clicks over a 162 game season really that troubling? You've clicked more keys typing in this thread than you will hit in 20 OOTP seasons due to long foul balls
Old 01-14-2020, 12:13 AM   #18
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Except when users post about how unrealistic it is when all pick-offs result in outs.

It lets people know where an error came from and understand why a run or runs end up being unearned. Without it are we to look at the scoreboard after every play on the outside chance that an error, that was not shown, is now on the board?

Going with "phantom errors" is going to cause complaints.
These two, I can see

Quote:
Correct, but it does add a sense of drama because some of those balls end up not being foul. Kind of like the real life game OOTP is trying to simulate. Without it every ball down the line is a HR, unlike real life. Carlton Fisk, feel free to not waste your time and start circling the bases

Are 5 extra clicks over a 162 game season really that troubling? You've clicked more keys typing in this thread than you will hit in 20 OOTP seasons due to long foul balls
This one, no

If you want that drama play the game out
Old 01-14-2020, 12:58 AM   #19
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
These two, I can see

This one, no

If you want that drama play the game out
I do, in one pitch mode The game strives to give the illusion of playing\seeing a real game. Let it do it's thing.

If you want to race through a click fest then instant results in text mode is perfect for that.
Old 01-14-2020, 08:53 AM   #20
BusterKing
Hall Of Famer

Don't fix what isn't broken

Leave it alone, just fine the way it is.
BusterKing is offline   Reply With Quote